Sign in to follow this  
Don Phelps

New Truck

Question

After 2 weeks of kicking it around, I finally gave in and traded my baby in for a more 'mileage friendly' truck. I'll miss her, but not the $200/month in gas she was drinking.

The new Lariat will help ease the pain......It's sweet!

post-280-137772145663_thumb.jpg

post-280-137772145925_thumb.jpg

36 answers to this question

I've got $3200 in GM Creditcard money built up, so I guess I'm gonna buy a GM here in the next couple weeks. I like Ford, and have had about 10. My next personal truck is going to be just like the one Don got, except I'm going to hold out for a couple years until they put that 4.5L diesel in the 1/2 tons.

I was waiting for the first smarta$$ to say something about that.....It's actually battery acid. Come on down and clean it up. I'll put ya up for the night and even buy ya dinner. Can you handle the FL heat? :)

I was waiting for the first smarta$$ to say something about that.....It's actually battery acid. Come on down and clean it up. I'll put ya up for the night and even buy ya dinner. Can you handle the FL heat? :)

And I'll buy the Beer and cigars.icon10.gif Hey Don I have something for it lmfao. SNAKEOIL its the best chemical I have in my arsenal lolicon12.gif

After 2 weeks of kicking it around, I finally gave in and traded my baby in for a more 'mileage friendly' truck. I'll miss her, but not the $200/month in gas she was drinking.

The new Lariat will help ease the pain......It's sweet!

$200.00/month? That's a busy week for me. $89.00 to fill up three days ago...

Nice truck! Now you just need to get it lettered.

Congratulations to all who enjoy spending money on gas. I do this part-time at this point and like it that way.

:lgbow:

I seriously doubt anyone enjoys spending money on gas. :rolleyes: It's more of a neccesity for us full timers.

Sorry, didn't realize you were part time. No offense intended. I think most just assumed you were full time, and that's an awfully low gas bill for a full time contractor, especially in an area like yours.

I don't get it guys, why are any of you still buying gas trucks when a diesel will pull any size rig you have almost and the maintance over the life of the truck is less.

No tune-ups, no spark plugs to change etc.

Oil filter, fuel filter, air cleaner, tranny oil. Rotate tires every 5000 miles.

Fuel here is $3 a gallon, give or take a penny.

Even though I am out of the business I still love my Super Duty Ford. Sure Dodge Cummins is a great engine too, better on milage then Ford but a bit less get up and go power.

Oh and nice truck by the way:)

When I bought my 05' Chevy, the diesel was about $4000 more. And, diesel fuel was at least 10-20 cents per gallon more than gasoline.

Since I don't need to tow a bazillion pounds, the gas engine made better economic sense.

My '01 3500 was gas. The thing with diesel for me is the fact that I'll probably never own one long enough to maximize it's engine life anyway. The wife and I usually try to get new vehicles every 5 years or less. The dually was purchased in '02. Many people will be downsizing soon. Gas prices probably won't have drastic drops like they used to. Just a sign of the times, I guess.

Gas for the family Cars and Diesel for the Work trucks. Diesel's can pull and get decent mpg but Gas when pulling real weight just blows a hole in you wallet kind of like a chick. Diesel trucks have great potential..gas trucks go in the shop then are sold.........

Seriously if you don't ever plan on pulling a ton and don't mind having car payments forever then gas is fine. Uh oh here come the gas guys who have alot of.......GAS:lgbounces

I still say raise your prices to compensate the Gas crunch. The 20 dollars raised for the job will help pay that gas bill. Its still about the sales...as it most of the times is.

I don't get it guys, why are any of you still buying gas trucks when a diesel will pull any size rig you have almost and the maintance over the life of the truck is less.

No tune-ups, no spark plugs to change etc.

Oil filter, fuel filter, air cleaner, tranny oil. Rotate tires every 5000 miles.

Fuel here is $3 a gallon, give or take a penny.

Even though I am out of the business I still love my Super Duty Ford. Sure Dodge Cummins is a great engine too, better on milage then Ford but a bit less get up and go power.

Oh and nice truck by the way:)

1. The Cummins was another $6k, and that was without the leather seats, power seats, towing mirrors, 4x4, etc etc.

2. Diesel costs more per gallon, often as much as $0.20 (or more).

3. They cost more to maintain, and to fix

4. They're louder

5. I don't need the additional pulling power for my trailer. If I were pulling a 30' travel trailer all day, or something similar, I'd have gone with the diesel. For what I do, I just don't need it

6. Sure, I may get more life out of the diesel, but after you factor in the added cost of the engine, the fuel, and the maintenance, am I really ahead all that much?