Sign in to follow this  
squirtgun

Any diabetics?

Question

15 answers to this question

I have reason to suspect I may be diabetic after doing some research online.Not to mention my mother was and dad is boderline.

What prompted you to get checked?

Scott my mom just passed away last summer from complications caused from her being a diabetic.She had been going thru dyalisis 3 times a week for the last 6 or 7 years or so.

I've never been check but i do think about it being in the genes.I just hate doctors and i'm always afraid to hear them tell me something i dont' want to hear.

You can call me sometime and i can talk about what i saw her going thru.

I am 27 and went and got checked because i was having abdominal pain. I did some research on the net and came to believe it was my appendix as my lower right abdomen hurt really bad. I went in and ran some blood samples and the doc came back and ask about family history with diabetis. We have none. Long story short.........I was drinking about 2 16 oz. Rockstar energy drinks a day, if not more. All the caffine and sugar overloaded my pancreas ( I think that is the part that deals with sugar) and my body was rejecting all the sugar and caffine and it was just building up. My blood sugar was at 198 and they diagnose Diabetis at 200. So i quit drinking them and everything went back to normal. Caffine interferes with your bodies ability to process sugar. So if you drink alot of coffee and soda or carbs and the list goes on it can cause problems. From what i know and read, and from experience, you can give yourself diabetis or atleast aid it along. This is all i know.

Go get it checked out, as I'm getting older I'm going to doctors more . I used to hate going to a doctor and didn't for years. In the past couple years I've gotten Colon ... upper & lower GI basically and have had other test. I figure life is better than death!!!!! and i sure want to be around and in good health. So many things can be easily treated if caught early.

Get yourself checked and take the wonder out of it and good luck

Jeff

Yeah, I am naturally sweet. I found out when I went to get a CDL physical.

Things I noticed, I was cosntantly thirsty and always peeing, and when I had to pee, I had to pee right then.

I also was constantly tired.

In my opinion, it is nothing to be scared of, as long as you make the efforts to get it under control. Lost weight, and watching your diet really helps.

My wife is diabetic and Scott hit the most common symptoms. Add to the list bruses that won't go away and every diabetic I have ever known drinks a LOT of soda. They think before they get checked that they just love soda. But diabetics are most comfortable with a consistant bloodsugar level, high or low as long as it doesn't flucuate much. Drinking soda all day is the easiest way to do that. Of course keeping your blood sugar high all the time makes the diabetes even worse.

My wife has been able to control hers with diet and exercise. It's hard at the start but once you settle into a routine it becomes pretty easy.

Patrick

Scott, I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic about 5 years ago. A friend of mine found out he was diabetic, so I was curious to see what my blood sugar was. I had my friend check my blood sugar and it was at 471. Whoa! Normal blood sugar is 80-100. I also noticed that I was having to pee alot. I pretty much keep it under control now with medication, but not as closely as I should. Being overweight, as I always have been, is the main contributing factor to being a diabetic. I also have high cholesterol, high blood pressure, which I take medication for. The doctor really lit into me telling me that I was a walking time bomb.

Scott, I was 27 when I had the systems of Diabetes Peeing, Sweating, Thirst. It runs in my family. I am not overweight at all and when I checked My blood sugar it was 642. The Doctor told me, that another week and I was in a Diabetic coma. I am now 31, I take one shot of insulin a day and some pills. First you must get checked, Second Allot can be controlled with diet and exercise. If you are a type 2 which means your not insulin dependent pills help. If you are a Type 1 there are varying decrees of how bad. The bottom line is, it doesn't reverse itself ounce you have it you have it. The only thing that happens is it gets worse in the fact that your pancreas stops producing insulin at all which means your on a shot before ever meal. So control if your body allows. Always remember that as long as you keep your blood sugar levels under control you can live a long happy life. If they are not well 10 15 yrs from now you will reap the consequences. If you go to the Doctor they will run a A1C test that test sugars in your body over a 3 month time and also a urine test for ketone's (sugar) in your urine. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me I have a pretty good Knowledge about this subject. I can't sit here and type it all. Adam @ (914) 879-7928 call later in the day or even better after 9:00 PM EST

Scott, I was 27 when I had the systems of Diabetes Peeing, Sweating, Thirst. It runs in my family. I am not overweight at all and when I checked My blood sugar it was 642. The Doctor told me, that another week and I was in a Diabetic coma. I am now 31, I take one shot of insulin a day and some pills. First you must get checked, Second Allot can be controlled with diet and exercise. If you are a type 2 which means your not insulin dependent pills help. If you are a Type 1 there are varying decrees of how bad. The bottom line is, it doesn't reverse itself ounce you have it you have it. The only thing that happens is it gets worse in the fact that your pancreas stops producing insulin at all which means your on a shot before ever meal. So control if your body allows. Always remember that as long as you keep your blood sugar levels under control you can live a long happy life. If they are not well 10 15 yrs from now you will reap the consequences. If you go to the Doctor they will run a A1C test that test sugars in your body over a 3 month time and also a urine test for ketone's (sugar) in your urine. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me I have a pretty good Knowledge about this subject. I can't sit here and type it all. Adam @ (914) 879-7928 call later in the day or even better after 9:00 PM EST

thats amazingly high .... how high can it get ????

