Sign in to follow this  
blackjack21

how long do hoses last

Question

I've seen some threads and talked to some people that say their pressure hoses last one, two years or longer! Mine typically last only a few months. Is this normal? I use a gates hose rated 4000 psi on my 4000 psi machine. Is there a way to get more life from my hoses???

Thanks,

Blackjack

25 answers to this question

Two wire hoses last longer than 1 wire. I buy 2 wire hose rated above my units psi. The swivles may go out in a few months and need replacing but the hose it self lasts a lot longer. I had one hose for 4 years before it finally broke to many times to be repaired.

A good rule of thumb is to buy parts rated to 1 1/2 times your pumps rated pressure. Typically when the manufacturers make thir parts they stretch the ratings to the max or over state their capabilities. 2 wire hose will last a lot longer than 1 wire and can take much mor abuse, even getting run over by trucks, dragged, etc. (as shown by my employees who dont like to roll them up before moving) and I have also found that using soft unloaders like the K7 saves my hoses from blowing open as soon as a trap unloader will.

My GoodYear Neptune 4500 psi R2 hoses have lasted as long as 4 years, while a brand new Neptune 3000 psi 1 wire lasted all of 2 months, and when repaired sprung 6 more leaks. Out of the 100 feet, I only have 30 feet left, and it is on it's way out real soon. Less than 3 months old.

I tried to be cheap, and save a buck, but it is just $175.00 in the trash, not to mention all of the repairs trying to milk the life out of it. I will go back to 2 wire hose only, on my next order.

I had my new rig hose last just over 2 years but when it blew a hole, I did not have the spare with me and when I finally changed it, I used it for about 30 minutes and there is a hole in it. I bought it on sale and will not mention the company but it is brand new and will never buy anything from that company again. I feel like I got scammed with the shipping rates. I know if I call and complain I will be wasting my time and getting more angry with them. I will just cut off the bad piece and put a new end on it and with the other hose, I will put a new end on it and use it as an extension when needed. I have a few friends that say they get about 2 years out of their hoses. Hope this helps.

Gee Chris,

Let me guess... E-SPec Welcome to the club. Best part is, trying to get service. Good luck as they treat you like you are an idiot for even trying to get serviced. If you are lucky, maybe even John himself will call you and hassle you. Then you know have made it.

I now spend more and have ZERO problems since I stopped using them.

my r2 hose lasted 5 years, it finally blew up back in jan, 2 100 ft sections one of them broke so i replaced the 100 ft section. lots of memories with that hose.

Ok, I know many may think this is isolated or not realistic but I am a firm believer in taking care of the hoses by not dragging them around corners, avoiding allowing them to get knotted up, keep them from being run over, laying them all out in a serpentine pattern to ease movement, not leaving them on the reel for friction damage, minimizing pulling across asphalt and concrete, not shooting them with the nozzle, and cleaning them as they are rolled up onto the reel.

Yes it is a PITA to maintain them and changing the high pressure couplings periodically can take time out of your schedule but so far I have a set that are going into year three with little incidence.

Some hoses are dependent on the quality put into the manufacturing of them and the consistency of same. I had one that lasted 6 weeks and it blew. Others lasted 2 years and had a blowout. I have another one that is 4 years old and has some bad cuts in the casing but it still is holding up (knocking wood here).

If a hose blows more than once, it's gone. Standard rule.

Rod!~

Hoses that are rated at 3000 psi are tested at 3 times that pressure . If your hoses are used in truck , flatwork and industrial setting they do not last as long . I like the lightest hose since my elbows cannot take the extra wieght . I have found that Schieffler hoses seem to be holding up good . Also you need to find a local repair guy that is good or you will be repairing it again. If a hose breaks more than once throw it away it will cost more in downtime than it is worth .

ACR PRODUCTS INC.

attachment.php?attachmentid=4105&d=1147927697

If a hose breaks more than once throw it away it will cost more in downtime than it is worth .

I cant believe i waisted good money for these hydrolic presses.

Please send all hoses that break twice to Ronald A ********** @ po box 4092 mesa az 85211

If you want I will gladly take them, please no hoses over 6 months old.

I really can’t say because a hose breaks twice you should throw it out.

Maybe for some it’s a good idea to inspect the hose. I see what your saying problematic hose does cause down time.

