Sign in to follow this  
JEAPAINT

Just getting started

Question

Hello!

I am a painter and looking to offer power washing to my customers. I have 2 possible jobs lined up for springtime already. I have been doing my research on pressure washers and have decided to get the Karcher #HD 4.0/36P 13 hp 4 GPM 3600psi. I have not ordered it yet and would like to know if anyone has had experiance with this unit? I will mostly be doing houses, concrete, pavers, etc...

One of my first possible jobs is cleaning alumminum siding that is oxidized. I have read about a 2 step chem application to clean alumminum siding. What are the actual chems used? Brands? where to buy? I would practise first on my house which has the same problem with alumminum siding.

Any help and info is greatly appreciated

Doug

21 answers to this question

A Cat pump is better with a General being among the better ones. The big dowside to karcher is the lack of people to serivce them, parts are expensive and thier hoses and fitting are unique to themselves. ( unless you replumb everything) It all adds up to more money without being necessary.

A Cat pump is better with a General being among the better ones. The big dowside to karcher is the lack of people to serivce them, parts are expensive and thier hoses and fitting are unique to themselves. ( unless you replumb everything) It all adds up to more money without being necessary.

A cat pump is more expensive, that't true. Whether it's better is likely something that will never be settled...

If what you're looking at is a direct drive machine, just go down to Home Depot and get one of theirs...no shipping to pay, likely cheaper, and not any less reliable than any other direct drive machine.

Or, you can spend the money for a higher gpm belt driven machine. That may get you some more life out of the pump, and will allow you to more easily set it up on a tank fed system.

Personally, if I were going to get a 4gpm machine, I'd forget the belt drive...You're going to spend another $2-300.00 for it, you'll pay shipping (as opposed to getting a direct drive Home Depot unit), and all you're getting is a machine that runs the pump slower and sucks water better. The motor isn't going to last any longer (provided they're similar motors)...It doesn't care if its crankshaft is turning a belt or a direct drive....It is still running at the same speed, etc. A belt drive isn't going to clean better, and at best, you'll have a pump that lasts a bit longer...But with the $2-$300.00 you'd save with a direct drive machine, you can buy a new pump if yours craps out.

I like the classic Karcher model because it is compact. Being a painter I have a lot of stuff (paint, ladders, etc..) in the van already and this model will fit in when I need it without having to take too much out. There is a Karcher dealer in my town if it needs servicing. Having non-standard fittings could be a problem. They have a good warranty, 1 year parts and labor, 5 year pump warr, and I belive a 2 year warr. on the Honda engine.

I was looking at a Troy-Bilt model from Lowes, same specs as the Karcher, but if it is used for commercial it only has a 90 day warr.

What other brands are good?

As for practising.. I live in an old house. There are tons of things around here to learn on. Aluminum siding, concrete, stone and concrete patio, shingle siding, and the list goes on:wave:

Any info on the chems for alum. siding?

Take the time to look at karchers hose fittings etc... You have a gun go bad, hose or whatever and it has to be replaced with the same thing. Look on the web for pressure washing supplies and compare prices of parts. You may want quick connects on everything at some point and you would have to replumb the karcher machines to accept them. (if they make the adapters for the metric thread to standard) Many karchers last a while it, is just the availability and extra steps needed to change the configuration that make it not the first choice for most people in this business.

I would think twice about the two step process for doing a home with aluminum siding. It involves using an acid, followed by caustic. There aren't really any "brand names" available. You'd have to get in contact with specialty chemical suppliers. You could do that, but you are: a) looking at expensive specialty chemicals and b) if you are looking to save money (and space) starting out, you will likely need extension poles, truck brushes, protection gear and a specialty pump to apply the acid c) being a newbie to exterior property cleaning, you will have an enormous learning curve.

Those are the negatives. The upside is, if you decide to go forward, you could have a niche that other contractors cannot fill. There are many that won't touch AL siding.

