Sign in to follow this  
squirtgun

Hmmm...

Question

75 answers to this question

Pay particular attention to the fact that apparently some roofing munfacturers now recommend sodium hydroxide for cleaning roof.Last time I saw the ARMA bulletin it was still S/H,TSP and water.

http://www.cleanpeers.com/articles/cleaning-asphalt-roofs.htm

I have NEVER ever seen a shingle manufacturer actually remommend Sodium Hydroxide.

I have heard manufacturers CLAIM that their Sodium Hydroxide based cleaner is recommended, but never seen any proof!

I think this Henry guy who wrote the articles is simply a "parrot", and repeating what he has heard.

There is an old saying that goes "Tell a lie often enough, and it becomes truth"

It kind of reminds me of the ridiculous claim that using bleach will "neutralize" Termite treatment.

I know several old time pest control guys who told me, off the record that Termited HATE bleach, LOL

And, a quick and dirty way to "Termite Proof" a house was to simply spray bleach all around it.

Of course, this is not good for plants ...

I have actually seen Insects flat get up and leave a house or yard when Bleach spills.

They do not like the Love

I think this Henry guy who wrote the articles is simply a "parrot", and repeating what he has heard.

If you notice this an ad for the PWNA roof cleaning class. What you don't see here is that Henry owns a sunbrite franchise.He is also a PWNA board member.

(If that is not an accurate description of the sunbrite store, Pete I apologize.But I will welcome your explanation on the matter.)

Naturally Sunbrite sells NAOH based roof cleaner. So that is what I am Speculating will be the method taught at the convention.

Henry lurks around here but hasn't posted as much as he used to. So If shingle manufacturing company has changed their postion in writing please share the technical bulletein with us please. All I can go by is the ARMA technical bulletein that says Sodium Hypochlorite.Sodium Hydroxide is not mentioned.

So if Henry or any other PWNA training coordinator can share this change with us in writing it will both help me in being factual in my statements and lend the PWNA some much needed credibility.

Look forward to eliminating the confusion.

Scott

If you notice this an ad for the PWNA roof cleaning class. What you don't see here is that Henry owns a sunbrite franchise.He is also a PWNA board member.

(If that is not an accurate description of the sunbrite store, Pete I apologize.But I will welcome your explanation on the matter.)

Naturally Sunbrite sells NAOH based roof cleaner. So that is what I am Speculating will be the method taught at the convention.

Henry lurks around here but hasn't posted as much as he used to. So If shingle manufacturing company has changed their postion in writing please share the technical bulletein with us please. All I can go by is the ARMA technical bulletein that says Sodium Hypochlorite.Sodium Hydroxide is not mentioned.

So if Henry or any other PWNA training coordinator can share this change with us in writing it will both help me in being factual in my statements and lend the PWNA some much needed credibility.

Look forward to eliminating the confusion.

Scott

With all due respect Scott, do not hold your breath.

I think it will be a cold day in hell before ANY shingle manufacturer actually recommends a Sodium Hydroxide based cleaner.

Trying to be tactful and give people the benefit of the doubt.I don't believe it either. But you never know, so rather than put my foot in my mouth I'll give them the opportunity to back up their statement.

I mean that site is not much more than a PR Newswire of janitorial. Read the list of other topics, "how to keep feather dusters fluffy".Not much meat there for me.

I think they were trying to let people of other trades know about roof cleaning so people might see the revenue stream and take their class.

I speculate a silent response unless it is a response without a technical bulletein.

Scott

Roof Cleaning --Asphalt Shingles

By Henry Bockman

Author Bio:

Henry Bockman, operates
Henry's Housework (
) a pressure washing company in Maryland, holds Environmental and Wood certifications from the Power Washers of North America, Wolman, American Builders and Restoration and other contractor organizations. Bockman also instructs for some of the PWNA training and certification courses. (
) He also recommends using professional
pressure washing products from suppliers like Sun Brite Supply of Maryland (
) instead of using high pressure to clean.

This Article sounds more like a paid advertisement for his wifes store and the PWNA than an evidence based research article.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Trying to be tactful and give people the benefit of the doubt.I don't believe it either. But you never know, so rather than put my foot in my mouth I'll give them the opportunity to back up their statement.

I mean that site is not much more than a PR Newswire of janitorial. Read the list of other topics, "how to keep feather dusters fluffy".Not much meat there for me.

I think they were trying to let people of other trades know about roof cleaning so people might see the revenue stream and take their class.

I speculate a silent response unless it is a response without a technical bulletein.

Scott

How to keep feather dusters fluffy? haaaagghghgh I shot coffe out of my friggin' nose................. It actually hurts to do that...

I am so glad to have found this website and particularly the roof cleaning forum....

I was sucked in to the swirling marketing machine that is "roof a cide" and others....Thank God I spent some time doing reading and research and did not go forward with that plan......Nothing against them because they seem to be doing ok....I just did not have that up front money they require and, as I read more every day, using S. Hydroxide just does not seem to be very efficient as far as labor and productivity........

