Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Blown Hoses

I blew out 100 feet of hoses this week on seperate jobs.

I have replaced them but I would like to know if it is possible to have my blown hoses repaired. My original hoses have lasted 2 years now and this is the first time I have experienced blown hoses. Any help for me out there?

:taz:

They can be repair at a shop that makes hydraulic hoses.We have even had them repaired in the middle.

The oldest repaired hoses are used as back ups or on jobs where they'll be run over by a lot of cars.

2 yrs was when we started see them get to a point of no return for repair.

I forgot to mention that they were the High Pressure hoses not the supply hoses. I've blown a million of those.

I've never had good luck patching hoses...but as Scott says, for a backup in a pinch they should be OK. I've had freshly patched hoses blow the same day in a different spot...It's like once they get ready to go, they're going. The exception would be a newer hose that needs a patch because, say, a dump truck pinched it against a curb and kinked it, or the end came off a relatively newer hose.

Hoses aren't all that expensive, I prefer to replace them as needed and keep a couple new 100' sections as spares. If I had to replace all my hoses once a year, that's only $400.00 or so, better to do that than worry about blowing your backup hose and having to reschedule a job.

I get my hoses repaired at the local hydraulic, for $5.00 an end. I generally keep 150-200 on the reel and carry another 200 for back up.

I always get solid ends on my hose as the swivels fail quick. I use a Suttner swivel on the gun and it helps the hose to last longer.

I only have them repaired when a blowout occurs within 10-15 feet of the end. I take them to a repair shop where they refit them with hydraulic fittings and a swivel.

If my hose blows more than once, in the trash it goes and I buy a new one. I cant see having the problems associated with a worn out hose on a clients property where even more damage can come about as a result of a blow out.

Responsibility for care and maintenance of equipment before bringing any of it to a job is one that the client trusts us to do. Otherwise, if damage does occur, we are liable for negligence.

Rod~

Adrian,

I don't know about your side of town, but there is a place near the airport that re-tips for $8.00/end. I've had 3 done with no problems whatsoever.

Philip

I agree with what most have said, once it pops somwhere down the middle, you can rest assured more will follow. Toss it and buy a new one. I run a Goodyear Neptune 1-wire 4000PSI. One continuous peice 250ft long. I get a lot better wear with a one peice hose vs shorter hoses and connections. So keep field repair kits on hand and a new hose in the truck for back up if you go the one hose route.

Hey Phillip,

Yea I may have to trash the hoses after all. Both blown in the middle.

But I may try to still have them repaired. Maybe just for back up.

You know what these hoses have been through this Summer, lol.

I got your msg on tues, but the kidneys came to call again and the bed has been best friend lately. Looking for hydraulics repair place here in scarietta.

Thx for everyone's help and advice.