Your machine question. The Karcher pro units are good machines, but they break down as much as anything else. If you are talking about ordering a Karcher through the internet, forget about it. Parts for the machine are proprietary. You break down, you may be out of the cleaning end for a good while until you find somewhere to get the parts. Same goes for service work, you'd need to locate an authorized Karcher dealer for repairs. Take someone else's advice and grab a machine from Home Cheapo or Blowe's. If you take care of the machine, it will easily last as long as the Karcher will and you have the luxury of returning it around the corner. They have no way of knowing you are using it commercially.

As a painter don't you powerwash before you paint? Just curious...

I haven't been doing exterior painting.

Thank you for all the advise and info!

As I stated before, there is a Karcher dealer about a mile from my house, so getting service/parts is not an issue.

What are the actual chems used? Muriatic acid? sodium hydroxide?

I would try this on my own house to get experiance before doing a job for the customer.

Also what would be a good chem/cleaner to use to clean up cement and brick on front steps? They are a bit stained from dirt and what could be mildew. I was thinking of using bleach to kill the mildew. Not sure if bleach would help to clean the rest.

Thanks again,

Doug

What are the actual chems used? Muriatic acid? sodium hydroxide?

No.

Check out the FAQ button up top. There are vendors listed in there who sell house wash products. Look them up. While you are at it talk to them about getting an x-jet M5.

Beth

No.

Check out the FAQ button up top. There are vendors listed in there who sell house wash products. Look them up. While you are at it talk to them about getting an x-jet M5.

Beth

I couldn't seem to find the info I was looking for in the FAQ's or at the vendor sites. I have seen some chems that seem to be what I am looking for but they are sold in LARGE quantities. Is ther someplace that sells them in gallon size so I can try it out without having to spend $100's ?

Thanks Newlook!

I do some minor exterior work (front doors, garage doors, etc...) I'm looking into getting back to doing decks. It has been a few years since I did decks. My father and I did decks the old fashion way. Want to try more modern and quicker methods of deck refinishing. Right now I am concentrating on learning about PWing. Deck ??'s will come later. :)

Doug

You might want to call them - most have toll free numbers. Vendors have very helpful info to share.

You might find that more of them carry what you are looking for than you think.

Try www.sunbritesupply.com and www.pressuretek.com I know for a fact both carry house wash chems, and I'll bet that www.southsideequipment.com does too.

Beth

You might want to call them - most have toll free numbers. Vendors have very helpful info to share.

You might find that more of them carry what you are looking for than you think.

Try www.sunbritesupply.com and www.pressuretek.com I know for a fact both carry house wash chems, and I'll bet that www.southsideequipment.com does too.

Beth

Another good one that never seems to get suggested here by some is www.rowlettpressure.com

Steve is always willing to take the time to help someone out, and his chems are hard to beat.

I second that, on rowlettpressure cleaning. Customer service 7 days a week. always answers. Hell he will even let u come ride with him for a day or 2 to teach u and there is no charge but lunch at hooters. Small price to pay for the knowledge.

Doug,

If you are serious about getting into this business, you will need to consider that the products and chems being recommended to you are done so by the experienced contractors who know a good value. You may have to spend alot up front but you will reap the benefit in savings overall while using contractor based and referred chems. Buying small amounts to 'try' is more expensive and time consuming. As they say...if you are going to get wet - Jump in!

On the other note, the Karcher units I.M.E. are a money pit. The fittings are unique to the brand and are not interchangeable with the commonly used ones that the pro's use. Plus they are over priced and most often you will only be able to get replacements from the manufacturer.

The other units mentioned for your consideration are based upon performance, value and serviceability in addition to ease of maintenance and less expensive replacement parts and fittings with greater availability.

You have a good number of people here giving their .02 worth, and you can feel confident they are trying to give you the best they can based upon what they use daily and have had the time to evaluate themselves.

Welcome to the world of pw'ing and a community of great information here on TGS!

Rod~

Another good one that never seems to get suggested here by some is www.rowlettpressure.com

Steve is always willing to take the time to help someone out, and his chems are hard to beat.

Here! Here!!!......

I use his stuff and he is always available... Great guy, Great chems IMO, lots of knowledge and always returns phone calls.. A grand slam!