Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

ShopVac with pump out capability

Hello Everyone, I am not sure if this goes into this area or not. I am looking for a ShopVac or similar brand that has the pump out capability. My Pressure Washer machine is 5.6gpm and 3000 psi. I am looking for something that I can leave on the low spots on big concrete areas to vacuum up the excess water. I did an 18,000sq. ft. parking lot yesterday and the low spot was a pain. The water would collect in an area that would continuously get bigger until I would stop cleaning and pump it out. I would like to have something vacuuming up the excess water and be able to pump it out when needed so I can continue pressure cleaning. I have looked but had no success finding one. If anyone knows of Brands and Model numbers Please let me know. Thanks.

If it is just for areas where water puddles, then why not use a sump pump with auto on and the ground sucking feature, such as a Simer. I use the Geyser on many jobs and it kicks butt. Next one I get will be the smart geyser, so that I do not have to worry about it running dry.

http://www.simerpump.com/pdf/pg_2_2004.pdf

I have a vacuboom that I use for recollectiong when I cannot use the inserts I make. I have had it for about 6-7 years now and it works well. The only problem you may have with it is foaming from your soaps. If this happens you just spread some crystal defoamer by the pickup area and it runs ok. If you get one make the investment in the dual vac or it will have difficulty keeping up with the water.

I got one of the wet-vacs that you are talking about at Home Depot. I think it was about $145 or so....you attach it to a water hose and it pumps it out..pretty cool. I used it for an inside job and it worked beautifully.

Thanks for the info. I had a sump pump that I used last time on this parking lot and it ran dry and I spent a lot of time using floor squeegees moving water about 100' on an up hill slope. Not Fun. I want something that will not burn up if run dry but the water level only gets to about 1" to 1 1/2" but the area starts to fill and quickly you have a 20' x 20' area with dirty water that you do not want to dry because you will have to return and re-wash the area and fight the up-hill battle again. I was thinking about the shopvac with the auto-pumpout so I can just rinse towards the suction of the pump and not worry about the dirty water drying in the hot sun. This way I can do my final rinse and then not have to go back at all just to move the shopvac to another location. I will look into the sump pump with the float but was wondering how low you can set the float? If anyone has one of these shopvac's that will pump out Please tell me what you like/dislike about them and any advice or experience you have had with them. Thanks again.

The Smart Geyser from Simer does not have a standard mechanical float, it is an electonic one that detects water and comes on when needed. Their is no worry of run dry, as it doesn't run without water. It picks up down to 3/16" of an inch.

Follow the link in my first post and read the product sheet for more info.

I have a little giant sump with a float.. anyone ever stick one into the bottom of a small drum and drill a few dozen holes around the bottom rim and bottom?. Seems to me the holes would act like debri filters. Place it in the v of a simple dam with a hand dolly after capping the drain and run the outline to either the sewer or onto land? Maybe sticking a tiny enclosed wetvac with wand into the top section with a manual drain **** going to sump inlet would work good for final clean up? Just thinking how to get every last drop when there hardly is any drops even.

I would recommend what Alan is showing for not running dry and hence burning up.

Shop Vacs with pump out features are a waste of money.

The shop Vac in most cases will have to stop sucking and then you will have to push the switch to get it to pump, and then again to turn vac back on. If you are good enough to figure out how to wire it so you can have both, you will still have the problem of the vac pulling in more than the pump can put out. This is the reason you can't have both as a safety feature on these vacs. Now buy what Alan has offered and has tested many over the years as I have. Also buy a regular shop vac and stick the same pump in pool leaf bag and drop it in the vac and then you will have your pumpout and vac at the same time without the pump getting clogged. Or take the filter bag and affix it to the inlet inside the vac to collect the debris before it reaches the pump and then when done just lift out bag and reuse after you empty it. The disharge for the pump should be drilled into the side and not the top. It makes it easier to remove the top. Also you will want to seal the opening of any gaps to prevent vacuum loss. Just some tricks over the years from a few pro's. Learn from our exploration or waste some good money.

I have a Shop vac with the pump out feature. I only need it for the occasional resi driveway so it works ok for my needs. Also my machine only puts out 4GPM. I got mine at Lowe's for $99.

Problems that I noted. Manual states that the machine will automatically begin pumping once water level reaches 4". Mine has yet to do this. I setup the machine and it begins to vacuum water. Once the tank is full (16 gallons) the shop vac automatically cuts off. It's easy to tell once the shop vac has shutoff because your water begins to puddle at the pick up point. You then have to go to the shop vac, pull the hose out of the water, and hold the on button for about 10 seconds and it will begin pumping out. Once it starts pumping you can put the hose back into the water. It will pickup and pump out at the same time. At this point you can go back to cleaning for awhile while the vacuum collects water and pumps water at the same time.

