Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

stupid things

Question

I did a stupid thing today. I backed up to the trailer, lowered it on to the ball, went to do some other things and then drove off. Im driving down the road and put on brakes for a light and heard an awful noise behind me. I look and my trailer is veering off to the right and pushing my truck. I had completely forgotten to latch it, hook up the chains and safety brake cable. How stupid!!!

Last time I renewed my insurance, my agent added liability to my trailer in case something like this happened. I was lucky that i was in the right turn lane and the trailer headed for the curb, so if it missed me, it would have hit the curb. but it could have been much worse. I got away with a lightly dented bumper.

I know we are relucttant to tell about our own stupidity, but list some of the things that you have done that you consider just plain stupid.

Plus, you can get them off your chest with out telling your wife!

52 answers to this question

Hey, I have one that happened this summer while still living in Atlanta.

Got a call to clean a 3 story 3500/4000 sqft home. With the highest chimney that i have ever seen. Went without my help, could not locate him on this day. So get to the customers home, she not in. Call her on the cell, she say go ahead clean the house and make sure that chimney gets clean. So had to get out the extension ladder and climb up about 40 ft to get on the ladder to clean the back side of the chimney. Once done I notice that the ladder is only sticking up about 1ft above the gutter line. PANIC SETS IN AT THIS TIME....remembering that I did not secure the ladder foots before climbing up on this roof. So I cautiously step onto the top rung and the ladder kicks out from under me and topples to the ground. I pulled myself back onto the roof and there I sat for 4.5 hours BAKING IN THE 102 DEGREE GEORGIA HEAT ON TOP OF THIS FRIKIN ROOF.

By the time the garbage man came down the road and saw my about 40 feet up sitting as if I was watching the world go by I had one heck tan by the time I got down.

I tie ladder now at 10ft.

LOL!!

I have a pintle hitch, and drove 25 miles over a bumpy road with it open. Chains and lights were hooked up, as was the break away. When I got to a gas station right before the job and saw it open, I just about passed out. Lucky I only had the front tank filled, and the hitch not level in adjustment. That was a lucky day

I now use a lock on the pintle, and store it in the cup holder. If I do not put it on, it will be in the cup holder to remond me to do so.

I'm doing a roof job two years ago and I back the truck up to the house and raise the lift and up I go. I wash the roof not remembering I am low on gas. I do my thing and when I go to climb back in the bucket and lower to the ground I realize the truck is off. For some reason if the truck isn't running, neither is the lift. I had to call the homeowner (she was in the house and about 70 years old) by cell phone and ask her to fill my tank up with some gas. Really kills the old 'I'm a professional and I know what I am doing' image.

I emptied the yellow jug into the red tank.It took me about 8 minutes to figure out why my burner wasn't working. Thats stupid! Lets hope this thread doesn't end up in the cleaner times.

My father in law filled up his diesel with some 91 octane the other day....good thing he didn't start it, I was able to pump it all out of the tank and refill with diesel..He was so embarrassed and being the nice guy that I am, I will probably never let him live it down :D

I'm doing a roof job two years ago and I back the truck up to the house and raise the lift and up I go. I wash the roof not remembering I am low on gas. I do my thing and when I go to climb back in the bucket and lower to the ground I realize the truck is off. For some reason if the truck isn't running, neither is the lift. I had to call the homeowner (she was in the house and about 70 years old) by cell phone and ask her to fill my tank up with some gas. Really kills the old 'I'm a professional and I know what I am doing' image.

Now that is funny!

I have backed into my trailer multiple times and pulled away without it. Sometimes I have gotten miles down the road before I remembered that the trailer should be back there...

ok....fess up, you must be a smoker mr. stone..lol

Started on a roof by spraying the side with the ladder figuring it would dry by time I made it around. Wasnt close, and was the slipperiest one Id been on yet. Sliding down a chlorine covered roof on my butt and hands doesnt feel good to say the least.

Another time the ladder gets pulled over when I pull my hose across the roof. Fortunately, across the street were some roofers that were happy to put the ladder back up for me.

