Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

The X-Jet debate

What method of chemical application do you prefer for housewashing?  

243 members have voted

1. 1. What method of chemical application do you prefer for housewashing?

• X-Jet
    • Downstreamer
    • Roller pump, ShurFlo etc

Can you control the ration with an X-Jet?

If so, how is that done?

Thanks

Hi Lou,

The xjet comes with several proportioners to control the chem ratios.

Thanks,

Mike

Can you explain that?

What are proportioners?

How are they adjusted?

Thanks

Hi Lou,

Proportioners are small plastic pieces that you place in the chem line to restrict draw. The xjet comes with several different color proportioners and each one will give you a different draw rate for your chems.

Here is a link to a Sun Brite page that explains this a little better:

http://store.yahoo.com/sunbrite/howawix.html

I don't have a picture available or I would post it. Hope this helps.

Mike

Can you explain that?

What are proportioners?

How are they adjusted?

Thanks

Throw the proportioners in the garbage. They're a pain to use, they get lost easily, and they take too much time to switch. Just adjust your mix in the bucket to whatever strength you need.

I use an 0040 on a 5.5 gpm machine on the end of an eight foot wand.

Ok I'm gonna give this a test. Up to now I've been a x-jet guy, but just ordered two nozzles one 0040 and the other 0035 as my machines are both 4 gpm. I'll see which one works well. When I test this I may be asking some of you down streamers questions till I get this process down. Maybe next year no buckets?????

Hey Ron Strickland, Why does the width of the fan deminish over time and use of the M5

Sorry you couldnt make it down for CETA, I hope all is well

Pressure Pro, Barlox is some good stuff, pricey but it has great cling

i noticed on my x-jet that when i close the ball valve(rinsing) that the stream is much tighter and shoots farther than with the ball valve open. does everyone elses do the same? i have the m-5.

Once you close the ball valve, you aren't sucking any air and/or residual chems in the xjet line. Therefore, you get more straight pressure from your pw and no interference from the above mentioned open hose. It's simple really, nothing happening at the end of the nozzle other than straight flow and pressure from your pw.

Over time with wear and tear Ive found that the fan part of M5 deminishes, I just bought a few replacement parts for M5, I got the upper black section and switched them out and I'll keep the old section for back up. The upper sections I got from Xterior for $17.50, better than buying a whole new one

what is the difference in a x jet and the 1 cat sells similar we run 3 of these.

The primary difference is draw ratio. The Xjet draws a steady 2.5gpm. From what I understand, the imitators like the cat model, or the Vjet that espec sells, don't even come close.

Another major difference is cost...but you get what you pay for.

I'm a huge x-jet fan. Hey Rod, what's your bucket lugging idea. I'm working on strapping one of those rectangle chem tubs to a dolly. Right now I devised a 5 gal bucket with a hole drilled near the top. There is a ball valve attached to the hole with a tube entering the bucket and a 8 ft tube coming out. I HATE WHEN I TURN MY BACK AND THE MIX SIPHONS OUT!

I used to downstream all chemicals but found the ball would seize and had to always make repairs. Then I found and switched to the M5 XJ and really like it. I have some issues with the claims for 30' reach, especially and mainly when drawing chemicals, but other than that it works great.

I don't mind the extra bucket and hose too much, but it does get in the way sometimes and I trip (Call me Grace!!!)

I wonder if I use too high pressure in cleaning siding, I noticed that some of you stated use of lower pressures. I should try a little lower I guess next cleaning, but thought I wouuld not get it clean.

Barlox is a great surfactant and expensive. I have been researching a distributor for larger amounts (55 gal+) to get a price break for the gal at a time thing. Any one got a handle for those quantiites and pricing?

I agree with you that the X-Jets claims of 50 feet are fantasy (maybe with an 8+ gpm machine) You're right even at 30 feet the amount of soap you are getting to the surface is minimal (unless you call that mist at the end of the stream usable). I have done maybe 45 houses using strictly downstream and the first time I had the high flow General off the machine was when I did my winterization. Never had a problem. It could have been the kind of ds'er you were using.

Wow, 55 gallons of Barlox would last a long time. You can get 6,000 housewashes out of that much. It would take me 20 years to use it all. If you could get 20 local guys to go in with you it might be worth it.

Maybe I'm wrong,but I'm thinking that psi not gpm would be the determining factor in how far the x-jet will reach. Someone enlighten me.

Actually my 5.6 gpm will shot further than my 3 & 4 Gpm machines. I think its just because its a stronger stream of water

Actually my 5.6 gpm will shot further than my 3 & 4 Gpm machines. I think its just because its a stronger stream of water

Yep! My 8gpm will hit about 15' without a tip in the gun. Sometimes if I need just a little stronger mix from the downstreamer, I'll pull the tip and soak it down with just the open end of the gun. It seems to pull a little stronger mix that way. I use a 3/8 hosebarb in a QC plug for a zero soap tip on that one.

I started out trying to downstream but couldn't get enough chem on the house so I went with the M5 X jet and love it. The 5 gallon bucket can be a pain but I keep the lid on and even if it knocks over, it won't leak. I can reach about 30 feet with a straight stream and get good chem on there.

I love having the M5 at the end of a dual lance 4' wand. I get the adjustable spray pattern with the M5 and adjustable pressure with the dual lance, best of both worlds.

I am still open to donwstreaming for the regular old, not to much mold houses but the tip sizes and downstreamer options make my brain shake.

I have a 5.6 gmp 3500 psi machine, can anyone tell me what size injector and what tips will jive.

Hey Classic, It's all about the flow, but therre is a dimenishing return for the psi.

The actual physics for distance is directly related to the nozzle lenth, size and shape of the opening and flow. PSI is a consequence of flow and size of opening (orafice)

I started downstreaming about a mo. ago and my whole attitude about housewashing has changed. I too thought the xjet was the best thing since sliced bread. no more though.

Switched to down stream late last season, I love it. Use the x-jet for rinsing and applying chemicals to roofs. But for houses I'm now a down streamer.

I spent hours and hours reading the debate on which is better. I thought x jet was the way to go. Instead of spending another 20 hours reading, I spent $50 at pressure tek and 1 hour outside and saw for myself. Having both used the x jet and the downstreamer, downstreaming is for me.

Save you time, buy both and see for yourself. You will probably find both have their uses.