Sign in to follow this  
Proclean

Behr Off

Question

This is how we strip Behr. No big deal. Man, are the customers ever happy. Second deck this week with sanding off the stain. SOP for the future.

A step above the rest. WTW going on this deck.

This is the big boy. Second picture for the small guy.

post-514-137772168973_thumb.jpg

26 answers to this question

Paul, couple of questions..

When you say SOP. Is this gonna be for ever deck floor that needs stripping? Every deck period? There is nothing like sanding a floor. The sealer takes and looks 10 times better.

What do you do about the rails?

Do you own the equipment or rent it for when the situation calls for it. (nice units)

What type of prep do you do prior to a floor sanding. I am assuming you set the nails.

Man Ken, a couple of questions??

For someone who won't list me on your web site.

Every deck period? No way. You want the best - here I am.

I sub out the deck sanding. The guys do indoor hardwood floors most everyday.

You are 100% right. If you could see these decks after sanding, your mouth would drop open.

Rails are done as normal.

Paul, I just recovered my d-base at restore-a-deck. I have about 15 guys to add that I never knew were there. Its on my to-do list. I'll get you up there.

I've sanded a few and the results were incredible. I offer it as an upsell but I don't push it. Do you ever tint your sealer?

Nice Paul that's a good way to remove that crappy stain! :cool:

How long does it take those guys to sand that floor? I take it they have no problems getting close to the house and under the rail?

I can't wait to see the after pics stained.

Ken, No problem. It's a busy world.

Shane, I don't have the folder in front of me. This deck was around 600 sq. feet. Took the guys about 3 hours. The homeowners were so happy. I'll try and post after pics.

Thanks

Nice deck - I have one of those portercable paint shaver tools with the tungsten carbide sanding discs. It can be used as a floor edger - I did my whole deck with that tool - took the cup right out of these 18 yr. old pressure treated planks - but it took a whole heck of a lot longer than 3 hours! I believe Benjamin moore stores are renting out units to resurface decks with - but the device is made of tungsten bits on a big disc - so you get swirl patterns. Much like the same device used on flooring to buff out between coats. Anyways - I am curious how much you charge per sq foot for just the sanding part?

Nice work!

We've also gone the sanding route using flooring contractors.

I've got a great sanding company that is so happy to get outdoor work that they only charge $35 an hr. My team sets the nails b/c it's more cost effective.

Thanks all.

Screws did not need to be set. They were deep enough. Only the top cap on the handrail was sanded to match the floor. Homeowner and myself went down what road we were going to take AND the spindles didn't look THAT bad because the home owner did such a bad job. Our stain will even out the final finish.

These guys main job is indoor wood refinishing.

Cost - I figure it into the final cost and just have to come back and stain. Sweeeet deal. No chemicals, PW'ing or coming back another day to stain.

No pressure washing?????????????????????????????

Can I assume there was no or little stain in between the floor boards.

I've refinshed 3 hardwood floors over the years,using the same machines you have in your pictures. I met a guy last year who does the same thing, mostly floors but loves the odd job outside.

The job looks nice.Way 2 go

Sweeeet deal. No chemicals, PW'ing or coming back another day to stain.

I could say the not having to use caustic chems and p/washing to stain a deck can save you headaches in the long run.You won't get a call saying "my plants look dead" or "my grass is getting yellow".Now you get a call having to go look at the plants and grass.

Now Paul i've never used WTW but if i used a stain like Gray Away on a freshly sanded deck it would never soak in.I would have to clean it first to dry the wood up before staining.

Do you think if you cleaned the deck after sanding it would soak in better?

That's what i thought Ken I was just curious how WTW applied on freshly sanded wood.If i sand one or 2 boards on a deck they stand out like a sore thumb.So i deter most customers from spot sanding if possible.I would rather replace boards than sand anyday!

One thing to keep in mind Shane is that every board would be sanded so there would be no splotchiness like you get from spot sanding. I just want my wood free from all contaminants before I apply a sealer. If the "pores" of the wood are cloged with sawdust that sawdust is going to absorb sealer. Since that dust is not attached to the wood a paraffinic oil would just moisten them and they would wash away at the first rain. Little harder to say with wood tux as the product will cure and more or less lock everything in.

Shane, Sanding and buffing the wood closes up the pores. So it will take less oil. So even with WT you will use less product. Using that type of sanding is a selective process. It depends on how well the deck was laid , what type of finish, what type of wood and the age.

The deck I just did and buffed on the Pessure Tek site took plenty of oil. You have to Vacuum very well. Cedar is a real pain after major sanding.

I've done a bit of floor sanding in my time - and the first coat of floor urethanes always soaked into the wood completely. Am I missing something? And I have been following sikkens advice about giving deck boards a good sanding with a random orbital sander with 60-80 grit after pressure washing - I have the hose attachment to suck the dust as I go. And I haven't seen a problem with absorption. when I paint a home, and scrape away loose paint - I always spot sand those areas with my makita - again the oil primer soaks right in - isn't sanding great prep?

Cedar needs a pre-conditioner once sanding has been done in order to ensure even penetration and results. Only problem is that you never quite know how deep the problems go into the substrate and even when it looks good on top, once you apply the product the problems show up.

Rod!~