How to keep feather dusters fluffy? haaaagghghgh I shot coffe out of my friggin' nose................. It actually hurts to do that...

I am so glad to have found this website and particularly the roof cleaning forum....

I was sucked in to the swirling marketing machine that is "roof a cide" and others....Thank God I spent some time doing reading and research and did not go forward with that plan......Nothing against them because they seem to be doing ok....I just did not have that up front money they require and, as I read more every day, using S. Hydroxide just does not seem to be very efficient as far as labor and productivity........

LOL.... Thanks for the visual on the nose coffee.... ANd for the real world application of eficacy of SH

LOL.... Thanks for the visual on the nose coffee.... ANd for the real world application of eficacy of SH

AND...everyone in the business knows that feather dusters are out and "Swiffer" is in....These people need to keep up with their infomercials....I was lucky enough to be one of the first 100 callers and got that extension that allows me to clean my ceiling fan....

Roof Cleaning --Asphalt Shingles

By Henry Bockman

Author Bio:

Henry Bockman, operates
Henry's Housework (
) a pressure washing company in Maryland, holds Environmental and Wood certifications from the Power Washers of North America, Wolman, American Builders and Restoration and other contractor organizations. Bockman also instructs for some of the PWNA training and certification courses. (
) He also recommends using professional
pressure washing products from suppliers like Sun Brite Supply of Maryland (
) instead of using high pressure to clean.

This Article sounds more like a paid advertisement for his wifes store and the PWNA than an evidence based research article.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

With that kind of horn blowing......what else could it possibly be? Wonder how much that type of stuff costs to do?

Celeste

AND...everyone in the business knows that feather dusters are out and "Swiffer" is in....These people need to keep up with their infomercials....I was lucky enough to be one of the first 100 callers and got that extension that allows me to clean my ceiling fan....

\

But thats not all.... be one of the first 200 callers for the feather duster deluxe and get the mini-pocket feather duster and the deluxe storage case...

But wait a minute...... whats that Henry???? WOW!!!.... call by 5 PM and get the "limited time only" universal feather duster cleaner. This great Item will clean both the Origonal and mini-pocket feather duster in less than 60 seconds......

With that kind of horn blowing......what else could it possibly be? Wonder how much that type of stuff costs to do?

Celeste

Horn blowing? Reminds me of those cheap plastic whistles that come in a bag of piñata filler...you have to blow pretty hard to get a squeak.

Beth :dancing:

The roof cleaning article at the beginning of the thread did not come off to me as a complete and thorough explanation regarding chems and shingle cleaning.

Maybe Henry intended it to be that way so that folks would "click through" to either his website, Sunbrite and/or the PWNA. Electronic marketing at it's best!

The roof cleaning article at the beginning of the thread did not come off to me as a complete and thorough explanation regarding chems and shingle cleaning.

Maybe Henry intended it to be that way so that folks would "click through" to either his website, Sunbrite and/or the PWNA. Electronic marketing at it's best!

HELLO CARLOS.... HOW THE HECK ARE YA?

Ahhh Geezz, if it ain't busted, don't fix it.

ISYHTRAH

Looks like we got lots of folks trying to tell us how to do our job.

"You need to be more carefull!"

They were cleaning lambswool dusters not feather. Big difference, and a swiffer will not take its place. Lambswool holds the dust while feathers spread it around.

If i got it wrong sorry, for the untrained eye (like myself) I figured all dusters were feather.LOL

But if anybody missed this extremely informative article...here it is

http://www.cleanpeers.com/articles/duster-cleaning.htm

Enjoy

Scott

Maybe Henry intended it to be that way so that folks would "click through" to either his website, Sunbrite and/or the PWNA.

Gee.....ya think? ;)

Beth

Since I have no particular interest in reading Henry's article, I haven't, however, from the posts I'm reading, if he is promoting sodium hydroxide for cleaning roofs.....isn't that kind of the opposite of what was just recently published on roof cleaning in the Cleaner Times Magazine? Maybe Beth can actually post exerpts of what the PWNA endorses as well as her well-researched (I'm quite certain of good research with her) facts that were published.

If I remember correctly, ARMA recommends sodium hypochlorite, the PWNA felt they should follow the AHJ on this one, which means that Henry/SunBrite is confused????? I am :)

Celeste

Hey Matt,

Good to see ya! We are okay on this end. Still experienceing 80 degree weather so we are staying busy. Cleaned and sealed 1200 sq. ft of concrete on Friday....came out sweet!

Beth - LOL :)

Hey Matt,

Good to see ya! We are okay on this end. Still experienceing 80 degree weather so we are staying busy. Cleaned and sealed 1200 sq. ft of concrete on Friday....came out sweet!

Beth - LOL :)

I want to be just like Carlos....