Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Hurricane cleanup advice wanted!!!!!

Question

I am a little reluctant to place this post for fear of being bashed in some way about my equipment or whatever standards I employ that don't match or meet certain opinions. With that said, please don't respond unless it is really directed at the point of the post. I apologize in advance (Beth & Rod) but that seems to happen more than not when I post general questions and concerns. I have what I have and I do what I do.

Here's my post:

I would like to get involved in some of the cleanup efforts( not volunteering my services, but, making some money offering my services) on the gulf coast i.e.

pressure wash resi's and commercial buildings that are dirty from the storms. New Orleans is pretty much out of the question as it is mostly government controlled entry, and I don't want to get involved with FEMA. I am talking about some of the outlying areas, Ms., Al., and outter La.

I have spoken with my ins. agent and my coverage is good to go throughout the USA. So, that's good. Plus I am waiting to hear back from him about being put on a vendors list for claims and repairs.

I am looking for input on how I can get my foot in the door other than just making the trip and showing up in a beat up neighborhood and hanging a sign on my trailer that says "house washing". I know I am not the only one who is contemplating this idea. There must be others interested in this idea as well.

Perhaps some of you have done this before or are invoved currently and would not mind sharing your approach to this potential goldmine they keep talking about on the news for contractors and "restoring".

With much respect to all, I value your opinions and input, but I will not respond to "equipment" bashing or "operational" bashing. I know that I might be sounding a bit rye by saying these points. I just would like some ideas on getting my foot in the door of these hard hit areas. One would think that these areas really could use some PW.

46 answers to this question

It took only 2 days to get DUN #.

Now with Rita brewing, and alot of my family in Houston, I'm really getting the worry wart thing.

Anyone heard from Shane lately?

Where is Shane?

Shane...let us know if you are okay?

he's fine so far, been in touch with him today via computer....says the traffic is horrible and will remain in touch as long as he keeps power and dsl....

Great info, Thank you so much Beth.

I cleaned a house today that was 90 years old in Atlanta and I thought the customer was going to kiss me...... they were so pleased.

you may find you need all of this to get a CCR number

DUN #

CAGE code

Tax Id # from the IRS

TPIN (I don't know what it means, but it is a confidential number and cannot be told to anyone)

MPIN

ORCA ( a Whale I think)

FARCOTS ( is this an apricot from a distance?)

DIBBS

BSM

VPIS

EDI POC (ponit of contact) information to get a EDI , a functional Group (GS 2) Idneifiere and Interchange Sender ID (ISA)

to get paid you may need a EFT (electronic funds transfer), don't forget the ACH (automatic clearing house number) & the the ABA so payment can be dirct deposited in your checking account.

Of course in Oregon you first need to get a contractors lisence, Tax ID, state employee number

I was told by one of my local government agencies that I needed a CCR number to continue to work for them. I contacted DLA in Battle Creek, spent 110 hours + to get all of there bullshit numbers for a job that takes 20 hours. Lets see, that is 5.5 years to break even. I started the process in August of last year. On january 28, 2005 i was notified the DLA was changing from BSM (I don't know what that is but I do know what a BM is) To COTS.This iwll be handles by DSCP Subsistance Directorate. (Again I plead ignorance, but wasn't a Directorate something the UUSR had?)This means the SPO will chang to SPM. New contracts awarded in SAP will change. Do not forget your DFAS BVPD address change.

You have no idea how glad I am that the Feds are helping small business like mine to get a piece of the Fed money. I must have 35 + pages of this crap. I will stop know because my caps button is not working, overlOadEd problably.

Oh Yes, we did not get the BLM job this year, but we did not loose any of our other FEDERAL work this year, and nobody asked about our alphabet collection.

Douglas Hicks

General Fire Equipemtn Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc

Hey Adrian I don't blame you a bit for wanting to come to New Orleans to try and cash in but I'm just telling you this so you know. I really think it will be after Christmas before the majority of any work gets started down her in New Orleans.

I really don't think anyone really is getting a grasp on the state of affairs down here.Most people didn't have flood insurance in the city.There is a huge problem brewing down here that the the storm surge damage is not covered under most policies.Only wind damage is covered.

Second is the mold situation. Anything with mold on it is not covered.So you have a water flooded home that is closed up for about a month in 100 degree heat at 90% humidity. The mold is everywhere and the insurance companies aren't covering it.

Third is the city still has not let most people in yet. Though most companies aren't even inspecting damage they are maxing out claims to the highest $ amount allowed under policy.

Fourth is an opinion only. 53% of all residents in New Orleans rented. 60 or 70% of all evacuees say they aren't coming back. So to me that leaves a very weak housing market inside the city.I can see a lot of people ripping out sheetrock and carpet and letting house sit till housing market improves. Landlords that is.I think that most will take money for home and run if they had flood insurance.

