Sign in to follow this  
Jim Carroll

Machine Covers

What are you using to cover your machine. I have a could water machine that is on a frame like a generator. I bought a grill cover for it and it works good to cover it up. They also had some 68" grill covers that would possible work for a skid.

We have been using a large grill cover for a couple years.It works good considering we have a vertical burner.

Great idea! Now that I'm setting up an open trailer, that's something I've been concerned about. I've thought about having a cover made, but didn't think about grill covers!

We bought a commercial BBQ Grill a couple years back and found out the hard way there were NO grill covers in the hardware stores that fit it. So, I did what I always do, I turned to the 'Net. Well, I found this place, and I ordered the grill cover, and I mean to tell you for the same price as in the the store it blew the cheap ones away. The cover is thick. Very thick. Has a velcro front closure. So I got to thinking about machines and I called tha lady, Melissa is her name, and I asked if eyelets could be added at the bottom for a tie down, and yes they can. She also makes custom equipment covers folks!!!!!

http://mels-bbq-covers.com/?OVRAW=custom%20grill%20covers&OVKEY=cover%20custom%20grill&OVMTC=standard

Check this out. You'll be very glad you did. Celeste and Roger have seen this cover and can tell you how durable it is.

Beth

I've been using a "one size fits some" generic motorcyle cover. It was less than twenty bucks I think, but that has been a few years ago. Next time I'm in a bike shop, I'll check prices. I bought the dang thing to carry my bike covered behind my tractor (as in "tractor-semitrailer" rig) but never did use it.

It has a draw-string and tie down eyes, but is not the heaviest stuff. I use a step-van, so I haven't tried this on a trailer.

I think covers like this are available at Wally World and other Chinese product outlets for pretty cheap now.

Cool hookup with Mel, Beth! Thanks!:)

Celeste and Roger have seen this cover and can tell you how durable it is.

Beth

It is very nice - it's made from a heavier duty vinyl than store grill covers which to me would equate to staying on your machine better, less tendence to rip under windy circumstances, etc... :)

Celeste

I use a boat cover for my 18' trailer. It covers everything up. Machine, tank, toolboxes, hose reels etc. I had a buddy that was throwing one away that had some small tears. No good for him, but perfect for me. I just put the tear near the back. I like that everything is covered. It also has about 10 tie downs that go all the way around, very nice.

Jeff Robison

Titan Exterior

678-360-2518

I use a boat cover for my 18' trailer. It covers everything up. Machine, tank, toolboxes, hose reels etc. I had a buddy that was throwing one away that had some small tears. No good for him, but perfect for me. I just put the tear near the back. I like that everything is covered. It also has about 10 tie downs that go all the way around, very nice.

Jeff Robison

Titan Exterior

678-360-2518

Do you pull the trailer with the cover on, or do you remove it beforehand?

I like the idea of covering the entire trailer for storage, at least until I find some indoor storage, but I also like the idea that people can see what I'm pulling while I'm travelling to the job.

Setting up a trailer is in the near future for me. The last few jobs I did the pickup was pretty full. I was wondering why so many of you go with an open trailer as opposed to a closed trailer. Wouldn't it be worth a few extra bucks to have your equipment covered and locked up? I do like the grill cover idea though if I did go with an open trailer.

I don't know what you call a few extra bucks, but the difference in a 16 foot tandem axle trailer that is open and one that is enclosed is around $2000. I would rather spend the 2k on something that will make me more money. Yes it would be nice to have a nice enclosed trailer. but one thing to consider is that you need to have a truck capable of handling an enclosed trailer loaded with equipment. I currently have a full size dodge and I would not want to tow a 16 foot or so, enclosed trailer very far. I did a job the other day that was 4 hours away, ran their and back in one day. If I did more local work I would consider one that large. I know I could get a small one but I would rather wait until I could get a large one.

On the other hand it is a lot easier working out of an open trailer. when it come quitting time and you are ready to leave, throw everything on back and hit the road.

Yeah, what Jim said :)

Also, the clutter factor goes away or is not as high with an open trailer as well - there happens to be a pack rat gene in our family belonging to an unnamed member of our company. If there was the slightest opportunity for our stuff to be enclosed/covered/hidden from public view....suffice it say the equipment would be hopelessly buried in less than a week. Open is clean! A removable cover would rock!

Celeste

Do you pull the trailer with the cover on, or do you remove it beforehand?

I like the idea of covering the entire trailer for storage, at least until I find some indoor storage, but I also like the idea that people can see what I'm pulling while I'm travelling to the job.

I normally remove it before I leave the house. But will all the tie downs it is meant to be driven with it on. I got mine second hand, it has a 2' tear, but I put it at the back of the trailer, so no big deal. It is heavy duty and I like the fact that everything is completely covered. If someone walked up to the machine in the middle of the night, they would have to mess with removing the cover, so I guess it makes it a little more secure as well. I bet you could go to a local marina and find plenty that have been discarded.

Jeff Robison

Titan Exterior

678-360-2518

I pull (or will pull again once I've recovered from my second shoulder surgery since September!) a 13' trailer from Hydro-Tek. The skid is mounted in front, with a 300 gal tank over the axles. For $150, I had a cover fabricated by an upholstery shop to cover the front and top of the skid. Eyelets on the cover fit over pins that are turned to secure the cover. Very neat and - at least in my opinion - professional-looking. I plan to have my logo applied to the cover as well.

I tried the covering the whole trailer idea, but soon found that it became to much of a hassle covering and uncovering everyday.

I like open trailers because of what Celeste said as well as the fact of how accessible everything is on the trailer compared to an enclosed with only two access areas. Also, with an open trailer your not limited to the confines of the dimensions, meaning you can let things stick out a little here and there if need be.

Love the grill cover idea, I'll have to look into that.

Yeah, what Jim said :)

Also, the clutter factor goes away or is not as high with an open trailer as well - there happens to be a pack rat gene in our family belonging to an unnamed member of our company. If there was the slightest opportunity for our stuff to be enclosed/covered/hidden from public view....suffice it say the equipment would be hopelessly buried in less than a week. Open is clean! A removable cover would rock!

Celeste

I am sorta like your business partner and with open trailer I am forced to keep it tidy because I don't want people to see a bunch of crap on it.