Sign in to follow this  
CCPC

Remote valve shut off (downstreaming)

Well, I’ve finished my latest upgrade. Since I started down streaming again (which I love, by the way), the only thing that really got on my nerves was having to walk back to the trailer, and shut off the ball valve every time I wanted to rinse with low pressure. Well, those days are over. Thanks to the help of my father and brother (both electrical engineers) I finished my remote valve shut off device.

Now I can shut of the draw line to my injector from anywhere on a property with a touch of a button. I helped my brother put together the circuit board that contains the receiver, and my father and I enjoyed an afternoon putting the rest of the box and wiring together. The ball valve is a common 1/2” pvc, powered by a motor off of a retired Shurflo pump. All the electrical is 12v so I can simply hook up to the marine battery I already use for cleaning roofs. I’m looking into refining the design of the motor and ball valve to a smaller 12v motor and a smaller ball valve. The reason for the ½” ball valve was because I needed a valve that could handle the torque of the Shurflo motor.

When I first started looking into this I thought about an electric powered solenoid valve, but to find ones suitable for chemical abuse, they were upwards of 200-300 clams. The great thing about the motor and ball valve idea is that the ball valve is separated from all the other equipment, so if it goes bad, all I have to do is buy another $3 ball valve and I’m back in business. Another possible use for this (now that I can shut off the chem. line remotely), is to put a shurflo pump in the draw hose of my injector for the ability to drastically increase the chem. Strength. I plan to experiment with this over the weekend. Who knows, maybe with the right shurflo pump inline I can increase the chem. ratio enough to clean roofs with my injector.

We also went with a keyfob remote that has extra buttons so I can add other remote upgrades in the future by simply adding a few components to the circuit board.

Project cost analysis:

Electrical components - $60

Ball valve - $3

Plastic container, assorted nuts, bolts, fasters, etc - $15

Shurflo motor and other mounting hardware – on hand

Time – who cares, it’s quality time with the old man and bro.

post-497-137772156664_thumb.jpg

post-497-137772156669_thumb.jpg

Way to go Lance looks like you saved yourself major time and hassle on up on those roofs...:lgkeyboar

Now you just have to remmber to keep your batteries in your remote charge up :D

What type of roof's are you using this on?

How many GPM and what PSI is your machine?

I'm not using on roofs (yet).

The keyfob is simply a way to shut off the flow to my injector remotly. The main reason for this was to aid in my downstreaming procedures when cleaning houses (much time savings).

My reference to the roof cleaning was because if I were to equip a shurflo in the draw line of my injector I could possibly greatly increase the the chem draw and because of of having the remote valve shut off, I could shut down the flow on the roof which would stop the shurflo from pumping and stop the chem flo from my injector, for easy application and rinsing.

Sounds like a mastercard commercial! I want to put a on/off on my burner so I can shut it off from across the parking lot(damn I'm lazy).

I have remote downstream too ..But cant get any chem injector to work with my 350' hose and hose reel. Im set up with a remote control solinoid that opens up my chem feed but cant draw with all that hose, there has to be a way.....

I have remote downstream too ..But cant get any chem injector to work with my 350' hose and hose reel. Im set up with a remote control solinoid that opens up my chem feed but cant draw with all that hose, there has to be a way.....

Hey Charles, Nice to see another local. About the downstreaming, you will probably never be able to draw chems with that much hose, too much back pressure. If you reduce your hose length to 250'- 300' and use a down streamer that's one size smaller than recommended for your machine, you will not only be able to draw, but you will drastically be able to increase your chem draw rate.

If your insistent on keeping the 350 on the reel, you might want to look into an M-5 X-jet.

How do you reverse the motor to make it turn on and off? Doesn't the motor usually only go in one direction?

Good question. permanent magnet motors can easily be driven in both directions by changing the polarity. Basically, if you take a motor and hook it to a battery, if you connect the wires one way to the battery it will go in one direction, and if you switch them, it will turn in the opposite direction. We used common automotive relays to accomplish the polarity changes.

I use a remote contol that turns on and off my motor and 2 chemical on and off. I paid 1200 for the set up. If you have a smart wired motor , it plug and play. Do a search on google for mpi remote +pressure washing....

I thought you said you solved that draw issue with that set up you spoke of. Im dead certain that there is a solution to this chemical draw, never say never. There has to be a way, anyway please call me at 434-1108 I have a few questions for you. By the way one solution I was offer was by The Pressure Washing Store - Dave said to change to 1/2 inch pressure hose, ever heared that one????

Instead of a sure flow pump part, could you use a adjustable solenoid like those used to open and close doors on rods? Those also have a remote control available.

Douglas Hicks

General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc

I am currently using a solenoid with the remote however I use it with a downstream injector. I only use the injector because I dont know of a solenoid that can handel the back pressure of 3000 psi. That would be my answer if on could, know of one I could buy???

I thought you said you solved that draw issue with that set up you spoke of. Im dead certain that there is a solution to this chemical draw, never say never. There has to be a way, anyway please call me at 434-1108 I have a few questions for you. By the way one solution I was offer was by The Pressure Washing Store - Dave said to change to 1/2 inch pressure hose, ever heared that one????

Charles, I think you may have misunderstood what my valve is for. It's for controling a ball valve that stops the flow of my chem draw hose for my injector. I'm not having any chem draw issues, I only keep 200' on the reel becuase 9 times out of 10, it gives me plenty of length. In the rare occasions that I need more hose length, I carry back up hose (usually only 50-100').

Just curious why you need that much hose on the reel anyways? Can't you just keep 250' on the reel and hold another hundered as back up? Anyway, I believe Dave is on the right track. The 1/2" hose will allow for less back pressure on the injector which could allow you to downstream with 350', but I've heard from others that using 1/2" hose can be quite a pain in a** because of the extra weight and what not.

Did you try going with a smaller injector yet? This will allow you draw a stronger chem solution, as well as allow you to draw with more hose. I think you might want to try that first. Go with an injector that's one size to small for your machines rated GPM. I use a rated 3-5 gpm injector with my 5.6 gpm machine and I get great draw with 250-300 feet (just be sure to disconnect it anytime your not downstreaming).

Give me a call over the weekend, I'll talk your ear off LOL!!

Instead of a sure flow pump part, could you use a adjustable solenoid like those used to open and close doors on rods? Those also have a remote control available.

Douglas Hicks

General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc

Maybe you could. The way I did it was just because it was the cheapest way while using a lot of parts already on hand. In reality, controlling a valve with a motor is not anywhere near the best way to do it. The best way would be to buy a chemical resistant solenoid valve like charles has and find a transmitter and receiver kit that would be compatible with it, but whichever way you go, your probably going to want it 12v.

I've heard from others that using 1/2" hose can be quite a pain in a** because of the extra weight and what not.

I can attest to that....I have 50' of 1/2" hose that came with the machine...that stuff is HEAVY...though as others have pointed out, it allows your machine to work more efficiently.

Hello Lance,

A remote controlled ball valve on your chem line......BRILLIANT!! Man I could use one of those. I too like to rinse or water plants with low pressure and can't because it draws chems, that or I have to walk to the trailer and shut it off manually.

I made a setup of my own that not only allows me to remote control my injector, but I also mix my chems on command. I have a 1/4 inch "t" downline past my solenoid. One line draws SH and the other draws soap. I have a proportioning valve in the soap side so that I get the correct ratio. I never have to mix chems before going on a job. I have my soap in a bag with a back flow proof valve on the bag. I nver have to unhook it. I just change the bag when it is empty.

I have recently had a couple of people ask me to build them the remote control system. Is this something that is marketable?