Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Rain gear

Who sells good heavy duty rain gear?

Ive bought rain gear form HD & Lowes the 35 mil stuff and the jacket seams always fall apart, its crap. I need something that will last

Thanks

JL

I live near the coast and I get my gear from my local bait shop - they cary Helly Hanson, Brystol Bay and Grundon's. I'm very partial to Brystol Bay - I've had my current pair for two years and i'm just starting to show wear in the outer right knee of the double knee bibs (I may repair it with an inertube patch but experience tells me that when they wear in one place it won't be long before other holes pop up). I think I'll pass them down to a helper and get a new pair but after striper season so I don't look like afresh egg with shinny new bibs.

Remember, they all have different grades (thickness and # of welds) of material, it is well worth your investment to go with the best quality they offer. I've been known in the past to blow out the crotch in those cheap yellow ones you get at the depot in a single use.

On a related topic, I love the "Viking" brand boots - they feel like real shoes, the sole has awsome grip on roofs and just the right amount of insulation. Believe me - your wheels will thank you at the end of the day if you get them.

I am so looking for a good supplier of pants that the crotch doesnt split out of the first time I climb a ladder and get onto a raised deck.

I have about 2 dozen jackets that range from clean to dirty that are still in great condition but the pants blow out in less than a day. The longest I have been able to get a pair to last before a blow out is about 1 week (and that was because I didnt wear them for that time period! lol ).

We continue to use them but after a point whats the use? They dont keep that area dry anymore so in the trash they go.

One employee had brought in a pair of blue ones and they were about 10mil which I thought would not last for 10 minutes. Surprisingly though, he used them all season and never had a problem with a blow out in the pants. :taz:

Whats up with that!

Rod~

I deal with a lot of rain on the West Coast. I have tried a brand called Ruff Duck. It is a nylon coated (on the inside) type instead of pvc. Very lightweight and comfortable. It was $100 at http://www.work-n-wear.com/for the set. The vinyl type has held up very well compared to a pvc.

I have been using Caterpillar rain gear (Northern Tool sells them) and I have been using their "BOSS" rubber boots. The rain gear is really really thick and has safety reflection strips on them. The pants are pretty inexpensive and tough but the jacket is around 60.00. The boots are great because they are not like your common cement type boot. They have raised cleated heels and and insoles so you don't walk out of them in two months. They work great on roofs with plenty of traction. The only drawback to this type of boot is that the dog bombs in the back yards of resi's get really clumped up inside the cleats. So I always make sure that they are clean off before they go back in the truck.

Thanks everyone, I just brought back 3 used sets to Lowes , they didnt want to take them back because of rips , but I got manager and showed him how 2 sets were NEW and had rips. I got the refund

Im going to check out the ones you all mentioned THANKS

Grundens or Viking, make many classes of gear from very heavy lined with polar fleece to thin, but my pair have lasted for years both washing and fishing. Search web for dealers, or go to a commercial fishing gear store.

Fishermans Supply, Finest Kind Offshore Tackle.

Jeff I can get you helly hansen right now at a killer price. We will be placing the order next week. I will try calling over the weekend.

Jim I'll call you i want 3 sets. Thanks

Correction to my post regarding "Bristol Bay" rain gear. That is the Line - the commercial fishing grade. The manufacturer is "Viking".

Two things to add 1) the bibs have a great plastic release clip that makes them easy to get on and off (especially when you have to take a leak in the trailer or box truck). The Heely Hanson has a metal hook that is hard to get out so you end up leaving it attached and pretty soon the elastic is streached on the suspenders. 2) The jacket has an awsome neoprean arm cuff feature - it closes tight on your wrist so that if you have arm raised (as we often do when washing) the water can not run down. No more arms soaked to the armpit and beyond.

I think the only way to stay dryer than using this rain gear is to stay in the truck and let the help do the work!LOL

Correction to my post regarding "Bristol Bay" rain gear. That is the Line - the commercial fishing grade. The manufacturer is "Viking".

Two things to add 1) the bibs have a great plastic release clip that makes them easy to get on and off (especially when you have to take a leak in the trailer or box truck). The Heely Hanson has a metal hook that is hard to get out so you end up leaving it attached and pretty soon the elastic is streached on the suspenders. 2) The jacket has an awsome neoprean arm cuff feature - it closes tight on your wrist so that if you have arm raised (as we often do when washing) the water can not run down. No more arms soaked to the armpit and beyond.

I think the only way to stay dryer than using this rain gear is to stay in the truck and let the help do the work!LOL

Thanks Tim I tried to look up bristol bay, couldnt find it I'll check out Viking now Thanks JL

Someday the help will do it all, but for now it looks like Im getting some rain gear

check out www.hellyhansen.com under "work" . What is nice it has its (jacket material) reaction with different chemicals. I will get the price list and give you guys an idea of what the cost should be. One thing that they have that I thought was nice (not on website) is a jacket with a flap on the back for you to run your lanyard through for your harness.

Fished on Monday, 20 kt winds, temp 27, water temp 42, wore Grundens bib pants, Grundens Polar Fleece top, and Sorel Artic felt lined boots,was toasty all day. Sleeves ends have a 3" neopreme cuff.