I eliminate that by using 300 ft on all rigs and keeping a 100 foot back up. My hoses on the reel are usually one solid 250 or 300 foot length. That its self eliminates more problems. (Less fittings and weak spots) Some may get that and some may see problems with it.

I inspect my hoses and record the dates of how old they are when installed on each rig.

When repairing we can see it the hose is too old or damaged too much to repair. Keep in mind the most common mistake people make when repairing the hose it that they do not cut the hose past the bad spot.

Bad spot is the part that drags on the ground about 6 to 9 feet from the end.

This is the part of the hose that receives the most wear.

Many times when you get the first hole its in this area or by the gun.

I don’t mean to be a jerk about this but simply saying if a hose breaks twice its done is not really a lateral way to judge this, simply because then your really just guessing.

I would say if your hose needs repair twice, start looking at the hose a little closer. Carry a back up always so this doesn’t cost you; get the life out of that hose. They are expensive.

**********/board/upload/showthread.php?p=9390#post9390

So Alan,

My curiosity got the best of me, and I looked up your original post on ***. So you are running the original hoses on your pressure washer? How many hours does that thing have on it now?

Yes Scott, I ran my original hoses unitil about about 2 months ago. Many repairs due to abuse, but they did well. I probably could get some more use from them, but am tired of the repairs as it was happening more often.

As far as hours, I can only guess as my hour meters have not been on the machine since new, and I have replaced them several times. I use them to track maintenance and thats it. I know you probably log more hours in a month than I do in 6, but my little one man show is doing plenty.

Hello Everyone, I cut off the bad spot a few inches lower than where the hole was with a chop saw and used one of the hose repair kits from Gates. It was easy to do and in a short time I had the hose back in service. I used it earlier tonight and worked great. I will have to get some more repair kits so when it happens again I will be up and running faster. The chop saw was easier than using an angle grinder. A friend has a circular saw with a metal blade that works great for him when he repairs his hoses. Now when the other repair kits get here, I can repair my original hose and then use it as an extension or spare.

thanks for all the replies; good thread. I have a double wire hose coming off the hose reel that I'm testing to see how much longer it lasts. It will have to last signifigantly longer for me to justify the cost, and more importantly the headache of lugging all that weight around. I'll post the results when it goes, hopefully 2 or 3 years from now ;)

Blackjack

You can get the kits from Pressure Tek, Steve Rowlett, Water Cannon, etc... Call the person who helps you the most and send some business their way. A lot of people and businesses have helped me and I purchase stuff from them. Get to know the suppliers and find out who has experience and who can help you when you need it. There are a lot of knowledgeable people out here who do not mind helping. Check the websites of suppliers and see what they sell but remember......The website usually does not show all the inventory and there are a lot of things that they sell but are not on the website so ask them. Hope this helps.

The kit takes only 5-10 minutes to install. It really helps if you have a chop saw or angle grinder to cut the bad part off. You need a good edge on the hose and cannot have the hose or wires frayed. You have the large part that threads counter-clockwise over the hose and you thread it until it stops (the hose has snugged up against the inside of the connector). The other part you push into the hose and it has threads that threads into the large connector so it pushes the hose outward into the threads of the outer piece and this makes a good tight fitting. A friend of mine has used these for many years and has never had one fail or come off. You might need to put some vaseline on the threads of the small part to help it go into the hose and it will lubricate the threads of the larger part. Hope this helps.

The kit takes only 5-10 minutes to install. It really helps if you have a chop saw or angle grinder to cut the bad part off. You need a good edge on the hose and cannot have the hose or wires frayed. You have the large part that threads counter-clockwise over the hose and you thread it until it stops (the hose has snugged up against the inside of the connector). The other part you push into the hose and it has threads that threads into the large connector so it pushes the hose outward into the threads of the outer piece and this makes a good tight fitting. A friend of mine has used these for many years and has never had one fail or come off. You might need to put some vaseline on the threads of the small part to help it go into the hose and it will lubricate the threads of the larger part. Hope this helps.

Thanks Chris. I have repair kits and use them frequently....too frequently. guess they'll have to do.

thanks Ron, Do you know of any websites where I can purchase one.

any hydrolic store, find a large one and you can get a lease return for a few hundred dollars.

I bought two about 10 years agos, one still works like a champ and the one at my other shop has been repaired twice.

if you buy new they will run 800 to 2500 depending on the type and brand.