Sign in to follow this  
SQUEEKY

New Guy That Has Done His Homework Needs Your Advice

hello to all

been lurking on this board and others for roughly 2 months now and have learned a lott.thanks to all for your professional generosity!

first i will start with training. i know that PWNA would be the first choice but can not afford it at this time so...

http://www.honest-work.net/index.htm there's this @ $50.00

and then we have this

http://www.deckseal.com/ @$100.00

looks like this one is geared towards decks.

which i plan on doing as well as house washing,gutter cleaning,roofs ,driveways etc.

any info on these programs?

next there's the equipment.. the only place nearby me that could service my PW is northern tools. here is the model that is in my price range is it enough??

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200241424_200241424

any opinions or info about northern tools will be appreciated..

i will be purchasing an X-JET tho i have seen debates over the x jet and down streaming but i am not sure what down streaming means?? i loved f&^@ing with greenhorns on the job so mess with me all you want>> karma and all...

finally the notes i have accumulated mostly from forums and other places as well anything else or inconsistencies in notes would be appreciated.

power washing notes

1)

At the same time that you are trying to compensate for the flexing from the spray you will be fighting side to side. End result will look blotchy. I replaced my glass wand with a 24ft aluminum wand made by extendawand. This wand is ideal for the field by design. It extends with spring loaded lock pin that adjust quickly and stay in place vs a screw type. It is light weight and side to side wabble is minimal. It is also built using universal parts. If something breaks you don't have to wait on an order, you can get it from most distrubuters.

2)

Citracleen (RPC brand) rocks - we use it regularly.

3)

sodium hypochlorite How are you applying your housewash mix? I downstream, and I use 10.5%. If I need soap. I'll add maybe 10% soap to the mix. If I'm Xjetting, I'll use 1-2 gallons of 10.5% in a 5 gallon bucket mixed with soap and water. Since you're using 15%, you'd want to cut that down a bit.

4)

Jobsite preparation Make sure you tell the homeowner to securely close all doors & windows! Also bear in mind that weatherstripping was not designed to withstand lengthy periods of lots of gallons shooting at it. We generally have our homeowners put a towel at the base of all exterior doors just in case.

Usually if you prewet vegetation and rinse during the process, landscaping won't suffer much. Sometimes covering plants will cause more damage than continuously wetting them. We actually run a higher risk of drowning stuff than killing them with chems.

Check your surfaces to be washed thoroughly and note any areas of concern. Point these out to the homeowner and take pictures. In other words, cover your butt.

5)

accessories example, the vast majority of pressure washers use way too much detergent. The detergent

valve is usually opened all the way because the operators like to see lots of suds. A fixed orifice

system can be installed to release the concentration of detergent needed to achieve maximum cleaning

results while using the minimum amount of detergent. This drastically reduces the amount of detergent

you use, with zero impact on cleaning power. Often, detergent use is cut in half. A turbo

nozzle can speed cleaning of caked-on grime by blasting away with a jackhammer effect. A water

softener in an area with hard water will greatly reduce your detergent use and improve the finished

look of the surfaces you are cleaning. Adding an auto start/stop feature makes operating the pressure

washer easier, plus it reduces risk and extends the life of your machine by automatically shutting it

down when not in use. A hose reel will help keep your pressure hose from lying on the ground where it

can absorb oil and grease or be damaged by vehicles driving over the hose. A longer pressure hose

makes it faster and easier to clean larger areas. A surface cleaner added to your pressure washer will

clean walkways, driveways, and parking areas much faster and more uniformly than you can clean with

just a pressure washer alone.

6)

acid washing When the concrete is really nasty, like on dumpster pads or sidewalks outside of the kitchen doors....we'll do an oxalic acid misting - It's acid but it also brightens the concrete dramatically! Realistically, acid (muriatic is the acid that comes to mind when we say acid wash) opens the pores of concrete and causes etching if what you are using is not properly formulated for specifically cleaning. Depending on the condition/grime level, a good degreaser with hot water will be all you need.

