Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Hurricane cleanup advice wanted!!!!!

Question

I am a little reluctant to place this post for fear of being bashed in some way about my equipment or whatever standards I employ that don't match or meet certain opinions. With that said, please don't respond unless it is really directed at the point of the post. I apologize in advance (Beth & Rod) but that seems to happen more than not when I post general questions and concerns. I have what I have and I do what I do.

Here's my post:

I would like to get involved in some of the cleanup efforts( not volunteering my services, but, making some money offering my services) on the gulf coast i.e.

pressure wash resi's and commercial buildings that are dirty from the storms. New Orleans is pretty much out of the question as it is mostly government controlled entry, and I don't want to get involved with FEMA. I am talking about some of the outlying areas, Ms., Al., and outter La.

I have spoken with my ins. agent and my coverage is good to go throughout the USA. So, that's good. Plus I am waiting to hear back from him about being put on a vendors list for claims and repairs.

I am looking for input on how I can get my foot in the door other than just making the trip and showing up in a beat up neighborhood and hanging a sign on my trailer that says "house washing". I know I am not the only one who is contemplating this idea. There must be others interested in this idea as well.

Perhaps some of you have done this before or are invoved currently and would not mind sharing your approach to this potential goldmine they keep talking about on the news for contractors and "restoring".

With much respect to all, I value your opinions and input, but I will not respond to "equipment" bashing or "operational" bashing. I know that I might be sounding a bit rye by saying these points. I just would like some ideas on getting my foot in the door of these hard hit areas. One would think that these areas really could use some PW.

46 answers to this question

Be proud of your equipment. We started out with used refurbished cold water units, and went from there. It did the job on a budget.

I went surfing for site like what you are looking for and found one, where you register your company and they may or may not need you. I know there must be a number of them. I did see an article on one of the sites, talking about contacting the Army Corp of engineers. It seems they were lining up subcontractors. I would look up the American Red Cross, and also look at the Govenor's sites for the states you are interested in helping.

If I come across any I'll post them here. Hope this helps, and by the way, I'm glad you posted. Please don't ever feel shy about that. It's the last thing we want.

Beth

From my understanding to go into New Orleans you have to be Hazwoper( Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response Standard ) certified.Do any one of yall have this or knw much about it? Thanks, Duncan

From my understanding to go into New Orleans you have to be Hazwoper( Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response Standard ) certified.Do any one of yall have this or know much about it? Thanks, Duncan

I have no idea what this is but lets find out! Me and a nother fella was doing some checking into this too. I may be going down this weekend just to get away for the weekend and do some checking things out in the mean time while I'm there. I'm not sure if I am going or not I hope things turn out so that I can!!

Duncan,

I do not have that type of cert. When I spoke with Fema, they told me to go to a website that then refers you to Dun & Bradstreet to get vendor I.D. # or DUN # and move from there.?????????? That is why I want to stay out of N.O. Too much government control.

I would prefer to do business in Mississippi or the out skirts of N.O.

From what I understand so far about doing business in Ms. is that they require a Ms. business license on top of current state license to do contractor work.

I really want to make this happen and cannot imagine not being able to help and profit from this due to paper constraints.

Still searching though for some sites like Beth spoke of. There must be a way to get into those zones. Any help would be appreciated.

Hey Pressure Pros,

Did those friends of yours just go down to Fl. and set up camp in an area or did they go through a contractors guild or organization? Or were they already located in Fl. ?

I am very serious about getting into one of these areas and am still looking for an organization like Beth spoke of and have not had much luck finding any!

It just seems a little far fetched to just go and set up on a corner somewhere, although I have heard of that happening before, contractors just going door to door.

It seems like some of the victims of the storm would not be willing to part with the little they have left, including their limited funds.

That's why I am trying to get on an insurance company's contractor list for claims and repairs. But, believe me, this is no easy task so far.

If your friends made 600k last year for hurricane clean up in Fl., I would think that they did not go door to door. Do you know how they actually got their foot in the door or are you just making me jealous with the dollar amount you mentioned? LOL.

......... and how come Mr. Fife hasn't chimed in yet????????

I hate to refer to the Pink Floyd song (not really... I love them) but, Is there anybody out there?

This is driving me batty!!!! there must be a way.

I think that pressure pros just said that to get our clocks wound just a lil tighter!!! No I don't know but to make that money I would think that some one had the connections somewhere!! And that is what we got to find out!!

Hey full Blast,

Where abouts are you heading this weekend? N.O. or Ms. or Al.?

If it is Ms. , that's where I have my sites set. Let me know. I am trying to choreagraph this effort with a fellow PW in my area, and we would be willing to set up a base camp at a hotel and get storage facility for chems and gear. Collectively I know that this can be pulled off. Even if we have to set up our own organization and run local ads in whatever town. I know this is possible.

Maybe a few of us that are really serious about this can spearhead the project and bypass the entities that are in the monopoly and in control of what goes on.

It could very well get us recognized in that particular community and spread a good word that we are there for those who are in need of our services.

