Sign in to follow this  
VanDiesel99

8gpm XJET

You guys using the 8gpm machines, what size oriface xjet are you using. I used the #9 from my other machine and its pretty hard to control at 3000PSI! The other sizes are #13 and #16. #13 - 1500psi and #16 - 1000 psi. Since I am using a trigger gun with the xjet qc'd straight to it for applying concrete chems I think I am going to go with the #16 so its not as straining on my hands.

The X-Jet is based on PSi and not gpm. I had a 5-3500 machine when i got the X-Jet and Now have a 8-3000. My orifice should be a 13, but I have never taken it apart to check. Works fine on both machines.

I use a two foot lance and a straight Suttner 601 gun with the X-Jet for concrete.

You guys using the 8gpm machines, what size oriface xjet are you using. I used the #9 from my other machine and its pretty hard to control at 3000PSI! The other sizes are #13 and #16. #13 - 1500psi and #16 - 1000 psi. Since I am using a trigger gun with the xjet qc'd straight to it for applying concrete chems I think I am going to go with the #16 so its not as straining on my hands.
I dont know about anyone else but i use mine straight off my gun no orfice

The X-Jet is based on PSi and not gpm. I had a 5-3500 machine when i got the X-Jet and Now have a 8-3000. My orifice should be a 13, but I have never taken it apart to check. Works fine on both machines.

I use a two foot lance and a straight Suttner 601 gun with the X-Jet for concrete.

The orifice size is based on GPM. It needs to be the correct size, or you'll be creating too much pressure in the line and you won't draw chems. That, and with a #9, you're shooting at dang near 3000psi...not good, and as mentioned, hard to control if connnected straight to the gun.

with a 13, you're probably at a happy medium between the 5 and 8gpm machines.

I dont know about anyone else but i use mine straight off my gun no orfice

The orifice they're referring to is a part that goes inside the Xjet that regulates the pressure coming out of the Xjet. You're thinking of the proportioners, I think. :)

Mike,

Unless I have been lied to by multiple distribs, it is based on PSI not gpm. Where did you get your info?

Call Ron Strickland or mike at Xterior they will tell you for sure

If I remember right its GPM You could have a 3gpm to 8gpm all 3500 psi

My 3 gpm I use a smaller orifice my 4 & 5.5 I use a larger. Larger in the 3gpm doesnt work right, all the machines are 3500psi

Call Ron 1-800-983-7467 they make it they will set everyone straight

JL

just curious, I've went up 1 GPM and I can barely handle my new machine for 4-6 hrs straight. It's 5 gpm. How do you guys handle the kick on 8 gpm?

I use a Zk1 Flow unloader so there is no kick. I also use the surface cleaner extensively, which cuts down my wand time considerably.

I have a 4.8gpm 3000 PSI machine that I use my #9's with. When I tried to use that same xjet on my concrete killer machine(8gpm 3000psi) the damn xjet just about kicked the gun out of my hands. I think the oriface can be used on the nozzle charts to figure out the pressure just like the normal tips. I went ahead and used the xjet with high high pressure and it still "drawed"drew"droooo" chemicals at a pretty high ratio.

I have a 4.8gpm 3000 PSI machine that I use my #9's with. When I tried to use that same xjet on my concrete killer machine(8gpm 3000psi) the damn xjet just about kicked the gun out of my hands. I think the oriface can be used on the nozzle charts to figure out the pressure just like the normal tips. I went ahead and used the xjet with high high pressure and it still "drawed"drew"droooo" chemicals at a pretty high ratio.

That was my understanding, that the orifice size was based on gpm, since the psi is regulated by the orifice, which essentially takes the place of the spray tip. Using a #9 on an 8gpm machine gives you about 3200psi, which I would imagine would hinder the draw ratio, and make it hard to control if you're not using a lance. Using a #13 would give you 1500 psi, and using a #16 will give you 1000psi.

It just doesn't make sense to base the orifice requirement on psi, since machines aren't set at a particular psi...they're simply rated to handle a particular psi.

I use a #16 with my 5.6 gpm machine, and it works beautifully. I changed to the #16 to help decrease the amount of mist and over spray that I seemed to get when I switched from a 4gpm machine to a 5.6 gpm machine, using a #13. It seems to apply chem just as high. Pressure wasn't a real issue because I rarely rinsed with it anyway, I would either use an extension, or 00?? something or other, depending on the height.

