Sign in to follow this  
Degraffreed

Whitish Haze

Question

To all wood restortation vets. I need to know if I am doing something wrong here.

I cleaned my deck with Restore ( percarbonate) and the used a wood brightner from Sunbrite. This is the scenario.

I wanted to test and see if there would be a difference in the way I cleaned decks.

I started by using Restore to clean three steps, mix 1cup per two gallon pump up sprayer, let dwell 15 min, Applied a second coat on all three steps, let dwell ten more minutes ( Epec suggested the second application as a brightner step), then rinsed.

Used bleach and soap on another three step, brushed and rinsed.

3. On three last steps Used one application of Restore, dwell, rinsed then Applied Wood Brightner from Sunbrite, here is the results.

On the restore steps I did twice. I had a lot of furring and appeared to be some wand marks in two of the three steps.( wondering if I let the Restore dwell to long or did I make the mix too strong. Can you make Percarbonate to strong to the point it furs the wood, with out using much pressure?)

On the Bleached steps. I did not like the results. Step did not have mold on them at all before applying Bleach mix, just testing to see the difference in using the bleach mix. Appeared have left those steps with a whitish look after it dried.

Now on the Restore and the Brightner process. I was not crazy about the results here either. I cleaned with percarbonate then while the steps were still wet applied the wood brightner( reading ingredients list as Oxalic Acid) as instructed on the container. Seems to do okay.

I guess what I am saying " is I want the same Results that BETH and Rod gets after cleaning and Nuetralizing their decks even before they apply the stain.

I wonder if there pictures posted results are different because of the different wood types. Mine is Pt Pine. 4 years old been cleaned few time per year.

HOW CAN I GET BETTER RESULTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOOKING AT THE COST OF PLANE TICKETS TO HEAD TO MARYLAND FOR SOME OJT.

DeGraffreed

35 answers to this question

Hey Henry,

How's it going?

I bought my rig from Tom Vogel, I know you are familiar with him. I am happy with it, he's a good guy and set me up well.

His take on Powerwashing is it's all in the marketing of the service, and he paid a complement to you, saying you were very good at marketing your business.

I may need your advice in the future in the marketing area.

Thanks for asking!

Lou

Lou, thanks for the compliment.

I am just over my first year in the Biz and did better than expected for the first year. I ask alot of question BECAUSE I am a perfectionist and I care about what I do. I could just go out and clean, seal a deck with a pumpup sprayer BUT I will not proceed in staining and sealing decks until I get a good understanding of wood restoration process. I turn down about six calls a week down just because I am not confident I can give the customer the quality that I think they should receive. I will continue to learn on my deck until that happens. May head to Smyrna,TN for a few days this coming month.

Degraffreed

If someone who is new, can learn to use a percarb, and get the results you get with bleach, why should they change to something that is more harsh on the lignin?
This is a question...
Just because someone learns on a percarb and gets great results doesn't make them a newbie just because they don't use bleach. Just means they use the tool they chose very effectively.
This is a personal opinion...

Beth :groovy3:

Anyone know what 30lbs of Russ efc-38 costs these days?

I am trying to choose between Russ efc38- and hd 80 or Bobs f-10 and f18. I have added fence and deck staining to my pressure washing service.

Any woods vets please give me your thoughts.

I have my first wood sealing coming up this weekend.

I was told by one person to just Bleach it, take off the light mildew and Mold. By doing this with a pump up sprayer, would eliminate soaking the deck and having to clean one day and come back after the deck is dry(1-2 days). By just bleaching it would not soak the wood and I could stain in a matter of hours. Sounds like a winner to me.

Wood vets chime in here.

P.S the deck is .3 yrs old and is made of pressure treated pine. Never been sealed.

Degraffreed

Degraffreed.

Degafreed,

You are comparing apples, oranges and pears.

EFC-38 is a percarb with a light duty striper blended in.

F-10 is a percarb.

F-18 is a potassium hydroxide based stripper.

ALL OF THESE need to be neutralized after you use them on wood.

Different tools for different jobs.

What is it you need to tackle?

Beth

does anyone know where i can get the E solutions around my area i live in wa state shiping kills me on chems but would like to try these products thanks

Sorry Beth.

Let me clarify, I have started doing deck and I have purchased the Wooddefender st250 for fence staining. I was posing the question of the two products because I am going away from Espec product and looking to try different product that could help me excel in the deck rest / cleaning part of the business. I have heard good thing about Russ's and Bob products.

For mold and mildew cleaning... No stain present... efc-38 or f-10

For stripping stain off..... Efc-38 or hd80( if needed stronger stripper that efc-38) or bobs f18 that could perform both as a mild cleaner or as strong stripper?

Degraffreed.