Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Full time or part time?

Full time or part time?  

282 members have voted

1. 1. Full time or part time?

• Full time
    • Part time and like it that way.
    • Part time and working on gaining more biz to be full time.
    • Not sure what I'm doing and may sell out.

Question

94 answers to this question

I love the census data. You can gleen so much from it. Glad to share it. :)

If you look at Montgomery County, we have so much in our area it's wonderful - very dense population. A number of the other counties look good too. Some of the smaller ones you really don't hear much about. For such a small state, we sure have alot of counties. :groovy3:

Out of all the counties in Maryland I think were the largest and also the most expensive to live in..LOL The only problem is, they are still building!! The worst part is that almost everything the are building is townhouses and condos so they can cram more of us in together..

That explains the traffic!!! For those of you that don't know, it can take 45 minutes in bumper to bumper traffic just to get to Rockville which is maybe 15 miles during rush hour!

Now this should help people understand how we can both be so busy and still live so close together. I think there are at least 6 other companies within 10 minutes of our homes but none of them want to go to the roundtables our check out the PWNA. I chat with them on occasion but I haven't managed to get any of them to join the pwna except one from Frederick county.

It really is crazy here. Some of the single family homes in our area, you can reach out the window and practically touch your neighbors home. Some seem less than 24 feet apart. I say this because washing between the homes can be tricky if you have a need to use and extension pole for something stubborn. Luckily, most of these sardine homes are new and the siding needs little more than a rinse.

The traffic here is awful. The number of condos and townhome communities and even the smaller lot sizes on single family homes has made it a nightmare. Also our planners never allow enough parking anywhere. Some of the malls could really use more parking.

And they just keep building....

In our area we can work and stay within 15 minutes of home easily. We are lucky. We travel but are selective about the projects.

Those builders and planners who have over crowded our area have helped contractors here - probably not on purpose either.

Beth

Oh henry

Everyday they have someting on there website for 24 hours about business, sports or what ever. All I did was copied and pasted to this website. I gave credit to the editor and where she is from. Because I am not in the consulting business or publishing a book I can email or give this article to anybody I want.

You may want to copy this and print it and stick it on your wall or give it to all the people you help

End of Subject.

Charlie

Alan

My mistake didn't read all the intials.

Charlie

Hey Charlie,

I'm sorry, I didn't realize what you were talking about in your last post.. Me and Beth were talking about something else..

In my original comment I was just kidding about it. I honestly don't care where anyone gets stuff or posts it too. It just struck me as funny at the time thats all.

No harm or foul intended

I stumbled into this business two years ago while doing a brainstorm. At first I thought about auto detailing, but no thanks... people are too picky and stingy when it comes to their cars. Then after doing some research I realized you could get a hot water unit and I was sold on the concept. I bought my first hot pressure washer without ever even pulling the trigger or hearing one! Now, two years later I'm fully set-up with reclaim, chem knowledge, and do interiors as well as exterior cleaning. I finally got to go full time this month (November, 2004) and I'm keeping really busy. I'm amazed on a daily basis how it seems every small house-call of an oil stain, garage steam-clean, patio cleaning... turn into a full day's work. All I can say is ALWAYS try to upsell, let people know by way of a brochure when you get to their house (builds credibility, trust) and tell them everything you can do to help them.

Yesterday for instance, I was called to clean a driveway in a fairly prestigious neighborhood. There were oil stains as well as rust, pretty typical situation. I steam cleaned it, used DR-60 on the oil and rust, then asked the customer if there was anything else he'd like me to do while I was there and already set up. I ended up washing his pool deck, exterior furniture (I do awnings as well), house, and next week I will do THREE of his restaurants! ...and then I'll get the contract monthly (didn't ask yet but just know it!).

...Oh, now 2 neighbors want theirs done too.

This has been happening on almost every call. :^) ..I'm counting my lucky stars and hope it keeps up!