We have been known to use GSRestoration on paver sidewalks where the grout was nasty nasty black - that's a restoration acid with oxalic in it

7)

Artillary fungus is from my experience just about impossible to remove. It sticks to the house at a tremendous amount of pressure. I don't remember what the pressure was but its up there. A 2000 sq' Vinyl sided house with the gutters brushed cleaned takes me just about 2 hrs. I have Hot water and cold water machines and there is no difference between using either. What makes these house fast to clean is the chemicals you use and how strong you can make them without causing problems such as killing plant life etc Back to that Artillary fungus. If you are going to try to attempt to clean that you will be at the house for hours and hours picking this stuff off and you will still have the residue from the fungus on the house so your wasting your time with it.

8)

Next year, I'm taking by yellow pages money, and spending every bit of it on direct mail. I get better results.

9)

HD-80

Do-have a neutralizer on hand ready for use when applying HD-80

Do-Keep a gallon of vinegar on hand for personal neutralization

Do-Pre-wet plants and painted surfaces prior,during and after application to avoid causing problems.

Do-wear protective pvc, nitril gloves, goggles, respirator and rubber boots when working with HD-80

Do-Keep curious homeowners inside the home with windows and doors closed in the event the spray drifts in their direction

Do-Apply only to the intended surface and avoid application to an adjacent wood surface not intended to be affected. Use plastic masking to help where otherwise it would get on the surface.

quite a read here but i did say i did my homework and am still studying

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL REPLYS

That is a good start, you are headed in the right direction, Here are my random thoughts.

You might want to get a machine with a higher GPM (gallons per min) output, it will save a lot of time and you will be much happier with the results.

Downstream injection is an injector that is placed after the pump and inline with the pressure hose to inject chemical in the line. An M5 is a downstream injector, it is just placed at the end of your gun insted of up by the pressure washer.

Mabye someone in your area will give you the labor for learning school?

We just started this year also, but don't get the deckseal.com training video it is a waste of money you will learn so much more just reading through these threads. Also my partner and I are going to PWNA convention in October this year for the first time, we were told that it def. worth the money.

Welcome Jean Paul! Great having you here. I moved your post to the business area for you. Please keep asking questions (the only stupid question is the one you fail to ask). We're glad to try our best to answer them.

Again, welcome to TGS!

Beth

IMHO I feel that you can learn more from this forum than on the cd at honest work .com. Believe me, I purchased the program and I found out about this forum a while afterwards and wish I hadn't spent the $ on the cd. Hey 50.00 bucks is 50.00 bucks.

Squeeky.... The " honest work" for 49.95 is a rip-off!!!!!! Spent my money with them before I new about the BB's. You will learn more in 3 or 4 Hrs. useing the "search" on this and the other

boards and still have your money! Please don't do as I did, I don't know about the other sites. Dan

Adrian... Sorry to hear you lost your $50.00, but it is good to know I was not the only sucker. We do learn the hard way sometimes.:lgtear:

Hi Squeeky :)

Saw some of my random stuff up there. I'll toss out the labor for learning thing :) You're only about 120 miles south of us straight down 85. Give me a call if you want to tag along sometime.

Celeste

That is a good start, you are headed in the right direction, Here are my random thoughts.

You might want to get a machine with a higher GPM (gallons per min) output, it will save a lot of time and you will be much happier with the results.

Downstream injection is an injector that is placed after the pump and inline with the pressure hose to inject chemical in the line. An M5 is a downstream injector, it is just placed at the end of your gun insted of up by the pressure washer.

Mabye someone in your area will give you the labor for learning school?

Thanks Paul i wish i could afford more gpm's but the price jumps like $500.00 above 4 gpm's unless i'm missing something?

so is a downstream injector compatible withe a duel pressure wand?

yea I'm hoping Celeste over at Carolina pro wash reads this. she is very gracious about helping newbies out and is not that for away

We just started this year also, but don't get the deckseal.com training video it is a waste of money you will learn so much more just reading through these threads. Also my partner and I are going to PWNA convention in October this year for the first time, we were told that it def. worth the money.

Thanks Mark you just saved me some $$$!! when is the convention maybe if i get started soon enough i'll be able to show some R.O.I. and attend it?

