Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

How would you handle this?

Question

I have a bunch of entry decks for a condo association I am restoring. I'm sealing one tommorrow. Some of these unit have alternate entryways but the majority like tommorrow's are the only way in and out of about 10 units.

The problem is, how am I going to seal these things without people ruining the finish? The only way I can foresee is doing them half and half but that presents a problem of having a nice visible dry line down the middle of the floor. Any ideas?

post-581-137772161402_thumb.jpg

25 answers to this question

Hi Ken I think that I would ask the homeowner when they are going to leave for work. It should be dry enough for them to tip-toe across when they get home. If you could find a few that worked on 2nd shift that would be nice, because you could stain the first shift decks in the morning and the second shift in the afternoon. Another idea is stain in the morning and clean in the afternoon. Just depends on when everyones goes to work.

Roger

One thing I should have added. Some of the people that live in this complex are OLD. And when I say old think shuffling feet and gripping the rails for dear life. I tell people to stay off their deck for 24 hours. I am meeting with the president pror to sealing this one. I dropped the ball on this one. I may have to make him sign a waiver. I'm just glad there are two sets of steps. I will have to do half and half. This may be a job for Ready Seal.

half and half em! I find it odd though that they all dont have alternate exits as I thought many states had that as part of the fire code. Whatever happens I am sure you will do a great job!

For the record: I know nothing about 'wood work'!

Therefore I don't know how long it takes for the stain to dry nor how long it takes you to stain.

What would happen if you stained, let's say later in the evening, like around 7, 8 or 9pm? If they're so old they won't be leaving the house at that time. You could do it using some flood lights and this would give the stain until morning to dry. Hand rails and the rest could be done during the day.

Besides, you said that only a couple are build such that they have only one entry/exit point.

(If all else fails tell them that you are spraying with acid based stain. If they leave the house the acid in the air is going to cling to their skin and eat their flesh to the bone. Give them some duck tape for the windows.

For added effect you could suit up in a HAZMAT suit with helmet and respirators :lildevil: )

Russ,

It looks as if a half and half staining might be your only realistic option. Building temporary bridges and walkways probably have more serious liabilty implications. Drawing up the waiver visa vi dry stain line etc sounds good.

What if you stained every other board on the first day and ask them to step on the unfinished boards. The next day, when the first batch has dried, go back and do the unfinished boards. These look like 2x6's.....should be wide enough to side-step across. As for the stairs, do one side one day and the other side the other day to give them an avenue in either case.

This should be less noticeable than a dry line down the center.

President turned out to be a super guy.. a chemist so of course I had to go into chem talk with him, but it was nice not having to break things down and use words like sodium metasilicate without a blank stare. He actually gave me some very cool information about hydrogen and sodium. My wheels are truning, anyway..back to topic.

I did half. Not one to miss a marketing opportunity I printed some "wet paint" signs with my name and logo on them. You won't confuse them with a Keith Bruce design but they did the trick. This should have taken me two hours tops including tinting Tux, finding power etc. Took me three because I must have been stopped at least 12 times and asked to give 7 estimates for various homeowners that drove by. I should have just gathered them all up and did them at once but i like to capture an audience while I have it.

Ryan, they would need to have an ambulance in the parking lot on call. I met just about every homeonwer today and they were all over 70. Very friendly.. though, I got asked to do everything from paint a door to change a lightbulb lol.

post-581-137772161414_thumb.jpg

post-581-137772161419_thumb.jpg

President turned out to be a super guy.. a chemist so of course I had to go into chem talk with him, but it was nice not having to break things down and use words like sodium metasilicate without a blank stare. He actually gave me some very cool information about hydrogen and sodium. My wheels are truning, anyway..back to topic.

I did half. Not one to miss a marketing opportunity I printed some "wet paint" signs with my name and logo on them. You won't confuse them with a Keith Bruce design but they did the trick. This should have taken me two hours tops including tinting Tux, finding power etc. Took me three because I must have been stopped at least 12 times and asked to give 7 estimates for various homeowners that drove by. I should have just gathered them all up and did them at once but i like to capture an audience while I have it.

Ryan, they would need to have an ambulance in the parking lot on call. I met just about every homeonwer today and they were all over 70. Very friendly.. though, I got asked to do everything from paint a door to change a lightbulb lol.

Ken,

Great idea with the signs. You don't miss a marketing opportunity!

Mike