Sign in to follow this  
Kory

Kool deck ????

Question

I have never cleaned a Kool deck I need to know will my whisper classic damage it? I plan on useing 12.5% downstreamed let set for 30 min then rinse. Any other suggestions???

23 answers to this question

Do you mean to use it on wood? If so - don't. Go with the board, never in a side to side or circular fashion or you will tear up the wood. Wand only, drop your pressure by changing your tip (PSI 1000 or less). Let the cleaners do the work.

Beth

p.s. not trying to start a debate...but no bleach. Percarb ok, but no bleach. neutralize when finished.

Kool Decks are everywhere in FL.

We use chlorine mixed down to about 20-25% and apply with a pump-up sprayer. We usually go with a wand. Surface cleaners will usually damage it unless you go with some larger nozzles.

KoolDeck is that white surface that looks like splatter-textured drywall, and is usually surrounding pools. Right??? I don't think he is talking about a wood substitute....this is more like a textured concrete coating, or maybe a surface in and of itself. Not decking of any kind. Correct me if wrong, Floridians.

Ive got cool deck around my pool. It is textured conctete sprayed over the existing concrete. I have cleaned it several times with no ill effects. if it is applied right the surface cleaner will not harm it. It does tend to crack heavily, so watch out when you rinse that the pressure doesnt get under the coating and cause it to lift.

any tannin stains are very hard to get rid of and will need a higher concentration of chlorine on if it is stained badly. oxalic on any rust stains.

12% is fine on Kool Deck, surface cleaner can leave lines in surface but when it dries you don't really see them and they blend in after a few weeks. I use surface cleaner on them all the time some of the many Kool Decks I do are huge and would take forever. After they have been down for a while theres a slight film that comes off when you use a surface cleaner or wand

Good luck

JL

It's mainly mold and mildew a little rust. HOA asked about just spaying then clorine down and leaving it. They said it was done before. My understanding is it must be rinsed. Is that true?

It's mainly mold and mildew a little rust. HOA asked about just spaying then clorine down and leaving it. They said it was done before. My understanding is it must be rinsed. Is that true?

If just mold & mildew yes you can spray strong 12% and do a quick rinse, if thats what they want, they just don't want to pay much it sounds like

I lived in Florida for 2 years and know lots of guys there that smoke those funny cigarettes. I can see them out back saying(in the Jeff Spicoli or Tommy Chong tone of voice).. Guy 1 "Koooool Deck Man" Guy 2 "Yeah it's a composite dude"

If you use oxalic on the rust stains, use it over ALL the deck. I had these funny spots that didnt restain from the leaves like the rest of the deck. I finally remembered that each spot was where some rust was and got hit with oxalic. I dont know why but it kind of acted like a sealer or it just acted residually.

I need to seal mine. with in a day the tannin stains are back. Giant oak tree of neighbors hangs over it.

Way I do them is spray chlorine and run whisper on it, moving it pretty quickly ( wont take much to clean) then use wand or open your valve quarter way to spray away from pool towards the drains.....If you are doing the bird cage, apply chlorine first then do whisper work, wherever the screen is bad, apply again.....easy work and it is a whole lot faster and effective to use whisper rather than wand.

Thanks Aloha. No cage. I did a test spot with the wand and it looks like some of the paint was worn. The high parts had a gray look to it in some areas.

Hey Jon I tried some of that rust stuff ameritech sell that stuff is awesome! I pump sprayed it on and the rust melted away.

Hey Everyone

I have a hotel wanting their sidewalks cleaned. I believe that this is kool deck. Im leary of putting the surface cleaner on this and Im hoping to put a good mix down and gently rinse it.... Am I dreaming? Has anyone else dealt with stains like these? It looks like trash bags or something else has leaked from the maids carts. I plan to go by and wash a test spot this week but Im wondering how big of a pita im in for....

Thanks for any pointers

post-4896-137772312121_thumb.jpg

post-4896-137772312219_thumb.jpg

post-4896-137772312315_thumb.jpg

post-4896-137772312408_thumb.jpg

Chris - Do your test spot but you shouldn't be afraid of these coatings. They are cementious products and are supposed to be well adhered to the concrete surface they were applied to. Definitely be responsible and check for cracking or lifting (same as you would looking at a stucco or dryvit house!) If you find a cracked or puckered area - wash carefully. Other than that, cleaners for concrete are just fine :)

Thanks Celeste

I went ahead and went by there this afternoon. Did a test spot with a strong house wash mix then ran the classic across is and rinsed. It wasnt too bad. Came clean easier than regular concrete. Putting the mix down and letting it dwell for a little longer would probably even help more.

I take care of a few kool decks around pools. That finish looks similar to a kool deck but there are so many finishes now its hard to tell. As kool decks age they start to loose there color and chalk a bit. Then it cracks and starts to lift off. I use house wash strength mix or a little stronger if its bad . Don't go strong on this stuff ! Clean with warm water 100 to 125, surface cleaner. Rinse with a wand.