Um, I did, look above your post :)

Celeste

D'ohh!! my bad... i would love to take you up on that Celeste!! thought it was a lott closer tho? i'll just get a hotel room. i'm not completley green i did industrial hydro-blasting for 4 years back in my teenage days.plus 9 more years as a metal tradesman and have well over 200 hours of safety training including the 40 hour HAZ- WOPER course (been over 15 years tho and prolly not current).

Another place you can look fo equipment is www.craigslist.com I thinkor it could be .org not sure. I found mine there it's a 5 gpm cold water setup that i got used for 675

Thanks Lynn i check out craigslist on a regular basis and cant seam to find anything relatively close by.. BTY my sister in law and her family live in Griffin Georgia really growing fast over in Mcdonough.

Welcome Jean Paul! Great having you here. I moved your post to the business area for you. Please keep asking questions (the only stupid question is the one you fail to ask). We're glad to try our best to answer them.

Again, welcome to TGS!

Beth

Thanks Beth i'm glad to be here! i will be asking away believe me.

IMHO I feel that you can learn more from this forum than on the cd at honest work .com. Believe me, I purchased the program and I found out about this forum a while afterwards and wish I hadn't spent the $ on the cd. Hey 50.00 bucks is 50.00 bucks.

Thanks Adrian your right $50.00 is a lott to waste thanks for helpin out.

Squeeky.... The " honest work" for 49.95 is a rip-off!!!!!! Spent my money with them before I new about the BB's. You will learn more in 3 or 4 Hrs. useing the "search" on this and the other

boards and still have your money! Please don't do as I did, I don't know about the other sites. Dan

Thanks Dan it was really that bad huh? i will take your experiences to heart and skip it. thanks again

Thanks Paul i wish i could afford more gpm's but the price jumps like $500.00 above 4 gpm's unless i'm missing something?

so is a downstream injector compatible withe a duel pressure wand?

Yes it really does jump. I have a machine 4000 @4 gpm for $979.00 but that really is not a lot of difference between the one you chose, unless the extras are greater, I didn't really look.

You can apply the downstream soap in several ways, Dual lance wand, rollover nozzle, twist nozzle, showerhead nozzle, or changing tips at the end of the wand. Each has their advantages it really depends on how you are with your equipment, gentle or rough, and what you will be washing.

This Site Is Free..everthing You Could Ever Need Is Here. It Has Already Been Asked If Not Ask It.. If You Really Want To Spend The Money, Send Me The 50 Bucks..lol. Your "homework" Is What Will Set You Apart From The Competition. Not Some Guy On A Cd Telling You He Can Pressure Clean, And To Prove It Here Is A Wood Deck With "wand Marks" On It.

This Site Is Free..everthing You Could Ever Need Is Here. It Has Already Been Asked If Not Ask It.. If You Really Want To Spend The Money, Send Me The 50 Bucks..lol. Your "homework" Is What Will Set You Apart From The Competition. Not Some Guy On A Cd Telling You He Can Pressure Clean, And To Prove It Here Is A Wood Deck With "wand Marks" On It.

i hear ya! yea instead of giving anyone the $$ ill just start a thread of everything that i will do to be successful(kinda like a log). that way in a year or so some other newbie can just hit my thread. and will save him time and money.

thanks

I have two hot water diesel units in one truck with 1500 gal of water running 3000 @ 5.6 gpm ea, and a second truck with 500 gal and 3000 psi @ 5.6.

When I first started I ran the same type of machine output you are looking at 3000 @ 4 gpm. It was a hot water unit so that helped with flat surface and vehicles but it was a night and day difference when I swiched to a higher gpm. I actually used less water to do my jobs by going to a higher gpm because of the time savings it generated. Don't get me wrong though, I am not trying to push you and I don't really know your financial situation, but if you can afford it invest in a better machine to start and it will last longer and save money, and most importantly time, in the long run. (time is money)

Yes indeed, this BBS is the only guide you will need to learn the trade, but I would recommend not just looking at it from time to time when you need a piece of information, but to make it a habit to check in at least every couple of days to catch up on new posts. That's when you'll really start to pick up a lot of PW knowledge. By the way, Welcome.