Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Boycott

Question

Anybody going to participate in the national boycott that is going to go on Monday for the illegal aliens or the rallys. I'm NOT. I dont like being around that many people breaking the law

I just cant figure why they are going to boycott the economy that is giving them work. I was told by many in construction that there has been a lot of immigrants not working this past week out of fear of a immigrtion sweep. I heard they might do it at some of the smaller rallies or take photos of them and get them later, we'll see

I'm getting a little sick of seeing some of them holding the American flag upside down

32 answers to this question

I'm fed up with these people. Don't they get it. The problem is not with legal immigrants, it's the illegals!! They want to live and work here for years and then expect us to say, "oh well, never mind that you've broken the law for years and knew exactly what you were doing, here's a free pass. Sorry for the hassle by the way." Work visas, fine. Legal immigration, fine. Coming over the border to have a baby on US soil, not fine.

My wife is English, we had been married for over ten years and had three children together when we decided to move to the states. I moved here to start a new job while she stayed in England to keep the kids in school while her immigration paperwork processed. It took 11 months! We wanted to do things legally. I have absolutely no sympathy for illegals and my wife has even less. BTW, she has a job that involves employee verification and has busted dozens for false ID. There will be three or four using the same social number and other forms of ID.

Am I willing to pay more for things in order to have it done by LEGAL residents, yes!!

Stepping off of soap box.....for now.:soapbox:

....Most people don't have yardsales on a Monday, so they should be fine. But I do worry for the good people of AutoZone and Advanced Autoparts. Perhaps they can overcome this loss of sales, :)

I have noticed a lot of Mexicans have North Carolina ID's & License plates I guess the are pretty lax in NC. I can not lie I have used "day laborers" for personal projects at my house. But I agree If they want to be here and make money they should have to fallow the laws & pay taxes. They should also have to pay healthcare cost!

I speak with many local contractors who employ various mexicans. When asked about the last boycott, the general consensus was that only the legals boycotted. The illegals were at work, working.

Interesting subject that will probably take many years to find a solution ~ if there is one. I agree with Alan that one day will not have a huge impact on the economy.

I for one do believe that those that do come into the U.S. illegally should be deported, whether from Mexico, Asia, Middle East and Europe. It doesn't matter what country you are from. The law applies to everybody.

I do get approached when I visit my local Home Depot from our friends from south of the border looking for me to hire them. I simply give them my business card and tell them that the need to fill out a job application and go through the screening process that all my prospective employees need to go through.

It is difficult for me to convey this to them as I do not speak spanish. When they discover that I cannot communicate with them they are further confused as my name (Carlos Gonzales) perputuates the notion that I should hire them.

As mentioned, this is a very interesting subject and it is sure to get more heated over time.

(Laughing here), that is very funny Carlos. I was imagining their confusion when you tell them you don't speak Spanish. I imagine in your area of the country there are plenty of people your age that are 2nd generation (or beyond). Around here that would be unheard of. It does evoke unique emotions--the town I grew up in was out in the country, about 1000 people (all white). In the early 80's, a landscape facility opened up and the owner brought up a dozen or so Mexicans. They have all been in this small town that whole time, as well as most of their families, etc. I'd say in a town of 1000 they now make up 100-200, are active in the community, have a name of gold, well-respected, honest business people.

I agree, illegal is illegal, but man, it is hard to fight a guy that wants to work, when we have so many bums over here that won't work and milk the system. I see really big pros and cons to both sides of this issue.

I feel that everybody should become legal! But it should be before they ever come here. There are many immigrants from South America that are very hard working people should they have to wait 8, 10, 12 years for papers or to become a citizen probably not. 1, 2, or 3 years or a little more to be allowed to come work legally yes and then another few years to see if they are worthy to become a citizen and then after they pay their dues and stay within the laws & rules of our country they should be allowed to stay.

I just think & fear that we as a country cant sustain 1/2 to a million illegals every year or so coming here. Ive seen wages go down in my area in construction and hotels because of so much cheap labor from the illegals and my area is in a building boom and wages shouldnt be going down. I also think you should learn the language & customs of the county you want to call your new home.

Many years ago 1980 I lived in Santa Barbara CA and I worked in a computer clean room it was me and one other american guy and about 8 mexcan women. I used to come in and the radio was on a mexican sttion and I would turn it to an american station so I could understand it. After a few months working there a couple of the mexican women started complaining to me, they spoke broken english. They didnt like me turning the station, nicely I told them I dont know spanish and that why I would turn the station( plus i cant stand the sound of the music ). Well there was many complaints about me turning the station to our boss and he said why dont you listen t the mexican music for half the the shift and my music half. It became a big thing ad I said its ammerica and we shouldnt have to listen to Mexican music that i dont understand at all. Well it went all the way to the top brass and at the time it was decided and I think it was the rule of the area or company that everyone was to speak english. so they said the same about the radio and it no longer played mexican music. I had some mad mexicans but i also had a few say they didnt blame me

Come to our country legally and prove your self and and learn or rules & customs, immigrants from all ver the world have for decades. Our country wasnt designed to take in immigrants and set up a bunch of little mexicos it was designed to bring in immigrants and make them a part of America making America stronger not to divide it into little ethic groups and Im not saying they have to give up their culture, but they sure should learn ours and make it a major part of their everyday life, my ancestors did and so didnt every other group of foreigners for over a century or 2

We cant keep up the pace of illegals coming into this country with out it adversely effecting the country. We pay a lot out of our pockets every day to give them free services etc. Let them work and contribute just like all of us do

God Bless American and dont change the Anthem

JL

One of my pet peeves is the hyphonated American. Irish-American, African-American, Mexican-American. What's wrong with being just plain ol' AMERICAN!! My ancestry is the British Isles. I lived there for twelve years and I'm here to tell ya, I AIN'T BRITISH!!

