Sign in to follow this  
Tom DeFrancesco

Suggestions on which HOT PW to purchase

Question

43 answers to this question

Huh? Once you set the flow type unloader, at whatever your machine is rated for, that's where it stays (or should stay). The only way it is bypassing back to the tank is if the pressure goes above the setting level. The water is either in or out of bypass, but not both (unless you're having unloader problems).

Are you sure you're not thinking of a pressure type unloader? Those you can adjust pressure (and flow).

With a flow unloader you can put a small nozzle (say #5 if it calls for a #6) in it and set your pressure. It will bypass extra water back to the tank (if plumbed that way), then when you put your regular tip back in you will still have the same pressure but will have full flow out of the gun. That is how Hydrotek sets their machines up for steam, the steam nozzle is usually one full size smaller than what the machine calls for so there is less flow through the burner and the water gets hotter. If your flow unloader is adjusted right it calls for approximately 5% of the flow to be in bypass anyway. If you adjust the knob on a pressure unloader you are turning down the flow out of the gun and the pressure, but if you put a smaller tip in the pressure will go right back up and some of the flow will still be bypassing. If you have a flow unloader and you set the pressure at 2000 psi (with a smaller tip) then whatever tip you put in it, it will not go above 2000 psi

Whoa, $$$. Call Don Phelps "The Roof Guru"? I bought my 20hp 3500psi 5.6gpm with stainless steel heater for alot less than that.

ISYHTRAH

That is a little high for that size pw, but they are prob. a little flexible in that price. I sell my machines with free labor for the life of the machine as long as they are a soap customer they only pay for parts after the warranty is gone. Now someone may be able to get a little (I am not much higher than what can be ordered from out of state) better price ordering from someone off somewhere else, but I am going to charge $55/ hour labor to fix it when it tears up. I can sell cheaper if I sell it somewhere 2 or 3 states away because I will not be repairing it more than likely, and I can have it drop shipped and never touch it.

Sometimes, especially when you are new; it is good to get a good relationship with you local dealer (unless he is just outrageous on price--some are). He can help you out in a pinch. You do have to watch some dealers, some are like used car salesmen they just want the sell and will tell you anything. I built my pw business on doing a good job, have a resonable price, and being honest. I have a very good rep. around my area with Cooper Pressure Wash and I am trying to build Big Orange Supply on the same principles ( We just bought the bus. from the previous owner in March '06).

Give me a call Tom, if you don't have a trailer already Hydrotek has a sale on their trailer rigs right now. Check out the "just add water" special on their website -- http://www.hydroteksystems.com/natlspecial/justaddwater.htm

I can also quote you a price on a Pressure Pro unit or Karcher unit.

p.s. you dealer prob. had to pay shipping on the unit which you will have to figure in the price if you find one somewhere else.

I am not at the office but I think the Hydrotek sale is free shipping also, but don't hold me to that. The sale price is good until Nov. 30, 2006

Whoa, $$$. Call Don Phelps "The Roof Guru"? I bought my 20hp 3500psi 5.6gpm with stainless steel heater for alot less than that.

ISYHTRAH

Thanks for the good words, Wayne!

Tom,

As Wayne said, he purchased a 12 volt 5.6 gpm hotwater skid from us in December. Mike Williamson also got his 8 gpm 120 volt hotwater skid from us. There's also another board member here who is currently setting up his new rig with a 5.6 gpm hotwater skid from us. I'll let him make his own annoucement about his new business whenever he's ready. The point being that our prices are extremely competitive!

If I can be of service, feel free to give me a call.

Don

I paid less than that for an 8gpm belt driven 3500/8gpm skid with a General pump, sched. 80 coil, 24hp Honda and a 120v 2000 watt generator. Adjustable water up to 210 I beleive, nice machine. Very happy with it.

Yes, I forgot to mention that I got it from Don Phelps! My apologies, Don!!!

I will definately be calling both of you. My next problem is that I may have to get a new bigger truck. I really do not and actually cannot have a trailer for two reasons. 1- To much exposure for being in the city. 2-Where I park my truck/trucks is a semi public garage. I am trying to see if I can fit the machine I want along with all my other stuff including surface cleaners in my E350 Ext van.

I will definately be calling both of you. My next problem is that I may have to get a new bigger truck. I really do not and actually cannot have a trailer for two reasons. 1- To much exposure for being in the city. 2-Where I park my truck/trucks is a semi public garage. I am trying to see if I can fit the machine I want along with all my other stuff including surface cleaners in my E350 Ext van.

The nice thing about the Pressure Pros units that Don sells is that they are taller and narrower than many hot water machines...so they take up a little less floor space.

That is a little high for that size pw, but they are prob. a little flexible in that price. I sell my machines with free labor for the life of the machine as long as they are a soap customer they only pay for parts after the warranty is gone.

