Sign in to follow this  
RyanH

Competition: what gives?

Question

Unlike many users on this board, I am not in the situation of having an overabundance of pressure washing competition in my area. Most competition is in the form of part-timers, not full time companies. Currently, I would still consider myself to be part-time, but am quickly working to change that. I have only had a few dozen residential and a few commercial jobs, but have spent almost every dollar I have earned to put back into my setup. I have invested hundreds of hours experimenting with various pieces of equipment, reading up on other techniques, buying / building better equipment, etc. I am still using an off-the-shelf commercial pressure washer (around $1100 new), but manage quite well.

All of that for this: why does it seem that the competition I see on the streets pulling their trailers around do not use many of the tools I consider to be necessary to do a good job? For example, most cleaners I see have a fresh water tank, a pressure washer, some high pressure hoses, and not much more? In addition to these things, I carry extension lances, a ladder (rarely used, though), dedicated backpack sprayers for various purposes, extra water and pressure hose, various boxes of chemicals, an assortment of tools, stuff to clean windows (chemical, squeegee, sponges, extensions, etc.). Am I overdoing it? Are there ways of doing jobs without all of the stuff I use? My customers have been extremely impressed with my setup, and it doesn't even look as neat and professional as the competition carrying only a washer and some water, but I seem to have everything on hand to do a very good job everytime.

What gives? Are they, despite the nice washers and trailers, not as "professional" as I aspire to be?

I would appreciate in help, encouragement, opinions, etc. on this. Am I trying to reinvent the wheel with all the stuff I use, or am I just more thorough?

Thanks very much.

Ryan Holbird

69 answers to this question

Rick:

I totally agree with that...The most important things you need to make your business successful are desire and initiative. Of course you need more than that, but without those two things, your success will be elusive.

rob:

Might we see some pics of the vehicle you do have? I love looking at what others have done both in their advertising/lettering, and in their rig setups. We can all learn from eachother, and I certainly have learned a lot from these boards and the willingness of so many to share.

Guest rfitz

I have tons of pics, just none of the outside of my van with lettering, if I get time this weekend, I will take a few...

Paul,

I agree that insurance and advertising costs have to be figured in when starting up a business, however, I'm not sure you need to have that total amount available up front.

Somewhere along the line, your revenue stream is going to have to start covering most of your ongoing expenses.

Advertising, for example, is an expense that can go up or down after determining what works, and what does not.

I guess everybody has different ways of looking at things. Probably the most important thing is to have extra living expense $$ tucked away to get you thru the difficult times.

Tony,

No, you don't have to have it, but remember this is a safety net for someone that's going full time from day one. There is a lot at risk and the odds become greater for failure with shallower pockets. The season is too short, and weather is too unpredictable.

Most of the advertising fund for the 1st year should be committed early in a start-up to have timely returns. If you don't get calls, you don't earn to pay for more advertising. If you're starting part time, you have time to experiment and piece meal it.

I think your statistical data will not be there until you have gone one full cycle or one whole year (especially in northern climates).

Also, I believe that you have to attack marketing from several angles as at times one will have better returns than another. So on, so on...

The approach will be different for each person - one is comfortable with a dollar in their pocket while the next person is not comfortable even with a bulging wallet.

Hello all,

I will be starting out full time at 49. I walked away from 55k gross and have bought a 2002 van and the proper insurance. I will be getting all start-up equip and chems from Sun-Brite. I have a former background in the residential service field so customer relations is familiar to me. I will spend up to 2k on the marketing aspect, if needed, this spring and summer and think that should be enough. I have around 14k in ready cash and 5k in stocks and another 11k left on the credit cards. I am incredibly excited to get back out into the sunlight and out of the cubicle. No more working for the "suits"....Oh did I mention that I am also scared sh%T$#ss...... I think thats a good sign.

Would love to hear from everyone.

Steve

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home and Property

Care and Maintainence

My only concern is your marketing $. Year one, only I spent about $300/mo in markting and it was a rough year. Last year, I spent about $1k/mo and reaped about 8:1. This next year I plan to spend $2500/mo in the "active season"

Thanks for the feedback fellas,

So Philip, you think I should "up the marketing budget" per month? I would like to be able to book work at a 5:1 ratio per dollar spent on marketing/ads. I also want to be able to gross at least 8k per month since I live up north and have to contend with a shorter season. So I better re-think my strategy.......Ya gotta spend it to make it, right..............Note to self...........Call I-print in the morning.

Scott, your right about the biz plan. Mine is not a formal plan but a note book filled with goals, marketing/advertising strategies, ideas and such. I need to organize it all though.

I have been reading this board like mad and have learned a ton. I want to thank everyone involved for helping and sharing your experience and knowledge with others. I want to start a thread asking the question "If you where starting a business today with the knowledge you now have, what 5 tools (besides your washer) would you say everyone should have ie, x-jet, wands, surface cleaners. Tools that you can't live without. This is for the residential guys and gals....Oh, and how do I start a thread...Thanks all

Steve

Stephen Andrews

Power Washing

Home and Property

Care and Maintainence

This is definitely an area dependant issue. If I spent $2500 per month on advertisng I would need six crews to keep pace. In my area the Yellow Pages gets a 5000% (yes as in fifty fold) gross return rate. It's a no brainer. My Yellow pages ads run under $200 per month.

Steve it sounds like you have solid business sense. Call me sometime. I would like to share thoughts on our area and business potential. I can provide what I have learned about the northeast market. 610-662-4036

Steve before you start marketing or spending more on marketing. Get confident on what you can wash and handel. Practise on friends and relatives houses. This will give you refrences. I see more new people fail from over marketing because they can't deliver.

James,

Waterbury Connecticut?

Ken,

Where is Haverton Pa?

Everett,

Where is Shamong, NJ?

THE THREE WISE MEN OF THE NORTH.

I pay a great deal of attention to your posts.

I respect your knowledge.

I relate to your demographics.

I love your "bottom line numbers" for our area.

Three confident, "no bull" guys.

Steve