Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

The X-Jet debate

What method of chemical application do you prefer for housewashing?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. What method of chemical application do you prefer for housewashing?

• X-Jet
    • Downstreamer
    • Roller pump, ShurFlo etc

Between Down Streaming and X-Jetting..for me X-Jetting and Shurflo spraying crush Downstreaming..but then again I never do Fleets,Hoods and some other cleanings where Downstreaming or even Upstreaming might be the way to go.

Between Down Streaming and X-Jetting..for me X-Jetting and Shurflo spraying crush Downstreaming..but then again I never do Fleets,Hoods and some other cleanings where Downstreaming or even Upstreaming might be the way to go.

I promise you that, with downstreaming, I can clean the same house faster than you can clean it Xjetting, using the same equipment. By the time you have your first bucket ready to Xjet on the house, I'll have the first side cleaned and be shooting chems on the 2nd side. No boast, just facts. I don't have to mix my chems, I don't have get the Xjet and bucket out, unroll the hose, fill the bucket, carry it to the house, and move it at least once, likely more than that, rinse it out, and put it away. I hook up my water hose, pull my pressure hose, open the valve on the chem tank, fire the machine up, and start shooting chems. I can soap down 200' of siding without letting up on the trigger. It's just faster!

Granted, there ARE times the Xjet is necessary, as with pool cages, sometimes.

Down Streamer here with a 0030 tip. My Injector is adjustable and wide open I get 3:1. Use 16% SHC with a little Tide. Faster than ANYONE in my area using an x-jet.

I'm not sure when the last time I used my X-jet was. I guess my biggest beef with the x-jet is that it is pretty much the same amout of metal/ manufacture time to make as is a downstreamer yet costs 10 times more. Just shows me that there is a huge mark up and some one raking it in by marketing it as a miracle tool. Not much I can't do with my downstreamer and roof guys will tell you that there are a hundred ways to get chem on a surface.

Down Streamer here with a 0030 tip. My Injector is adjustable and wide open I get 3:1. Use 16% SHC with a little Tide. Faster than ANYONE in my area using an x-jet.

What size machine, and what brand downstreamer? Where do you get it? If you can get 3:1 with a downstreamer, I want one of those.

I'm not sure when the last time I used my X-jet was. I guess my biggest beef with the x-jet is that it is pretty much the same amout of metal/ manufacture time to make as is a downstreamer yet costs 10 times more.

They explained that once...all the years of research and testing to come up with this amazing product that's basically just a wide open downstreamer that works so well because there's no back pressure.

Not sure of brand.... Got it a local PW Service and sales. Citation. Had them in a box on the counter discounted to $10 each so I bought a few. They are adjustable and wide open I am getting around 3:1 but usually I leave it open only half-way so as not to use too much chem or go too strong. That is with a 4gpm.

My 5.5 gpm hasn't got one on it yet as I usually only use it for my surface cleaner.

Ok I just bought my downstreamer and I'm not sure how and where I install it.Correct me if I'm wrong. I am not using a hose reel so I qc it out from the unloader and then plug my hp hose into the other end.

Ok I just bought my downstreamer and I'm not sure how and where I install it.Correct me if I'm wrong. I am not using a hose reel so I qc it out from the unloader and then plug my hp hose into the other end.

Wherever is most convenient closest to the unloader. Definitely between the unloader and your pressure hose somewhere. If it is adjustable, make it accessible so you can shut it off if you need to do any low pressure rinsing without chem. If not, put a small ball valve in the feed line somewhere so you can shut it off that way. Sometimes I use the gun with no tip to rinse the house down after doing the driveway, expecially if there is a lot of light-weight landscaping that would blow around if I rinsed with pressure. In that case, I just shut off the downstreamer.

Hey Mike,

Could you possibly post a picture of your downstream setup? I'm more a visual kinda guy, it would help me tons to be able to see what you all are talking about. I've only used the xjet to clean homes with and am very interested in getting a downstreamer setup if it's as good as you say it is.

Thanks,

John W.

