Sign in to follow this  
clean kentucky

mineral spirits on asphalt

Question

Does anyone know what it takes to get mineral spirits out of blacktop. We were staining a deck today and I told an employee to go to the end of the drive to soak a few rags in mineral spirits. Well, he soaked the rags good and the asphalt at the end of her driveway too. It looks like a big oil spot. Lady is off her rocker. Says she won't pay for the deck until the spot goes away. I understand we made a mistake and I offered compensation and she didn't want to hear it, "no money until the spot is removed" I am going to try to get the spot off, I have tried my heated unit and it didn't budge. I don't think she even owns the property, it is on the road at the end of her drive (none on her driveway) in a neighborhood. I may have to take her to court to get paid, but I hope not. I was as nice to her as anyone could be, I think she is trying to get a freebie. Do some of you gus have suggestions, it sure would be appreciated. I do have pictures of before and after on the deck and there can be no complaints. I also have a signed contract.

Doug Baker

Baker's Pressure Washing

270-268-1694

29 answers to this question

It is basically an oil spill as mineral spirits contain (or have properties like) oil. You don't want to get into a pissing contest with a customer but ultimately she cannot withold your payment. I don't know if using a degreaser would help you or make the problem worse. Is it possible to coat the rest of the area to match? Silly as it sounds, it will make the problem disappear.

I think you might have to wait till the sun makes the mineral spirits evaporate then i'm not sure. I've never tried to remove spirits from asphalt but you could always try some Sodium Hydroxide?

Do not put a SH product down on the asphalt! Asphalt is not concrete. It contains high amounts of petroleum type product. SH will harm it. Contact a company that lays driveways for a living and ask their opinion.

Beth :cup: :groovy2:

thanks guys,

I won't be able to blend and she does not want it covered. Here is how she acted. She said, "I moved here less than a year ago and it was perfect. The deck looks great, but that spot in the road ruined it all". Then she started crying and shaking like she was having a seizure. I have never saw anyone act like that before. The spot is on the road is about 50 Yds. from her house and you can't tell unless someone shows you it's there.

Doug Baker

Baker's Pressure Washing

270-268-1694

::Cue circus music:: :juggle:

It's a driveway. Driveways get oil stains. I feel your pain, . Make sure you get tons of photos of the spot up close and from the street.

Doug. I like to try the most benign and work my way up. Try sprinkling powdered laundry detergent on the spot. Moisten a broom or brush and agitate. If that doesn't work I still say you could try a mild degreaser. Yes the asphalt is petroleum based but it is not going to dissolve or have surface color you will wash away. I wish you luck, sounds like you have a unique person on your hands.

Doug,

Bottom line, it's her new home and she wants it to be in the same condition it was before you arrived. Pardon the analogy, but she's still in the 'honeymoon' phase of home ownership. Personally, I would make it right. It was caused by your employee's actions. Make her a happy customer and she'll pay you and you might just find she becomes a great reference as well. Once it is fixed, go back out in person to apologize with a small plant in hand (whatever is in season there - petunia, chrysanthemum whatever) and let her see your sincerity. Just a suggestion.

Beth

p.s. what happens when you use mineral spirits on sealer on a deck? same thing is happening here. Driveway needs to be coated in that area.

Beth,

I belive in great customer cervice like you. I just don't know what to do. I don't believe the spot can be cleaned. She does not want it resurfaced because I offered that and she said no. I even offered compensation for the spot. It's not even in her drive guys, it's out in the public street. I am going to try a few things to clean it. Hopefully it works out. Beth, I belive I have lost this reference and I hate that, but I don't know how to please her. Bottom line: She wants the place back exactly how it was. I can't resurface it because the asphalt is old the new sealer would shine worse than the spot. I don't think it can be removed. What other options do I have?

Doug Baker

Baker's Pressure Washing

270-268-1694

Doug I feel your pain. There are some customers you can't please no matter what. Mineral Spirits is a solvent for removing oils well asphalt is petroleum based and degreasing it is not the answer, it will imho make it worse. I would try a asphalt sealer which will turn it black. I would try to explain that is the best you can do and it is better than before. I would imagine it is county or city owned and maintained I would call them and explain what happen and see what they suggest before doing anything. I would also explain that she owns the house but not the roads leading to her house and you realize your employee made a mistake but not on her property and you deserve to be paid for the wonderful job you did on her property.

Doug if it is not on her property, not part of her plat, then she has no claim on you. Find out if it is within her property line. From there you can build a case about getting paid. I think this is public information. (someone jump in if I am wrong, but when a contractor has to pull permits to build they get this at a local office, yes?)

Man...this is the job we all hate...and eventually we all get one like this. Hope it all works out. I'm sure you guys did a wonderful job!

Beth

What I have seen some asphalt guys do is torch out the stain. They get a torch attachment for a propane tank (Home depot or others) and heat the asphalt to burn off the excess the oils in the surface and prep it for sealing. The area they heat will darken a little and it will help to blend the coloring. You wont be able to have it match the old asphalt that will take time and weathering, but you can blend the stain a little and remove the excess surface oils. It may be worth a try?