:USA:

We do have our share of immigrants here in NC - more legal than not, more from South America than Mexico. A lot of the construction companies are taking the approach that "If you don't show up for work on Monday, you needn't show up on Tuesday". There are plenty of unemployed folks around here that would be glad to take those jobs that these silly people are boycotting about.

I also believe that all illegals should be deported. America being a melting pot is all well and good, so long as there is some sort of control over the spices being added :)

Celeste

I had one of my guys working last night. He is a really nice little guy. MBA and industrial engineer from Bogota Colombia. He is here legally as a political refugee from Colombia because he wanted to protect his wife who was a University Professor and little girl.

Some stupid yaahoo came up and threatened him that he would hunt him down if he showed up for work today. Coming from his backjground, that was enough and either I need to get him covered for tonight, or I need to work for him tonight. Not like I don't have enough work already. I am swamped mainly because I refuse to hire Illegal residents of the United States, no matter the color of their skin or the direction of their travel.

If these folks really want change they should be in their home countries protesting their governments for economic reform, ending corruption, etc. Then they wouldn't have to go anywhere to have a good standard of living.

Interesting quote from today:

"You should send all of the 13 million aliens home, then you take all of the welfare recipients who are taking a free check and make them do those jobs," said Jack Culberson, a retired Army colonel who attended the Pensacola rally. "It's as simple as that."

From the looks of the rally turnout - it had a bigger impact than people thought....

You know the rally's went off yesterday, did it help the illegals or hurt their cause

I personally dont like that we have a million or more illegals walking in protest and nothing is being done about it by our goverment. I know they couldnt sweep in and start arresting them, there would of been a riot. But like one sign I saw said" Im illegal so what". I think these rally's are just going to bring a bigger wave of illegals into the country, what do they have to fear? not much and I'm once again blaming our goverment. We are doing nothing. Why?

We have a goverment that supports illegal activity

I think many Americans are just sitting back watching and many dont like the fact that the illegals are here and may vote that way. I think the illegals should shut up and be happy they are getting away with it

Why dont they protest in their own country for better living & working conditions. Their goverment is supporting them coming to America, soon there will be no real border and more illegals, drugs & crime will just flow into our country whats to stop it. Yes there are many hard working mexicans , but there is a lot of crime & corruption in Mexico and its just going to keep coming our way with out secure borders and dont dought that many terrorist have come here and possibly are hear now and they came over from mexico.

We need to secure our borders, get a handle on stopping the flow of illegals, drugs, crime & terrorism and then once the borders are secure we an start to process immigrants quicker

Im voting for the 1st candidate that states he's for closing the flow of illegals, makes it a felony to hire them and wants the ilegals deported in mass, Republican or Dem they would get my vote

Boycott in your own country and stay there.

Whatever our opinion is let it be known www.sanate.gov www.house.gov

Why dont they protest in their own country for better living & working conditions.

They would probablt get killed for it.

Their goverment is supporting them coming to America

Of course they do, as so many send money back home boosting the economy there.

Yesterday as we were out working, we noticed that there were almost no contractors out there (smaller crews and fewer trucks), and the landscapers were not out at all. This area has a huge hispanic population. From what we could see here both legals and illegals took the day to rally. Of course we are in the DC area. We even had a homeowner (not one we were working for just a bystander) try to give us a hard time.

I'm not going to get into the right or wrong of it all.

Beth

Yesterday as we were out working, we noticed that there were almost no contractors out there (smaller crews and fewer trucks), and the landscapers were not out at all. This area has a huge hispanic population. From what we could see here both legals and illegals took the day to rally. Of course we are in the DC area. We even had a homeowner (not one we were working for just a bystander) try to give us a hard time.

I'm not going to get into the right or wrong of it all.

Beth

Ive read & heard of many businesses & people being threatened If they went to work or open their businesses, businesses run by Americans or Mexican Americans. Now is this the element we want in our country. We have illegals threatening legal americans or even illegals that just dont want to start something

I just want to know who they think they are to come here illegally and threaten us. Close the borders now!!! or we will keep paying in many ways

My Brother has lived in the Orlando/St Cloud area for over 22 years and always loved the area, I was never a big fan of the area just because its to hot for me. But my brother has raised his kids there and loved it. He now says its just not the same anymore and is thinking and is going to move out of the area for 2 reasons overcrowded and to many mexicans, he feels its brought the quality of life down. He's always been an Exec Chef and worked with all races well, but now its just different he says an he's uncmfortable in his own country or that part of the country

We ALL come from families that were once immigrants.

America was built by immigrants and is kept alive by their labor.

I see the biggest focus aimed at the hispanic's. Boy, do we discriminate or what?!?! What about the asian, english, french, german, etc... who come here illegally? If all this weren't in the news, this conversation wouldn't be happening with any of us.

You are being distracted by the media.

Rod!~

California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Texas....all of these were part of Mexico before we took over and drove them back. Just a little history lesson to add here.

Beth

The boycott yesterday did indeed have a economical impact on businesses all over the country. I was surprised of the turnout and the volume of people that participated.

Jeff, I certainly understand your compassion about this particular subject and I do agree on several of your points. We must remember that this is about ALL illegals entering into the country and not just one particular race.