Sign in to follow this  
Tom DeFrancesco

Am I using the surface cleaner the right way ?

Question

I finally bought a surface cleaner and used it for the first time today with a cw 4000/4gpm pw on concrete. Although it worked great I found I had to rinse with a fan tip because it kept spreading the residual dirt to either side of the surface cleaner and I could not just leave it. Is this normal ???

30 answers to this question

Tom,

Here's another tip to shorten your learning curve...Exposed aggregate drives take almost as long to rinse as they do to wash. You will need to actor that into your estimates of price and time.

Its A Good Idea Keep The Area Your Cleaninhg Wet, So When You Rinse The Residue Does Not "stick"..i Do An Area At A Time Then Go Back And Rinse..its Also Helps To "tip" The Surface Cleaner Every Once In A While To Create More H20 So It Stays Wetter Longer,,no Pun Intended. I Assume You Have A Ball Valve. A Must When Using A Surface Cleaner

Quick question, If you have a 4000psi/5.5 gpm pressure washer which calls for a 5.5 nozzle orifice, would you use two 2.5 nozzzles or two 3.0 nozzles for your surface cleaner? I know the 3.0 tips would cut my pressure to 3500, but I was concerned with what the 2.5 tips do, since they are a little undersized for my machine.

OK thank you Scott. I will chalk this up to experience. So much to learn in this business. Love this message board but I always feel like an idiot when I see everyone else is so experienced.

Tom,

If you need Help or questions answered, Call me. I'm "THE KING" of Orange County Powerwashing (or at least that's what my friends say! LOL). I'm right over here in Goshen. And I've been doing this stuff for 4 years. I'm actually going to buy a box truck today (I hope) in Warwick

Quick question, If you have a 4000psi/5.5 gpm pressure washer which calls for a 5.5 nozzle orifice, would you use two 2.5 nozzzles or two 3.0 nozzles for your surface cleaner? I know the 3.0 tips would cut my pressure to 3500, but I was concerned with what the 2.5 tips do, since they are a little undersized for my machine.

Go with the 3.0 tips. Sacrifice the psi for more flow. Also the 2.5 tips probably aren't too good on your unloader.

Hello this is very helpfull website i beeen coming here to get more knowledge of the power washing trade from time to time...thank you to all of ya'll who help everyone in here with question and answer as well as to how do the right job,the right way....the surface cleaner will cut your job in half i used a 30 Inch one with a helper rinsing behind me! "fast & the furious"

Thank you all VERY much. You guys/gals are very helpful and knowledgable. I am so addicted to this board. To give you guys a little backround on why I am so knieve is because I originally started out as a mobile car wash/detailing and fleet washing company. I was/am using a 2800/3gpm machine just to get the water from my tank to the vehicle when a customer of mine asked me to wash his deck. I gave it a shot and it actually came out great. Two weeks later another customer asked me to wash the lower half of her house which was vinyl siding. That also came out good. I decided i liked this better and dropped the detailing biz and only kept the fleet washing, boat detailing and now powerwashing.

Now you will understand my next statement; A ball valve on what when using a surface cleaner ?

Tom,

If you need Help or questions answered, Call me. I'm "THE KING" of Orange County Powerwashing (or at least that's what my friends say! LOL). I'm right over here in Goshen. And I've been doing this stuff for 4 years. I'm actually going to buy a box truck today (I hope) in Warwick

Thanks James. I sure would not mind tagging along with you sometimes. 100% of my business is in the city and Nassau. Just moved up here and want to expand a little but definately do not want to step on any toes of a potential friend and collegue.

Tom,

Bruno! I thought you were getting out? I remember you were selling, then you weren't, then you were. You just can't get away from this stuff, can you?

Thank you all VERY much. You guys/gals are very helpful and knowledgable. I am so addicted to this board. To give you guys a little backround on why I am so knieve is because I originally started out as a mobile car wash/detailing and fleet washing company. I was/am using a 2800/3gpm machine just to get the water from my tank to the vehicle when a customer of mine asked me to wash his deck. I gave it a shot and it actually came out great. Two weeks later another customer asked me to wash the lower half of her house which was vinyl siding. That also came out good. I decided i liked this better and dropped the detailing biz and only kept the fleet washing, boat detailing and now powerwashing.

Now you will understand my next statement; A ball valve on what when using a surface cleaner ?

Yep, a ball valve allows you to shut off the flow of water so you can switch from surface cleaner to the wand for rinsing and detailing. The one I use is great, Bob at www.pressuretek.com sells them.

Ok...yes I know what your talking about....I need to get one....thanks Mike. I have to laugh though, because I would shut the machine, start the machine, shut the machine start the machine

Yep, been there done that. I left my ball valve on my other trailer one night when I had to do a restaurant strip...Big LONG open air plaza where people eat outside, and 4 restaurants in a strip mall type setting. I got SO sick of walking back and forth to shut down the machine, walk back, switch to the wand, walk back, fire the machine up, and walk back to rinse.

A watchout is the difference in concrete psi strength between commercial (at 4000psi) and residential (at about 2000psi). High pressure can remove the cream (top) of the concrete, exposing more aggregate (damaging the surface).

I increased the angle to 45 degrees and had to reduce the nozzle orifice to produce under 1000psi in order to keep from causing damage. It seemed as though every residential driveway/walkway was different (some would hold up under 1500 psi water pressure, while others would not).

For residential we also throw down some pool shock diluted with water to help in cleaning algea, mold and mildew as well as to brighten the concrete.

You can also brighten with oxalic acid but it will not kill mold, mildew or algea.

Best wishes on your new venture!

Mike,

I hope you've since invested in another ball valve and a spare. They pay for themselves in no time.

A couple of tips for the ball valve use:

- Use stainless disconnects with it - they last longer.

- After shutting off the valve, press the gun trigger on wand or surface cleaner to take pressure off the disconnect (makes it easier to disengage).

Mike,

I hope you've since invested in another ball valve and a spare. They pay for themselves in no time.

A couple of tips for the ball valve use:

- Use stainless disconnects with it - they last longer.

- After shutting off the valve, press the gun trigger on wand or surface cleaner to take pressure off the disconnect (makes it easier to disengage).

Yep, have a spare on the trailer now. This was one of the first times I used the new trailer, and hadn't fully prepared for everything.

As far as concrete, I've never had a problem with residential, and I use 3000psi or so. Of course, the stuff I'm cleaning is anywhere from 2-3 year old up to 30 and 40 years old.

A watchout is the difference in concrete psi strength between commercial (at 4000psi) and residential (at about 2000psi). High pressure can remove the cream (top) of the concrete, exposing more aggregate (damaging the surface).

I increased the angle to 45 degrees and had to reduce the nozzle orifice to produce under 1000psi in order to keep from causing damage. It seemed as though every residential driveway/walkway was different (some would hold up under 1500 psi water pressure, while others would not).

For residential we also throw down some pool shock diluted with water to help in cleaning algea, mold and mildew as well as to brighten the concrete.

You can also brighten with oxalic acid but it will not kill mold, mildew or algea.

Best wishes on your new venture!

I've read a lot of your posts and respect your knowledge on a variety of subjects but I totally disagree with your take on residential concrete and safe psi. I use 3000 psi regularly. Much less and the surface would not be clean and I do pre-treat with chemicals in most cases. On occasion there are sensitive pours but I can usually spot those and clean accordingly (lower psi).

:stupid: got to learn so i will risk a dumb question, what is a water broom used to clean (type of surface)?

A water broom is a poor man's surface cleaner (and a lousy one at that). It CAN , with the right tips, be used to rinse a driveway or a roof, but not sure why you'd want to.