Sounds like you have a heavily medicated ***** on your hands. I would have lied and said it was a town truck that parked there and leaked something. Honestly - when a pure accident, like one of your workers does something like that - and no less not even on the property - I mean ************* . I would have pulled out a photo of a veteran in a wheelchair and then started drilling into her ' Eh - is this why he lost his legs, so you could cry over spilt spirits??!?!' I've been through this before, where I tried everything in my power to make things right - and I still ended up losing the account, probably got nasty references. Basically I spilt spirits in my front walkway - and it made that area much darker - with time it will lighten out. But nothing soon, and nothing you can really do anything about. The Deck is seperate - it's totally unprofessional for her to not pay you for work rendered - does she have a problem with the deck? She is a total chiseler or a someone who doesn't appreciate the sacrifices many men and women have made to make this country what it is - if she did she would be much more reasonable and would also realize you are a total professional and this was an honest mistake, and if there any damages - your liability policy would cover it - but since your insurance agent would laugh this to Shanghai - I say get tough, and take this ***** to court and show her in a public forum for the whiny ******** she is. I am sick and tired of clients like that. This is totally unacceptable behaviour - and as much as I believe you trap more bees with honey than you do vinegar. I also believe it's better to make people envy you than pity you. And if you go without your money - then you will be pitied. Make a statement take that ********** to court and fight for your ***** honor and dignity. Are you the homeowners ******, whom they can *** ****** for money because of some stupid road stain - or are you a professional that deserves respect for all the hours you put into making a professional business work, employing people, paying taxes, equipment, etc?

-Dan

Damm Dan you sure are pretty tough on problem customers huh!

If she's being difficult just fix the problem and put a note in her file for future jobs.

If you are working at someones house/stqaining the deck and you spilled stain on their flagstone or pavestone is it not your responsibility to clean it up? Now you are working on the deck not the flagstone/pavestone so you would just leave the stain spots and walk away?

You have to have great customer service in our profession if you want any future buisness.Now maby not from that particular customer but you don't want your company's name to be dragged around the mud that you do shotty work!

Mineral spirits are petroleum based thus subject to degreasers. But seriously, try the brushing in of laundry detergent (something formulated for removing grease from clothes) You could also try OxyClean.

This lady needs to pay you. Begin all of your documentation. When you talk to her, conversation content etc. Hand her your final bill and subtract $50. Let her know along with the invoice that you are going above and beyond by offering her the discount, that you have offerred solutions and she will accept none of them. If she refuses to pay, walk away. From there drive to the local courthouse and learn what form you have to fill out to file a lien against her property. Send her the invoice again, this time with a registered letter stating your intent to file a lien. Warn her that you will also take her to civil court and she will be responsible for all court costs and legal fees. In two weeks follow up with a letter from your attorney. These types of people are ridiculous. She will lose very quickly in court. The courts are very hard on people whom do not pay their contractors unless they can prove the contractor was grossly negligent and made no attempt for amends.

This lady will never be a reference. Who is she going to refer anyway? Her neighbors probably think she is a head case.

Sounds like you have a heavily medicated ***** on your hands. I would have lied and said it was a town truck that parked there and leaked something. Honestly - when a pure accident, like one of your workers does something like that - and no less not even on the property - I mean ************* . I would have pulled out a photo of a veteran in a wheelchair and then started drilling into her ' Eh - is this why he lost his legs, so you could cry over spilt spirits??!?!' I've been through this before, where I tried everything in my power to make things right - and I still ended up losing the account, probably got nasty references. Basically I spilt spirits in my front walkway - and it made that area much darker - with time it will lighten out. But nothing soon, and nothing you can really do anything about. The Deck is seperate - it's totally unprofessional for her to not pay you for work rendered - does she have a problem with the deck? She is a total chiseler or a someone who doesn't appreciate the sacrifices many men and women have made to make this country what it is - if she did she would be much more reasonable and would also realize you are a total professional and this was an honest mistake, and if there any damages - your liability policy would cover it - but since your insurance agent would laugh this to Shanghai - I say get tough, and take this ***** to court and show her in a public forum for the whiny ******** she is. I am sick and tired of clients like that. This is totally unacceptable behaviour - and as much as I believe you trap more bees with honey than you do vinegar. I also believe it's better to make people envy you than pity you. And if you go without your money - then you will be pitied. Make a statement take that ********** to court and fight for your ***** honor and dignity. Are you the homeowners ******, whom they can *** ****** for money because of some stupid road stain - or are you a professional that deserves respect for all the hours you put into making a professional business work, employing people, paying taxes, equipment, etc?

-Dan

WOW I thought I cussed a lot. LOL

If that happens make a poultice, Something that will absorb it out like dirt , sand, dry stuff or do the whole drive way in spirits. Do it before they know??? rubbing dirt works pretty good but must be done right away.

ben there done that- no compaints thoe

1st if its in the street not her property, she has no claim & should pay. Try liquid DAWN, it cuts grease and rinse and reapply. I'd put a sealcoat on it and it will blend over time. If its not her prooperty, I'd have to start to get tough with her and insist on your money she may do stuff like this to anyone one who does work for her. She starts to cry & shake, it might be a scam, but even if it isnt she should pay after you try a couple things on the street stain

JL

before you do anything, try baking soda. The wife used it on some oil stains on my clothes, and some stains on our coach. It pulled it right out. I'm not sure if it will work on asphalt.

and when someone is having a seizure, call 911! LOL

You could try 'Shout' or other Laundry Stain remover. Dollar General makes a good one for 1.50. Does a great job removing grease and oil from clothes.

Have heard of some people using WD-40 to re-activate the oil and help bring it to the surface, then use something like Dawn or Shout to emulsify and rinse away.

Test in small area first of course.

They say they will pay as long as I make a good effort to try and get the spot up. i don't have any money so I'm not counting on it yet. Actually, I do have the money for stain and deposit. Good thing I had them pay for stain and 25% labor up front. The balance is still almost 1000.00 though. I am going to try a few things and if they stil don't pay than I will have no choice, but to pursue in court. I will keep you guys posted.

Doug Bker

Baker's Pressure Washing

270-268-1694