If the water level reaches 4" or below then it quits pumping but continues to vacuum. It is supposed to automatically begin pumping again but mine hasn't yet.

Also, manuals states that wet pickup volume is greater than the discharge volume so I'm guessing that at 5+ GPM's you will fill the vac quick and cause it to shut off.

For an occasional solution it's not bad for the money. I wouldn't want to depend on this for compliance on a large job.

Mike

Home Depot sells one of the automatic utility pumps. It is made by Flotec and is around $130.00. It claims to begin pumping if at least 1" of water is present and then pump down to 1/4".

Mike

hi there

could you guys go a little further in this ?

I'd like to see a picture or sketch because I'm a little confused with all the ideas, leaf bag, pump inside shopvac ....

:think:

thanks in advance

I have 2 vacuums with pump out and they both work unbelievably well.

One is a duel head NIKRO vacuum that we installed a sump pump in with auto pump out and the other is the one that is sold with vacuboom system.

I had to modify the filter system a little, other than that, I have had no problems.

I put a sump pump in the NIKRO that that will pump out solids to either 1/2 or 3/4 inch (cant remember) in diameter. With bulkhead fitting, electrical grommet, antireflux valve and plumbing - whole thing was under 200.00

what are you guys using the pump\vaccuums for

This year when we had the really bad floods, we did interior property cleaning and cellar cleaning. We also purchased two steele eagle vacuum surface cleaners. now we are using the equipment to clean business / shop floors. We are doing the inside of an Audi / VW Dealership in three weeks... Big $$$$

I have 2 vacuums with pump out and they both work unbelievably well.

One is a duel head NIKRO vacuum that we installed a sump pump in with auto pump out and the other is the one that is sold with vacuboom system.

I had to modify the filter system a little, other than that, I have had no problems.

I put a sump pump in the NIKRO that that will pump out solids to either 1/2 or 3/4 inch (cant remember) in diameter. With bulkhead fitting, electrical grommet, antireflux valve and plumbing - whole thing was under 200.00

Can you get me a closeup pic of them parts?

It is time for me to finally get to making my recovery unit. So far I have the little giant sump, an autoscrubber (floors) I been parting out, and a portable carpet steam cleaner that I harvested a Flowjet from. Plan to take the 110 vac,hosing, wand,and electrical switches from the steam cleaner and use them on the autoscrubber that was 24 volt battery oppperated (two 12 volt deep cycles). Way I imagine it working is I wheel it over to an area and drop it's sqweegy down and let the vac run constant and the sump pump out whenever it wants to. Can also just run it around on small jobs or problem areas that don't drain if need be although the electric cord and pump out hose would be subversive...

Is this method backwards to how some you others are doing recovery?. Are someof you running long lengths of suction hose with vacs staying on your rigs or do you always want to bring the equipment to the water? Truck mount steam cleaner would be the ultimate onboard recovery rig,... lol ..(can you say overkill)

Is this method backwards to how some you others are doing recovery?. Are some of you running long lengths of suction hose with vacs staying on your rigs or do you always want to bring the equipment to the water? Truck mount steam cleaner would be the ultimate onboard recovery rig,... lol ..(can you say overkill)

Why have a 24 volt autoscrubber with a 110 volt sump pump? T+Yes it is very backwards to me. Why not just putr the sump in the puddle that you are going to drop the squeege into?

I run a Sutorbilt blower like many of the truckmounts you speak of. I run pressure, supply and vacuum hose off the trailer, and all else stays put.

Can you get me a closeup pic of them parts?

It is time for me to finally get to making my recovery unit. So far I have the little giant sump, an autoscrubber (floors) I been parting out, and a portable carpet steam cleaner that I harvested a Flowjet from. Plan to take the 110 vac,hosing, wand,and electrical switches from the steam cleaner and use them on the autoscrubber that was 24 volt battery oppperated (two 12 volt deep cycles). Way I imagine it working is I wheel it over to an area and drop it's sqweegy down and let the vac run constant and the sump pump out whenever it wants to. Can also just run it around on small jobs or problem areas that don't drain if need be although the electric cord and pump out hose would be subversive...

Is this method backwards to how some you others are doing recovery?. Are someof you running long lengths of suction hose with vacs staying on your rigs or do you always want to bring the equipment to the water? Truck mount steam cleaner would be the ultimate onboard recovery rig,... lol ..(can you say overkill)

I will try to get these pictures for you.

Older thread but,...as the wheel turns.

Here is what I did with vacuum pickup and pumpout.

The main objective (besides to have a cheap working system) was to keep the amps draw as low as possible to be powered by the pressure washer generator.