Chemicals

How do you prefer you chemicals?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer you chemicals?

• Powder
    • Liquid
    • Both
    • No Preference

recently cleaned tile roof of black mold using chlorine. worked well on mold. however, there was a yellowish substance that was still on the roof after cleaning. can anyone tell me what this may be? it was splotchy in places and very thin, not like any tree sap i have seen although i don't know what else it might be. any ideas will be appreciated.

recently cleaned tile roof of black mold using chlorine. worked well on mold. however, there was a yellowish substance that was still on the roof after cleaning. can anyone tell me what this may be? it was splotchy in places and very thin, not like any tree sap i have seen although i don't know what else it might be. any ideas will be appreciated.

Do you have any 'after' pics of the roof?

Post a pic on the roof so we can take a look at it..

I prefer powders for most of my stuff except of course Bleach for house washing. I've used quite a few powdered strippers now and Tom Vogel has a good one called 760. I've also tried the F18 Max and of course HD-80.

I'd have to say HD 80 is probably the stongest out of all the one's I've tried so far and being a powder it's lighter to carry than liquid products. But, Sunbrites Remove and Severe Deck Strippers can also kick some serious butt if your into liquid strippers... I'm not sure of the price difference since I only had a sample but, I'm thinking about switching over to them and Hd-80 in the next season after I use up the other stuff I've got.

I've been spending more time lately checking into the products that are out there on the market and trying to find the products with the best result and costs. I think Powders might be a bit cheaper because of the dry weight factor but it depends on how strong the product is before mixed that matters the most.. Some things are just to hazerdous to use dry, bleach for example! Measuring is another issue.. I don't want to carry a triple beam scale to measure out what I'm using! Sun Brite has these cool little bottles that are pre measured to add to your buckets.. They are also labled and easy to use if your sending out crews to do the jobs and safety is always a concern when you have employees..

We prefer powder whenever possible from the accident perspective.....if you have an accident and you have stuff all mixed up it's an instant HazMat situation. Powder can be sucked up with a shop vac!

Celeste

I prefer to use powder when possible. I like being able to mix what I need when I need it without having to tranfer the weight and bulk of liquid. Shipping and storage area is reduced, and as Celeste points out, reduced potential for Haz-Mat disposal.

There are some things that are only available as liquids, just deal with those.

We prefer powder whenever possible from the accident perspective.....if you have an accident and you have stuff all mixed up it's an instant HazMat situation. Powder can be sucked up with a shop vac!

I'm not picking on celeste But i believe i can control liquid easier than powder. Often resin hides in cracks and crannies and is very difficult to clean up even with with a vaccum.

I have always felt Liquid to be safer than powders.

I also make and label my own chemicals and enjoy saving the money. I understand that store bought liquid is double powder.

I also in flatwork could show you damage from over use of powders.

I do use powders in certain areas, dumpster and compactors. ( works great and nothing to hurt)

I'm 100% for powders. Cheaper to ship, less space and weight on the truck, easier to clean up (IMHO). I'd buy bleach in powder form if it was available. Water is cheap and heavy. I'll supply my own, thanks.

Taking the citrus house wash currently being discussed (in a different thread) as an example; Shipping to me for powders $18. Shipping to me for a 600# 55gal drum. Who knows.

There is also the strength issue. I can make a powder damagingly strong if I wish. I can never make a liquid stronger than it is when I get it.

Finally, cleanup/safety. I can fix a broken pail of HD80 with tape. I cannot do that with Remove. I can sweep up spilt EFC38 in a dust pan and reuse it. I cannot do that with bleach. If HD80 spills on my pants, I stand up and dust it off.

You can make chlorine stronger by buying the granular and mixing it in water. However, cholrine takes a little time to dissolve.

I am sure someone has tried this once or twice.

Any luck or thoughts on this.

You can make chlorine stronger by buying the granular and mixing it in water. However, cholrine takes a little time to dissolve.

I am sure someone has tried this once or twice.

Any luck or thoughts on this.

It's not the same thing...Likely calcium hypochlorite...Not as effective, and a pain to rinse properly. I don't believe you can get sodium hypochlorite (bleach, pool chlorine) in powder form.

Thanks Mike,

Your right. As soon as I posted that I remembered the difference. Having a pool for years, I should have realized that sooner. Thanks.