I think movie studios should come film down here for about a week.Then if they ever need apocolyptic footage of the USA after a war they would have it.Cars flipped,houses destroyed and mud everywhere.

I have friends that lost homes in Orleans parish.They have no drinking water,no sewerage,no electricity and no business is open to shop at when the city does open back.This recovery will take years I'm telling you.

From a finance basis think about this.No business, no tax base. NO SALES = no sales tax. No sales tax no police salary,no firefighter salary,no school funding for expenses or teacher salaries.Pretty bleak outlook.No residents living here means no way a business can profit. No business open means no supplies or jobs for residents. kind of like the chicken or the egg story.

Make no mistake we WILL come back. I just thought I might give you some insight of what you may find.I welcome you!!! If you come look me up I'd love to meet anyone that comes.I'm also game for helping participate in the co op if it gets off the ground.I'm gonna start myself in about another month.

I rode through Jefferson parish the other day and the road was a 8 foot tall wall of debris that ran the entire lenght of the street just waiting to be picked up.The whole city smells of decaying rotten food.You will literally gag in some areas of the city.I assure you pressure washing is not even in their thought process "right now'.

Sorry for the long post.I'm gonna go start my glossary of acronyms that I need to learn to participate in the clean up effort.

Scott

Thank you Scott,

I wish you the best of luck in recovering.

I am actually trying to get to Mississippi, close to my daughter.

I realize that this is the furthest thing from most of the residents minds right now, and that the cleanup will take a few years to accomplish. That's why I am setting myself up now for it.

Again, I wish you the best of luck in recovery.

What SIC codes are u guys using, there are the ones I have found so far:

1799-47

5087-55

7349-07

1541-01

1771-06

7349-31

7349-99

7349-09

1799-84

7349-21

any more that I might be missing??

A few years back we went to S. Calif during the "fire storms" to power wash home that were covered with smoke and soot. We donated our time and by the end of the campaign we were getting some very great press.

We thought about the same thing down in New Orleans but I think it is a little premature to head down there.

Please let us know if there are some of you out there that are planning to do this in New Orleans and/or neighboring states.

I hate to be one to point out the obvious but... I don't think you will need an SIC code, or certification, or anything other than a chain saw, some sheetrock, a truck with a few spare tires already on rims, about 50 gallons of gas, a generator, and maybe a pressure washer. Call the insurance agent in the area you want to go to, get set up as a vender, and go to work for them.

When it all boils down what you are dealing with is insurance agents looking for handymen to clean up areas outside of New Orleans for as cheep as possible. You will make your money on the volume. It will be dangerous, secluded, and hard to find supplies that you do not bring with you. In most of the affected areas there is still no gas, electricity, repair shops, retail locations, etc. You work with what you bring with you. The further you get outside of New Orleans the better it gets. From Batton Rouge to Lumberton there is work and the resources get better the closer you get to Houston.

I am scouting out the insurance agents etc. now. I will be traveling to Beaumont, Vidor, Orange, Lumberton, Bridge City, Port Neches, Port Arthur, Lake Charles, and Batton Rouge.

I feel your pain,I too have searched endlessly for nothing.I will be going to Slidell.I have a contact that is a ceo of a vinyl siding company who is from Louisiana.He has been in contact with the Govenor and has worked out a deal to open a warehouse over there.He is planning to stop price gouging on siding,he said there are several places quadrupling the price.Part of his deal is to donate 10% back to the cities and 19% to the red cross.From what he has told me (and he is very reliable) many regulations are being loosened for disaster relief work.He said going before november would be a waste of time.I will be there and will be using his warehouse for storeing my rigs and cleaning supplies.Instead of just showing up you should visit there a couple of times,some still dont have water,get you a local phone number set up and become part of the community for a while;unless you are just going after government contracts those dun # and other things are not necessary.

Thank you Scott,

I wish you the best of luck in recovering.

I am actually trying to get to Mississippi, close to my daughter.

I realize that this is the furthest thing from most of the residents minds right now, and that the cleanup will take a few years to accomplish. That's why I am setting myself up now for it.

Again, I wish you the best of luck in recovery.

Hey Adrian,

I'm headed down this weekend to do some cleanup on my grandmother's home in New Orleans East(minus the pressure washer). I wish I could join you to do some pressure cleaning down there, but I have a full time job still, so that won't work. I'll send you a link to some photos when I get back. I've been planning my trip for 3 weeks now, so I"ll let you know exactly how bad some parts still are. We are going to be staying in Bush, LA, which is north of Lake Ponchatrain and then commuting back and forth to N.O. East. I'll be back on Monday.

John W.

Superior Pressure Washing

Atlanta, GA