Thats the best deal Ive heard of. Wish I was close.

my local dealer is very reasonable on price for repairs. only he's 40 miles away. what I found is that the things that go bad arent covered under warranty anyway. The good relationship is very necessary. but you have to learn to make repairs yourself. He showed me how to tell what part is going bad when burner stops, the rest you get from experience.

What ever skid you get, make sure the unloader you get will work with a tank if you have one, and have a flow switch installed instead of a pressure switch.

Funny you should mention about flow. I was using my 4000/4gpm direct drive with my tank and found I was not getting enough water to the PW. I had to hook up to the cutomers spicket and it worked great. Does'nt belt driven machines pull the water in ???

Belt drives pull water better but a direct drive will if the hose is as short, straight, and large as possible. 3/4" poly braid tubing will work well for 4 gpm. You want as short and straight a distance as possible between the tank and the pump. If you've got the aluminum inlet strainer that normally comes on them, trash it and get a brass "Y" strainer. They have a straight run through with a screen sitting diagonally in the stream. Easy to clean, too.

Pressure Pros a good machine and the best priced. I have a 5.6 hot skidd and will be going to Florida next week picking up a new trailer rig with a 8GPM hot and 5.6 cold, I would of liked to get the 2nd 5.6 hot, just couldnt afford it now and with 2 hot machines I should be able to handle what ever come my way and now with three machines 5.6 or over we should fly through our condo work. I can always put a hot box on it later when I need it

You just cat beat Pressure Pro money wise

Choosing the gpm of a unit has got to be akin to choosing engine size of a vehicle. Difference being that a 5 gpm machine would be min. for any decent size flat work so it be like yer min. 4 banger car engine. When a 4 banger is running good it goes up hills fine and can pass people but throw in the slightest wear, bad tuning, or more weight and ya will be struggling with it going slow and wanting more power. The 5gpm washer can do just about everything but does it slower especially when you put on more weight and have some wear..lol.....Go with a 6 or an 8 banger :) -Get at least a 6 gpm @3500 to not feel like me...When using a wand I constantly wonder how the heck these other guys can do a whole strip mall in the time it takes me to do one store front. I can actually see them getting good results with wider spray pattern farther away from surface. It's like they are just walking and flushing and I am standing and slowly brushing every sq. inch...

Choosing the gpm of a unit has got to be akin to choosing engine size of a vehicle. Difference being that a 5 gpm machine would be min. for any decent size flat work so it be like yer min. 4 banger car engine. When a 4 banger is running good it goes up hills fine and can pass people but throw in the slightest wear, bad tuning, or more weight and ya will be struggling with it going slow and wanting more power. The 5gpm washer can do just about everything but does it slower especially when you put on more weight and have some wear..lol.....Go with a 6 or an 8 banger :) -Get at least a 6 gpm @3500 to not feel like me...When using a wand I constantly wonder how the heck these other guys can do a whole strip mall in the time it takes me to do one store front. I can actually see them getting good results with wider spray pattern farther away from surface. It's like they are just walking and flushing and I am standing and slowly brushing every sq. inch...

Yup thats what I do when I need to. I have an 11gpm 3500psi hot water skid and it cleans fast as heck when it comes to commercial flat work. Gum just flies off and flies away when its hit with the 15 degree tip. Its so fast and sudden. Also the rinsing is bang bang bang..done...I wish I had an even higher gpm machine like maybe 15gpm..and what a work out the arms get all the while your making alot more an hour:)

Thats 6700 souns a bit steap. I have a 24hp, becket burner,5.6 gpm general pump, 24 hp honda, hour meter adjustable thermostat, 8 gallon gas and diesel, easy drain plugs for fluids and I paid $1000 less with tax and shipping.

Thats 6700 souns a bit steap. I have a 24hp, becket burner,5.6 gpm general pump, 24 hp honda, hour meter adjustable thermostat, 8 gallon gas and diesel, easy drain plugs for fluids and I paid $1000 less with tax and shipping.

Where'd you find a deal like that??

Hydrotek is a great Powerwasher. Good choice. Did you try giving Tom Vogel from http://www.acrproducts.com/ a call. His prices are very competitive and he is great with servicing what he sells. Also Expect Tom to possibly hosting another Roundtable in fall. Last year there had to be over 50 people at his shop talking...shop.

No John, I only remember you recommending Ind Equip in Kings Park. Went to see him but he was not there. Called me later that day. Nice guy. Mi-T-M is a nice machine for the money but the hydrotec is more compact and conducive to the amount of space I have to work with in my truck. Nothing is in stone. i will check out acr now. Thanks again John.

Looks like i am going with a Hydro-Tek 3500/5.7gpm w/21hp Vanguard/thermo/12v w/250' of hose, 100' 3/4 garden hose with matching reels for about $6300

Very good choice, I know you will be happy with the Hydrotek.