Superior Pressure Washing

Fayetteville, GA

I'm not sure when the last time I used my X-jet was. I guess my biggest beef with the x-jet is that it is pretty much the same amout of metal/ manufacture time to make as is a downstreamer yet costs 10 times more. Just shows me that there is a huge mark up and some one raking it in by marketing it as a miracle tool. Not much I can't do with my downstreamer and roof guys will tell you that there are a hundred ways to get chem on a surface.

3:1? How did you determine that?

3:1? How did you determine that?

The specs.... when I bought the injector, was told that it adusts from 20:1 to 3:1. I turn knob all the way open. Usually I adjust mix by adding water to SHC before it gets streamed depending on what the job needs.

The specs.... when I bought the injector, was told that it adusts from 20:1 to 3:1. I turn knob all the way open. Usually I adjust mix by adding water to SHC before it gets streamed depending on what the job needs.

Whatever the ratio that you're actually getting, if it works, it works! I went the route of the $50.00 SS "super" injectors, but they didn't work as good as this cheap $12.00 brass injector. I'm seriously considering watering down my mix a bit because it is almost too strong.

here is the money maker in action!! it's actually the m-5 and it's in total fan mode here. Some overspray, but it's easy enough to control when doing other stuff. Plus it was a little breazy that day.

second/third pic is my "other" money maker... my helper cleaning the gutters w/ gutter shock. Clean gutters really impress the homeowner! These were really nasty.

post-2008-137772162568_thumb.jpg

post-2008-137772162573_thumb.jpg

post-2008-137772162578_thumb.jpg

The m-5 has been my money maker also with the same set-up that you are using with a 15 gallon drum on a cart and it is a lot easier than buckets. I will be trying to downstream tomorrow with an adams injector and several size nozzles for the first time. I have to try it, to see for myself, and have an educated decision on which I like best.

The gutters look great!

What I'm confused about with downstreaming as opposed to x-jetting is which gives you the stronger mix. I would think that it would be downstreaming because unlike x-jetting you don't have to dilute the mix in the container and then further dilute it at the tip. Besides that you're now adding 4gal 10% as opposed to the 1.5 or 2 with the x-jet. So how is it that an x-jet gives you a stronger mix

Vincent, take two detergent mixes both of equal strength.

The X-Jet will dilute that mix one part water to one part detergent. (50% potency)

A downstreamer will dilute that mix six parts water to one part detergent. (16% potency)

You have to think in terms of what the final dilution is hitting the house. Either you mix your water and detergent in the bucket and refill more often using an X-Jet or you let your machine inject the water and concentrated detergent into the line. 1.5-2% sodium hypochlorite with a good synergisitc cleaner containing some TSP and sodium metasilicate will kill mold perfectly without damaging plants.

The m-5 has been my money maker also with the same set-up that you are using with a 15 gallon drum on a cart and it is a lot easier than buckets. I will be trying to downstream tomorrow with an adams injector and several size nozzles for the first time. I have to try it, to see for myself, and have an educated decision on which I like best.

The gutters look great!

Can just about guarantee that, with the right injector (one with a high enough draw rate), you'll LOVE downstreaming.

What I'm confused about with downstreaming as opposed to x-jetting is which gives you the stronger mix. I would think that it would be downstreaming because unlike x-jetting you don't have to dilute the mix in the container and then further dilute it at the tip. Besides that you're now adding 4gal 10% as opposed to the 1.5 or 2 with the x-jet. So how is it that an x-jet gives you a stronger mix

The Xjet and the downstreamer work in essentially the same way. The Xjet is able to achieve a higher draw rate I assume at least in part because it has no back pressure from the hose. The draw rate is so high (typically 2:1 or so for a 5gpm machine) that it is adviseable to dilute the wash mix a bit so as not to waste mix, and not to use a chlorine solution that is too strong.

Vincent, take two detergent mixes both of equal strength.

The X-Jet will dilute that mix one part water to one part detergent. (50% potency)

A downstreamer will dilute that mix six parts water to one part detergent. (16% potency)

The Xjet (based on their own literature) will only give you a 1:1 mix if you're using a 2.5gpm machine. With a 4gpm you get 1.6:1 and with 5gpm you get 2:1. Downstreamers, from my own experience, vary in their draw rates. I can tell you I know the one I'm using now is giving me more than 6:1. Some advertise close to a 3:1 ratio.