#16 4000-5000 psi

#13 3000-4000 psi

#9 2000-3000 psi

I'm confused. I'm not sure what those #'s represent, but all I know is that the pressure I experienced with the #16 was far less than with the #13.

{where's the smiley face for I've been out partying all night, and feeling pretty good}

Those #'s represent which orifice X-Jet to use with a certain PSI washer. The X-Jet is a PSI based tool.

That just doesn't make sense. As we all know, pressure is determined by the tip size. My machine isn't a 3000psi machine until I insert enough of a restriction in the line to create 3000 psi with the 8gpm my machine puts out. That's usually done with a nozzle, but in the case of the Xjet, it is done with the orifice inside the Xjet. We all make a big deal about how you regulate pressure with tips, but suddenly we seem to forget that bit of knowledge when it comes to the Xjet? I'm not sure why the Xjet has its orifice sizes based on psi, but it simply makes no sense.

Think about this...What if I have a 10gpm machine that is rated to 3000 psi. What you're saying is that I'll be fine using a #9 orifice in the Xjet based strictly on the fact that my pump was built to handle 3000 psi. Now, if I actually used a #9 orifice in the Xjet on a 10gpm machine, I'd be creating 5000psi, which is way over what my pump, hose, and fittings are rated at.

Like I said, it just makes no sense.

If you look at a nozzle chart using the X-Jet orifice number and the psi rating that goes with it, you will see the variation of gpm. It is not one set number.

#16 4000-5000 psi (My chart doesn't have 16, so this is pretty close.)

#13 3000-4000 psi

#9 2000-3000 psi

O...k?

Not sure what all that means, but I stand by my position that there's no way the orifice size can be determined by psi rating of the machine. From what you're saying, the ONLY reason I'd need a #16 orifice is if I have a machine rated between 4k and 5k...even if I have a 20gpm machine rated at 2kpsi, I should still use a #9. Simply ludicrous. It makes NO SENSE. :)

If you look at a nozzle chart using the X-Jet orifice number and the psi rating that goes with it, you will see the variation of gpm. It is not one set number.

#13 3000-4000 psi

#9 2000-3000 psi

#13 3000-4000 psi

#9 2000-3000 psi

A #16 orifice will not create more pressure than a smaller orifice (#13). Think about what you're saying, when it comes to regular tips, which creates more pressure 4016 or 4013?

A #16 orifice will not create more pressure than a smaller orifice (#13). Think about what you're saying, when it comes to regular tips, which creates more pressure 4016 or 4013?

EXACTLY! A #16 will create less pressure, given the same gpm, or if you raise the gpm, a #16 will allow you to keep the pressure lower than if you were using a smaller orifice.

Alan: That may be "the way it is", but it is still wrong. :) Wouldn't be the first time a distributor or even a manufacturer didn't fully understand the product they were selling.

ron told me I could use a #13 but that I would probably be happier with a #16, so I went with the 16 and I like it alot better than the 13 that I wore out. Thats right they will wear out over time.

ron told me I could use a #13 but that I would probably be happier with a #16, so I went with the 16 and I like it alot better than the 13 that I wore out. Thats right they will wear out over time.

I've had the same failure problem on all three of my M-5's, the little plasitic pieces that squeeze the metal tabs together get weak and eventually break off. To me, it's a flaw in the design, and should be looked into by X-terrior.

I have to agree with Mike, the orifice size is no different than a normal tip. I would like to hear from the guy from xterior who does frequent these boards, or even a equip distributer.

#16 4000-5000 psi

#13 3000-4000 psi

#9 2000-3000 psi

Alan, et.al;

I just spoke with xterior about this last week. The recommended nozzle for a 3000/8.5gpm is a #20. Orifice selection is pressure and flow dependent. Call xterior for specifics about your hardware. The whole PSI scale is an oversimplified guide they publish for mass market retailers like Northern Tool.

According to xterior a #9 is recommended for my 3500psi/4gpm machine and a #13 is recommended for my 5.5/3000 machine. I have that setup and it works well. I do not like the #13 on the 4.0gpm (too weak) or the #9 on my 5.5 (overspray).

As far as your pump is concerned, it's just another tip/orifice. When in doubt, break out the pressure gauge. IMHO, it appears that 500psi is about where you want the immediately pre-gun pressure to be for an x-jet.

One last thing, when I mated my 4.0 & my 5.5 machines (~8.5gpm) and used the #13 orifice I was seeing 2500psi. The stream length was not noticibly longer, but the "core" stream was about 1/4" in diameter and the overspray was immense. I'd LOVE to see this thing with a #20 orifice.