Well i have seen people hit 1,000 but they are usually passed out. My level at 642 would have allot of people on the ground incapacitated. It varies with each person but at my level you are hospitalized for at least one to two days.

...so the definition of "diabetic" is having blood sugar level over 200?? ...And is it being said that once you are classified as a diabetic, it cannot be reversed?? Just great, I've gotta go to the doctor today. So what are the common symptoms of diabetes??

To test you for diabetes they typically take a urine sample from a physical. If they come back and say you are peeing maple syrup, that's bad.

After that they usually either take a quick blood test with a gluco meter. ***** our finger and have the magic gadgets whir. Pretty soon it will come back and spit out what your current blood sugar is. If it is high, and this all depends on the doctor, they send you in to get a a1c test done. This actually is a blood test that tells what your average blood sugar has been for the past three months. If it is over 130 they start to worry. They like to see it somewhere between 90 and 120. After that, the doc will decide what needs to be done. They really like it if you control it with diet and exercise. They will also usually tell you need to lose weight. You are far less susceptible to high blood sugar if your weight is near a normal range and under control.

The symptoms are similar to what is listed above. If you are constantly thirsty and are constantly peeing, you need to get checked. If you have mood swings,especially after not having eaten in a while, it is possible that you have a blood sugar problem. If your vision is screwy, it is a possibility that you have diabetes.

In later stages you can get neuropathy which means that your hands and feet start tingling and you start losing your sense of touch. This is bad enough, but additionally, it reduces blood flow to extremities...Yes, even that extremity. ;) This can lead to other problems.

If you get diagnosed, make sure that you get your weight down. It will make it a lot easier for you to deal with. I recommend the third world diet. Eat like an ethiopian and work like a mexican. 2000 calories and exercise. If you are faithful, the weight will drop off. If you suspect it, get it checked. That way you will either have the relief of knowing that you are ok, or you can launch into solving the problem.

One other note if you guys plan on testing your self don't get scared if you do it right after a meal, because your sugar will probably be over or close to 200. If you want to see Take a test after a meal than 2 to 3 hours later than take a fasting test 8 hrs later with no food. If everything is working properly you will be between 90 and 110 is the number now. Thats means your pancreas is creating enough insulin to regulate the sugars in your blood. If its 120 congrats no big deal.

I guess it's time to get checked.I am always thirsty,tired,pee frequently.I also have numbness in my hands and on occassion my feet.I have been having lots of problems with my heels lately.I have dry mouth often and several times a day I have a sugary taste in my mouth.

Diabetes contributed to my mothers death last year and my dad takes some kind of pill daily for his.I've lost 27 pounds in the last couple months(literally fell off without trying) but,could stand to lose 50+ more.

Scott, one of the major things that diabetes affects is the circulation in your extremeties (arms & legs). The circulatory problems lead to what is called neuropathy, & it is a pain (literally). I have it pretty bad. It feels like numbness, needles, tingling, pain all at the same time in my feet. I take a bunch of pills everyday for this. Some mornings, my feet hurt so bad I have to wait about an hour after I take my medicine before I can really get up & moving really well. I had the same symptoms you are having right now before I ever checked my blood glucose level. I'll tell you this, lay off the high sugar items (including beer & alcohol), high carb food items (bread, pasta or anything made with processed flour). The hardest for me was potato chips, oreos, & chocolate chip cookies. I also took a diabetic educatiion course at my local hospital that helped alot. I have lost about 50-60# since being diagnosed, just by watching my diet & being a pressure washer. I was at about 320# five years ago, now I am 260 - 270#. If my feet didn't hurt so much, I would probably be smaller.

I guess it's time to get checked.I am always thirsty,tired,pee frequently.I also have numbness in my hands and on occassion my feet.I have been having lots of problems with my heels lately.I have dry mouth often and several times a day I have a sugary taste in my mouth.

Diabetes contributed to my mothers death last year and my dad takes some kind of pill daily for his.I've lost 27 pounds in the last couple months(literally fell off without trying) but,could stand to lose 50+ more.

Scott, first of all, I'm sorry for the loss last year of your mother. I remember that time, and I'm not sure I ever passed condolences along.

Now, about being tested: It sounds to me like a good idea. Diabetes runs on both sides of my family, so I have always kept an eye on myself in this regard, more so because I was an OTR driver for so long. You can lose a CDL if you become dependant on insulin.

Diabetes wears your body out, by leaving large molecules unbroken (and therefore unusable) in your blood. This means your blood becomes thicker, and harder to pump. That raises blood pressure, and works the heart harder. It also makes life tough on your filtering organs (Liver, kidneys, spleen) and in the smallest blood vessels, clotting can become an issue.

This all can lead to strokes, ulcerations and necrosis of tissur, and blindness before death. Not a pretty picture, I have watched it take both of my grandfathers an inch at a time. I know you know what that is like for family and friends.

Control is pretty easy, and relatively painless these days, so get tested and get old.

We'd hate to see something happen to you, Scott.

Keepin' you on the prayer list...:lgangel: