Sign in to follow this  
JFife

Moron

Question

Read this op.ed. from this moron. He is a Home Inspector, and considered an "authority" on all things home. Went to his website--he is your classical pencil-pusher that establishes his credibility by writing articles. ...Notice he endorses blasting the lead paint right off of older homes......jeez. I'm gonna write the editor (yes I am bored, yes I do need a job:)) and expose this jerk-off.

I Don't Get It

The mysterious things that homeowners do

By Walter Jowers

I look at houses all day, five days a week. I've been doing it for a long time. Even so, there are some things that still surprise me—not because they're unusual, but because they just don't make any sense. For instance...

The lighthouse: I want to know who came up with the idea of the two-story, 16-foot-high foyer with a chandelier hanging from the ceiling, shining through a supersized Palladian window.

Maybe it's just me, but I think this arrangement makes the victim house look like a wannabe lighthouse. Worse yet, there's no good way to change the bulbs in the chandelier. You need a 16-foot ladder just to get up there. Most people don't have a 16-foot ladder and don't want one. Those who've climbed up a 16-foot ladder to change light bulbs know that it's a hard job, and dangerous besides. I say that if you need a fireman's ladder to change your chandelier bulbs, you need a different light in your foyer.

Power washing: There's a cottage industry devoted to using water-blasters to blow fungus off asphalt-shingle roofs and wood decks, and to clean concrete drives and walkways. The people who do this work, and the people who hire them, call it "power-washing."

Believe me when I tell you: There is nothing on your house—and nothing in your yard—that needs power-washing. Power-washing can destroy a perfectly good roof or deck, and it puts years of wear and tear on drives and walkways.

If you decide something at your house needs power-washing, try this test first: Take off your shirt, hold the power washer an inch away from one of your nipples, then turn the water on, full blast. If the water hurts your nipple, it will hurt your house.

If you're buying a new house, tell your builder you don't want anything power-washed. Just about every time I go into a new development, I see workers blasting away at houses, trying to knock errant paint, crud and mortar off siding and brick. Often as not, the water gets into walls or attics, where it doesn't belong.

Anything at your house that needs washing ought to be washed with a gentle flow from a regular old garden hose. Use mops or brushes for wiping.

One possible exception: If you're removing paint or decades-old grime from the outside of your house, you'll have to find a contractor who knows how to do low-pressure power-washing. So far, I've seen only one guy do it right.

Sealing: Sealing is the evil twin of power washing. You can't watch a football game without being bombed with ads for deck sealers and driveway sealers. The ads tell you that your wood and concrete will crumble like a sunstruck vampire if you don't get out there and do some sealing during halftime.

I've seen thousands of wood decks, old and new, sealed and unsealed. After about 15 to 20 years, they all look the same. Eventually, wood that's exposed to the weather will split, crack and splinter. From what I've seen, sealing a deck doesn't slow down the process.

Sealing a concrete driveway is just crazy. Big bridges are held up by concrete that stays underwater all the time. Nobody seals that concrete, and it works just fine.

Sealing an aggregate driveway or walkway isn't just crazy, it's a little dangerous. Those aggregate surfaces—with all the little rocks and seashells sticking up out of them—are born slick. Coating them with sealer just makes them slicker. If you ask me, money spent on sealer would be better spent playing the lottery.

New-house lust: I know that people like to have new things—things that were made just for them, untouched by previous owners. I know that a lot of people just love the idea of owning a brand-new house, fresh out of the ground.

I don't want to pop anybody's bubble, but I've got to tell you: By the time you move into a "new" house, it has been peed in, pooped in, cooked in, slept in and probably humped in. It's as used as a Bonnaroo porta-potty.

Add to that, nothing at the house is really new. It's just earth and wood. The earth part is 4 billion years old, and the wood part is probably older than you are. For all intents and purposes, the permanent parts of your new house aren't much younger than the permanent parts of Monticello.

With few exceptions, older houses are better than the new ones. Here's why: Best I can tell, the workforce building today's housing isn't as skilled as the workforce that built houses, say, in the '50s and '60s. A lot of new houses have problems—sloppy construction, cheap parts, leaks—that will only get worse. From what I've seen, the best houses in our part of the world were built between 1955 and 1970. If you can't stand the idea of living in a house that old, then buy one that's between 5 and 10 years old. By five years, most things that can go wrong probably will have gone wrong, and some of the problems will have been fixed. After 10 years, things like roofs and heat-and-air systems start to wear out.

11 answers to this question

www.housesenseinc.com

....I read some of his other articles, laughable. The classic inspector. "Improvision" is not in their vocabulary. Dead-end job, Dead-end people. I don't mind idiots, but I don't like idiots framed as an expert for an unsuspecting public. Especially when they have a captive audience.

The problem with most inspectors that I have met, is that they are former construction workers, that keep getting fired, or are retired. The ones that get fired are fired, usually for insubordination. They think that they know it all. Obviously, this intellectually vacuous person falls in that category. What is interesting is that home inspectors without fail will inspect a home, and then, offer to come fix it, because they know exactly what is wrong. Something is just not quite right about that.

Did anyone else send him an email? Since the "bleach" thread is gone it's back to the quiet status quo. We need a new target. The firing squad is locked and loaded. Bring on Inspector Misinformed.

On the other side of the coin, he has a right to his opinion and unfortunately his opinion is shared by a good percentage of the public. He does mention low pressure housewashing, so he knows there is a technique that is effective. In his market there may not be any professional exterior cleaning companies, so he hasn't seen what can be done. He made some valid points about potential damage (the nipple thing was strange).

Every day he looks at and evaluates various structures looking for issues. I imagine in his day, he has seen plenty of pressure washer/vandals at work. My very first house, before I even knew about message boards, soaps, X-Jets, etc was a stucco house I cleaned with 3500 psi. The stucco, thank God, was extremely durable but I'm sure I compromised some of its integrity.

Now, put yourself in his shoes. Every day you see damage caused by a pressure washer in some shape or form. I can understand how someone would get a little bitter.

Big bridges are held up by concrete that stays underwater all the time. Nobody seals that concrete, and it works just fine.

Apples and oranges. I want to talk to this guy in person. How can you even compare? That water doesn't freeze thaw on a regular basis. That concrete doesn't have ANY aesthetical value and probably a honey comb finish. I would like to use a zero deg tip 200 deg a inch away from his nipple, teach him to respect the mighty pressure washer! ROAWWWRR!!U@*)$%)!! :taz:

Just use a garden hose with one of those spray nozzles on it. I think that would hurt plenty, although maybe without as much permanent damage. I am pretty certain that he would not say that would be damaging.