Let us know what you see when you are there.

I'm not really for sure yet. Me and a friend is thinking about taking 2 camping trailer downs and pay my trip down, and he is the one getting things lined up, so I don't know much about it yet or if it will fall thru. Who knows?? I thot that if I could get a payed trip down and do some looking around while I'm there I may get hooked up with a contact. Don't even know if I get down or not at this point tho. I hope it works tho..

I just found out that my ins. agent is pretty much worthless!!!! Although I am having some luck going through the SBA and they have alot of info about contractors and relief efforts. I am researching as I write and will get back with more info (thanks Beth).

Army corp. of engineers needs me to go through Dun and Bradstreet and apply for DUNS#. As I was going through the app. I got held up on one section that asks for an SIC ........ I have bus. license, E.I.N. # and plenty of insurance, but I have no Idea what an SIC is..........can someone enlighten me on this??????

Disregard last question about SIC Code. Power house (Phillip) helped me with that one! I didn't even know I had one ..... but I do.

Army corp. of engineers

Dun & Bradstreet

SBA online are proving to be the most valuble resources so far!!!

Good thread, thanks for the info Adrian. The contractors I know that went to Florida were the owners of a local handyman service (a successful one that does nice work) It is owned by a Father and three brothers. The two oldest brothers joined with their father after closing a home building general contracting firm and are skilled framers. They also have put roofs on some of the houses around here so I have seen their work. I talked to them about their conducting business down there but at the time I wasn't really interested in the details. As I don't know what they would usually gross or how much their expenses were, I canot tell you how lucrative the work actually was for them.

Well, I wanted to stay away from the Govt. agencies, but it is somewhat required to be listed as a contractor for hurricane relief cleanup. I am focusing on Mississippi, and found out through the small business admin. that they do need cleaning contractors in Ms. but to be considered through the city of Gulfport area must have a DUNS # to be eligible. What a process!!!! Army corp of engineers requires the same as well to be put on their list of contractors for cleaning. It is a very simple application and the Standard Industry Classification for what we do is 5087 ( just in case anyone wants to know). I guess we will see how it goes. Hurry up and wait. Thanks for the info so far everyone.

Adrian,

....."Mr. Fife" doesn't do washing, but I do have some log home stuff going on in the area. I'm not really pushing it, I may go a little harder once it cools off down there and I slow down up here.

Hey Mr.Fife,

Thx for chiming in. I was hoping that you might have a little administrative insight on the topic. I was finding it real tough to get any info as I just didn't know which direction to get started. Originally was just kicking around the idea of a working road trip. As I have been doing research all afternoon ( and landing a pretty good job in my area.... woo hoo) I am starting to feel that this might very well be a doable thing.

I mean, I see all these efforts going on in the news and was just thinking..... how can I get in on some of that. I am trying to focus on Mississippi because I may be able to squeeze a visit with my daughter who goes to college at 'ol Miss. univ. That would be real nice. I am learning that if you are able to get past alot of the prequisites (i.e. red tape) that this might happen. But , like I said.... hurry up and wait!!!!!

Take care

When I spoke with Fema, they told me to go to a website that then refers you to Dun & Bradstreet to get vendor I.D. # or DUN # and move from there.?????????? That is why I want to stay out of N.O. Too much government control.

A DUNS number is important to many large corporations and the government. It tells them your business track record, and basically makes you worthy to be hired by them. I have had one for years, but never needed it until Fort Knox called looking to buy a good sized skid unit. Had that number, had to get a CCR number, etc. but they pay well.

Adrian,

Don't know much about this subject, but a DUNs # can come in handy for many things so it's good to get one.

Best of luck and keep us posted, we close on the sale of my biz on Fri, so who knows??

JD

I filed the application for the DUNS# this afternoon and recieved a confirmation email that they have the app. but unusually high volume is slowing the process due to hurricane Katrina. At least I am getting in the mix and should have it soon.

CCR # do I need one of those as well?

Originally Posted by AC new guy

When I spoke with Fema, they told me to go to a website that then refers you to Dun & Bradstreet to get vendor I.D. # or DUN # and move from there.?????????? That is why I want to stay out of N.O. Too much government control.

How do you get to Dun & Bradstreet website?

What was that SIC....???

Adrian,

Don't know much about this subject, but a DUNs # can come in handy for many things so it's good to get one.

Yes, and lest anyone be confused and mistakenly part with $499. A DUNs number is free. Fill out a few forms, they call to verify some info. One such item is that you are listed in the book under the filed name. I was not, but I forget how I got around that.

For their $499 "deal" they will call 5 of your creditors and start a credit file for you. From what I understand the agents are comission driven and the fee is highly negotiable. Unless your file gets started, you file will be empty. Not bad credit, but rather no credit. In the personal world they call this a thin file. Just like when most of us started out trying to get your first loan.

If you obtain credit from creditors that report to D&B, your fill will build itself (for free). Many (most?) do not. It may pay to ask before you take a line of credit if they report to D&B.