I'm part time right now, just starting out, building my inventory my equipment. I'm a little uneasy right now but I have everybody behind me. I've watch to many people go out with an idea and make a good living. Now it's my turn.

I'm part time right now, just starting out, building my inventory my equipment. I'm a little uneasy right now but I have everybody behind me. I've watch to many people go out with an idea and make a good living. Now it's my turn.

Go for it, it can be done in this biz

Good luck

JL

I just finished my 1st year of power washing and can say I was a real busy prt timer. I could have been considered full time , but I am caoching a couple of my kids baseball and soccer teams and that comes first. I want to thank all the old timers for their willingness to share , it's made my learning experience easier. Now that I have a better idea of what I am doing I hope to double my work next year and get it done in agout the same amount of time. Again, thanks for the help and I hope everyone has a great New Year.

I have been full time since I started in 2004. Although I started with some borrowed equipment to get started, I soon was able to set up a commercial rig and kept adding equipment.

If I had to do it over again, I wish I would have gotten more flow output on the PW. I currently use 5 gpm/3500 TUFF with heater. It is and has been a great machine.

As a word of encouragement to anyone trying to make it hapen

I've been washing seriously since about 1995, overall since 1991, We work every month of the year on residential jobs mostly, some comercial, whever the money is, we are even picky with the jobs, we dont run estimates...

But the busier it gets the more work to do, office work that is, I can do all aspects of PWing well (that my buz services) but I havent done a job in months, The only jobs I do are for employee training purposes, new equipt testing, or very special jobs. And maybe for fun sometimes, to show my crews I still have it, but they could kick my a** nowadays.

Summer, Winter, rain, whatever, its no issue

Good Luck

Matt

Good Evening Everyone! I am just getting started part-time with my own power washing business. I have done exterior power washing in the past on rental properties for the owner at their request and have decided that I would like to pursue this business by starting off part-time. I want to make sure I have everything straight before power washing residential homes so I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a few things. Such as: how do I obtain insurance? I don’t see and EPA regulations in Virginia so does that mean I don’t have to collect the water runoff? I appreciate any assistance you can provide. So far all I have is some of the equipment needed and my business license. I would also like to know how I can get certified in cleaning decks and other certifications plus any training materials that you suggest as I know there is a lot for me to learn after reading several of these posts. Thanks in advance for any advice you have to give. :)

Keith,

I'll tell you what I do that works for me. Many others can also give you some good advice here. First off if you want to read a little about the Clean Water act and reclaiming you can get some of that off of one of my websites Pressure washing and cleaning concrete, building washing, commercial power washing, EPA Clean Water Act reclaimation and capture compliance in New York - Clean Up America The rule of thumb is only "Rain down the storm drain". On my website I have a couple of Certifications with one being from the PWNA Power Washers of North America - THE industry association for the power washing, pressure washing and pressure cleaning industry. Find Power washing companies, power washing contractors, pressure washing compnaies and power washing chemcial and equip As for my other business Pressure washing and sealing decks, fences, house washing, power washing building exteriors Clean County Power Washing - Long Island New York you will see that I have a wood certification also thru the PWNA. There are plenty of other places also that you can learn about wood restoration and Power washing in general such as from the ***** - Contractors On The Move , Delco at Delco Cleaning Systems of Fort Worth, Pressure Power Washers or from Contractor education services at http://ceswebsite.com/

I'm surprised that you were able to get a business license in your state without proof of insurance. In my state to get a contractor license you must have proof of insurance and for that I use Joe Walters Joseph D. Walters Insurance Agency, Inc. - Insurance for Power Pressure Wash Contract Cleaners, 800-878-3808 who knows all about what a Powerwasher needs. He is a co- founder of both the PWNA and the *****.

Also another thing you should consider besides one day possibly joining these orgs to help in the marketing of your business and making many connections is to keep track on this bulletin board when the next Roundtable event is. You can travel to these like I do and get a wealth of knowledge and make many contacts and friends in this industry. You can also look for ones that are close to your home. Maryland may have one in the near future. Rumor also has it that there could be one in Richmond VA after the summer.

