Sign in to follow this  
RogerG

Solid stained deck

Question

27 answers to this question

This one took a full strength mix (8:1). It was an Olympic acrylic solid that was misapplied as well as over-applied by the homeowner last summer. Dwell time was almost an hour with misting to keep the stripper wet. The homeowner was ecstatic with the results and we likely have one of her neighbors to look at. We'll be applying Wood Tux Wet as soon as the sun comes back out.

Roger

Thanks everyone, the homeowner hated her deck after she stained it. She said that after she put the stain down it rained the next morning and the stain bubbled up, so she sanded what was lifting off and reappled the stain. That made for a big mess!

Roger

Hey Roger, That looks really great.

I just tried some the the HD 80 and Severe Strip products from SUnBrite on a deck with a Solid Acrylic Stain by DURON. I initially used a Wolman's Deck strip product, b/c I did not know about other products that I learned about here on the forum.

I tried the HD 80 on some stubborn areas that the Wolman's product didn't work on and it would not touch it, although I did not give it the dwell time you did on the deck above. The severe strip got most of the stubborn areas, but still have a few places that will not give up!!!!

Here are a couple of pics of before and after stripping with brightener applied. Hope to have good weather this week to finish with some stain. I am trying the WOODTUX product.

[ATTACH]3445[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3446[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3447[/ATTACH]

post-1486-137772151019_thumb.jpg

post-1486-137772151024_thumb.jpg

post-1486-137772151029_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple more closeups of the deck. You can see were I replacced several boards, but there probally should have been a few more replaced (where you see black). They are one major pain to remove. Whoever built the deck used 4" spiral spikes on the planking.

Finally found the easiest way to remove the planking was to cut out sections between the joists with a reciprocating saw and then use the saw with a long metal cutting bladeto cut the nails from under the boards. I lost a couple of tooth filling in the process :lglolly:

[ATTACH]3448[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3449[/ATTACH]

post-1486-137772151035_thumb.jpg

post-1486-13777215104_thumb.jpg

It is actually my deck at home. But I did one similar this summer that had SIKKENs that looked caked on and globbed up. That job broke my CHERRY!!!! But I made a reasonable profit on it anyway.

I lost the photos of the job after my computer crashed a few months ago. But I keep copies in my portfolio and it gets a lot of OOOOs and AHHHHHs.

The initial strip took about 6 hours, but you don't see the other 50% of the deck. This is elevated about 10 feet and all four sides had to be stripped. Then I went into redesign mode and reipped the sides off and redeigned the deck. I'll have complete photos in a day or two when I fisih with the staining. Everyone that has seem the deck thinks it is new.

I am plesed with the SUNBRITE products......just need a little more patience when waiting for them to work!

I had done about a dozen decks of various sizes and each and everyone has been different.

This deck had a DURON solid ACRYLIC on it that was about two years old, maybe 3.

Deck walking total area is about 1600 sf. The sides will be about another 1000 sf, not including the rails.

I replaced the steps and several boards that were in really bad shape. I removed all the lattice from the sides and installed 1X4" with 3" spacing vertical and capped out each to dress it up a bit. Lattice work really sucks!

Thank you for the support and comments........Roger, Sorry that I posted inside your post on this one.

Nice job Roger! I'm always a bit hesitant to take on a job like that, due to the possibility of it taking too long.

But I'm sure you've got one happy customer to keep on the books for maintanence.

Well I think i completed the staining of the deck from hell. I am still waiting for it to completely dry though. There are a few areas that look darker than others, new wood vs. old aged wood. I would like to be able to blend them in a bit better.

Anyway, here are a few pics of the job. I used the WOODTUX oil, which is my first time using this product. Those who are used to using this would appreciate any tips or suggestions. Thanks

After Staining

[ATTACH]3451[/ATTACH]

Top side after staining

[ATTACH]3452[/ATTACH]

Before Staining side view. All Lattice was removed and replaced with vertical 1X4" planks all around

[ATTACH]3453[/ATTACH]

post-1486-13777215105_thumb.jpg

post-1486-137772151055_thumb.jpg

post-1486-13777215106_thumb.jpg

Well I think i completed the staining of the deck from hell. I am still waiting for it to completely dry though. There are a few areas that look darker than others, new wood vs. old aged wood. I would like to be able to blend them in a bit better.

Anyway, here are a few pics of the job. I used the WOODTUX oil, which is my first time using this product. Those who are used to using this would appreciate any tips or suggestions. Thanks

After Staining

[ATTACH]3451[/ATTACH]

Top side after staining

[ATTACH]3452[/ATTACH]

Before Staining side view. All Lattice was removed and replaced with vertical 1X4" planks all around

[ATTACH]3453[/ATTACH]

its a good job done good job