I downstream my truck soap, and I just can't see myself doing it for house washing. Plus, with the hand cart and 15 gallons of house wash mix, I can see when I'm going to run out of mix. Also, how high can you shoot while downstreaming (I as because I use a dual wand to truck wash and It doesn't go but 10 ft. or so)?

I downstream and shoot 30 to 40 ft. I just can't find the fun in carrying extra hose and buckets or carts around the house or whatever I am washing.

I did my first downstreaming this past weekend, and have to agree, it is much easier and less taxing on the body not having to pull a cart around tangling the soap hose with the high pressure hose. The knot monster always seems to tie my two hoses up when I'm xjetting.

I love only having to pull one hose and it only takes about 10 seconds for my line to clear (200').

I was running a 4000psi/5.5 gpm machine and using the adams injector and it worked great. It does take a little longer to kill the real bad green stuff, but that is not a big deal. It only took me one bucket of detergent for a 2300 sq foot house with a detached garage and a shed, and of course that bucket stayed at the trailer.

I want to work on trying some different nozzle sizes. I am using a 6540 for close range soaping, 0040 for long range soaping and my m-5 for all rinsing. So the m-5 still has its place, because it is great for adusting for short or long range rinsing and still has the power to get the green moss off of the foundation of houses. I need some advice on a good mid range soaping nozzle, I guess I will call Bob at Pressure Tek.

I downstream my truck soap, and I just can't see myself doing it for house washing. Plus, with the hand cart and 15 gallons of house wash mix, I can see when I'm going to run out of mix. Also, how high can you shoot while downstreaming (I as because I use a dual wand to truck wash and It doesn't go but 10 ft. or so)?

With the right tip, I can shoot just as high, or higher, as you can with the Xjet. I don't worry about running out of mix, I keep mine in a 65 gallon tank on the trailer, and I know roughly what I'll use for each job, so it's a simple matter of making sure there's enough in the tank to get the job done!

I can promise you that once you do away with the hand cart/drum/xjet setup and can just pull your hose off the reel and start spraying, you'll NEVER want to go back!

I just did a house today that was VERY wooded...on one side, I had about 5' of clearance between heavy woods and the house...no way I would have been able to drag a handcart back there, and the house was quite long (about 60') on that side...very soft ground covered with decomposing leaves, limbs, bushes, etc. It was a pain in a neck as it was, just having to drag the pressure hose back there.

With the right tip, I can shoot just as high, or higher, as you can with the Xjet. I don't worry about running out of mix, I keep mine in a 65 gallon tank on the trailer, and I know roughly what I'll use for each job, so it's a simple matter of making sure there's enough in the tank to get the job done!

I can promise you that once you do away with the hand cart/drum/xjet setup and can just pull your hose off the reel and start spraying, you'll NEVER want to go back!

I just did a house today that was VERY wooded...on one side, I had about 5' of clearance between heavy woods and the house...no way I would have been able to drag a handcart back there, and the house was quite long (about 60') on that side...very soft ground covered with decomposing leaves, limbs, bushes, etc. It was a pain in a neck as it was, just having to drag the pressure hose back there.

Ditto, listen to Mike. I was also using the hand cart with 50' of hose and a 15 gallon drum with the m-5. Downstreaming with an injector is a ton less taxing on your body and saves time and uses less chemicals with the same results.

Call Bob at Pressure Tek http://www.pressuretek.com/, and he will hook you up and have you on your way. Give it a try, it will cost you less than 50 bucks for an educated opinion, and another attack weapon for those nasty houses.icon10.gif

I never hve to move my hand cart, or untangle hoses. Did you see the picture of the guy brushing the gutters?? HE moves my stuff for me. He's young and he does what I tell him, or he gets blasted with the x-jet and he gets to walk home! LOL.

But seriously, I'm only 34 and he's 24, it's not very diffiucult moving it around. I guess it's just a matter of me trying something new.

Are you suing a rollover type system, or duall lance?