After a long hard night of washing I backed my trailer into my garage and unhooked it (except one of the safety chains!). Well as I pulled away to park my truck in the street the one safety chain grabbed and yanked the trailer almost sideways (since I pulled off at an angle) ripping out a section of my home, framing and garage door track. But hey, luckily my trailer wasnt damaged.

Cut a nice V in my knee cap with a 25 degree tip while hurrying to get the corner of a pool deck done.

Slid down the valley of a metal tiled three story roof ( was tied off to the lift on the opposite side ) after stepping in wet coating. The old coating was the fiber reinforced silver asphaltic based junk. I was scratching and clawing as the deck railing on the ground that I was lined up with got closer and closer. The rope caught me about 5 ft from the edge. It was fun spraying the rest of the roof full of fear and elastomeric coating not to mention having my wife tweeze asphaltic coating chips out of my butt and thighs.

Well, yesterday I had to use my chin to stop my face from going through my hose reel.

I have one those tall (5' or so) ramps on the back of my trailer. I was replacing a hose that had sprung a leak and the ramp was wet.

No telling who saw it happen but I felt like an azz.

I'm leaving before daylight going fishing in the morning with a friend of mine.

This thread prompted me to go over there this evening so that we could hook everything up and check it out in the daylight.

:)

Hey, I have one that happened this summer while still living in Atlanta.

Got a call to clean a 3 story 3500/4000 sqft home. With the highest chimney that i have ever seen. Went without my help, could not locate him on this day. So get to the customers home, she not in. Call her on the cell, she say go ahead clean the house and make sure that chimney gets clean. So had to get out the extension ladder and climb up about 40 ft to get on the ladder to clean the back side of the chimney. Once done I notice that the ladder is only sticking up about 1ft above the gutter line. PANIC SETS IN AT THIS TIME....remembering that I did not secure the ladder foots before climbing up on this roof. So I cautiously step onto the top rung and the ladder kicks out from under me and topples to the ground. I pulled myself back onto the roof and there I sat for 4.5 hours BAKING IN THE 102 DEGREE GEORGIA HEAT ON TOP OF THIS FRIKIN ROOF.

By the time the garbage man came down the road and saw my about 40 feet up sitting as if I was watching the world go by I had one heck tan by the time I got down.

I tie ladder now at 10ft.

I can hear the garbage man now "Your ladder fall?" or "Do you need some help?"

Yeah, we limited.

Schoolies, but it was still fun.

We caught them on live shrimp, plastics on bottom, plastics under a popper- you name it. We had to work for a limit because there were so many shorties. We didn't catch any reds (saw a couple of big ones) and thankfully no hardheads. A couple of gafftops and one big stingray (mine) was it for trash fish.

We threw some white trout in there, too. We had just pulled up into a bay and Rick said, "You smell that?" It took me a second to realize what that watermelonish smell was. Then we started slinging plastics and hauling in white trout. I wish it had been a school of specks, but oh well. He eats them.

I hadn't been to Hopedale in almost 2 years. It was nice to get back down there. The marsh hasn't changed that much but the drive down is a lot different.

You folk just crack me up.... it's late, I need my beauty sleep, but here I am....

I can honestly say that I've never not done up the safety chains, but as for the jockey wheel... it's sure seen some miles.

You folk just crack me up.... it's late, I need my beauty sleep, but here I am....

I can honestly say that I've never not done up the safety chains, but as for the jockey wheel... it's sure seen some miles.

I forgot the chains once...good thing I didn't need them. Got the trailer hooked up, and got distracted and forgot the chains and the electrical connector.

Cleaning our first roof with the new Delavan pump this last Saturday. With the extra run off from the 5.3gpm, I had my helper drop a garden hose at the base of one particular bush. Just a precaution to make sure it would drink enough.

Job went late and we were rinsing the house off after dusk.

I followed up with the client this morning, just to make sure we didn't miss anything on the walls and he was very pleased with the work.

It turns out that my helper, after my telling him, never got around to turning that one hose off and it was watering the plant all night long. The owner found it Sunday morning when walking his dog.

My fault for not double checking, but he certainly will get an earfull this afternoon.

Homeowner said that part of the garage had water in it but it's saince dried up.

I'll find out this afternoon what, if anything, was damaged and what this will cost me.

The water bill is a given ofcourse.