Last but never least use the search button above and type in what your looking for to get some more info and feel free to post anymore questions you have...anytime.

I hope this gives you some needed insight..

Good Luck

Thank you very much John!! This is exactly the information I needed and I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond! I do have a few more questions such as: Did any of you leave good office careers to pursue your interest in running your own business and did you start off part time to do so? How much equipment did you start off with? I have a decent power washer that does a great job on washing houses and cleaning decks, a truck, a latter and a paint sprayer (can this be used to stain decks?). What other bare essentials do you suggest that I first purchase such as an x-jet, surface cleaner, ect? I am definitely going to try to make a Roundtable Event as soon as I can. Thanks again! Keith

since i have a full time job i have made this a part time adventure. i have worked in maintenance with goodyear tire for the past 23 years as an electrician. i bought my first pressure washer 15 years ago (1500 psi simpson). i bought it "6 months same as cash" and then put an add in the local paper to pay for it. guess what? it didn't take me 6 months after all. simpson makes a great washer so i used this machine for about 14 years and then bought a dewalt from home depot last year. i knew the union and goodyear was not going to come to terms on the contract so i cranked up the business with advertising and upgrades. we did go on strike for 3 months and the business really helped fill the void. this year i bought a cargo van and a hot water rig (thanks john) and i'm talking to the yellow page people right now. i hope to retire from goodyear in the next 7 years and can use this business as a hobby and a great source of income. oh, and by the way, the simpson still works.

rando

15 years ago I started. I wanted to stay small but that didn't happen.

Hard work and research paid off well.

Each year I see many others in my area start up but they are gone before the end of the season. Lack of experience and lack of work ethics play a key role.

Any of you other part-timers out there find it difficult to work it part time and have a 40 hour a week main job?

I feel like it would be easier to just go full time. My time is so limited to schedule things in that i sometimes think its harder as a part timer.

what do some of you full time guys that used to be part time think?

As of right now im a 7am -3:30 pm 5 days a week main job. I just look at all the time I could be using to build my business. I have 1.5 years to get it going then the Wife is out of school and she can carry our health insurance :)

Any of you other part-timers out there find it difficult to work it part time and have a 40 hour a week main job?

I feel like it would be easier to just go full time. My time is so limited to schedule things in that i sometimes think its harder as a part timer.

what do some of you full time guys that used to be part time think?

As of right now im a 7am -3:30 pm 5 days a week main job. I just look at all the time I could be using to build my business. I have 1.5 years to get it going then the Wife is out of school and she can carry our health insurance :)

I agree it is tough to jugle the job and biz at the same time. I do all my quotes/bids and small clean jobs after job hours and schedule the bigger jobs for the weekends and during the days off that I can get using vacation and sick days. On the other hand it is comforting to know that there is a paycheck coming up this winter season when it will get slower.

I havent had a day off in three months but it is very exciting seeing where this business is going. I am booked up until middle of august. I have increased my prices three times since march but jobs are still being booked.

I am very surprised that no one has voted for the last option. There are folks jumping off and out all around. I would suggest that the weather has played a major factor in this year. It has wreaked havoc with scheduling for many people. This actually goes back to the winter up here in the northeast, for full-time folks, as we had a rough winter with temperatures, snow, ice, etc. There seems to be a lot of equipment that is new to nearly-new available. I stand by previous made statements, that it isn't the industry we are in that makes you successful or not. It is the individual(s) involved. Many contractors who work outside are in the same situation that we are with weather issues, lowballers, etc. Business always seems to run in cycles, you just weather the storms!

I agree Everitt.

I think it is EGO that will not let many admit they are not making it ?

I just watched 4 go bye bye here in Tampa, saw the equipment for sale, etc, etc.