Sign in to follow this  
Rfitz

Bottom Line is....

The bottom line is WE ALL HAVE TO RAISE OUR PRICES DRASTICALLY..

I know that sounds weird but it's true, if we want to raise credibility to our industry, and stick together.My prices will jump 20% across the board in 07 this is as a skilled craft no different than Plumbers, Electricians, etc.. and we should be compensated so.. We have tons of overhead, headaches, etc.. This is one of the reason s I hear from so many customers that the guy that washed their deck, house, whatever 2-4 years ago is no longer in BIZ, then I tell them, you know why..? he made no money on his jobs, and decided to get out , I cant tell you how many customers tell me that every year, it is in the hundreds, so word to the wise, if your not billing minimum $150 an hour or close to it, you would be better off getting a job at Walmart, or Macdonalds,

So lets stick together, and earn what we deserve....

Rfitz,

I believe you are correct. Most service people are looked at a sub standard living. We all want the very best service, quality and price! Anyone can buy a cheap PWer and spray off their deck. Anyone can paint, etc. It is up to us to educate the public. An old History teacher once taught me" The masses are ******". He was correct. We see it daily. By learning what we need to properly run our businesses and build in a profit, we will survive. We must learn about our businesses and our customers. Get a hold on who we are and what we want. If we want to complete a project, spend the cash on a brew or two, so be it. If we grow our company, present ourselves in a professional manner, we will survive. We raise our prices, sometimes more than once a year. All based on our cost and profit plan. Thank You.

Two pressure washers. Same size house, with same amount of work to do. It takes pw #1 two hours to do a professional job. It takes pw #2 one hour to do the same job. Which pw should charge $150/hr? Without a standard with which to measure, I don't see a practical way to set a one-size-fits-all hourly rate.

As for me, my goal is $100/hr. I can usually was 2 or 3 houses per day. When I started almost 7 years ago, I was able to wash only one house per day. I still charge about the same price (a little more) per sq ft, but I am 2 or 3 times faster.

I'm tired of this line of work for those reasons, and then some. These days, I price as high as I can get, I only take the gravy work, and I will not work for people I don't like. Now, I find myself working a lot less, with less headaches, and making the same money I was before. This industry will never get due respect, mark my words on that.

This is a little example of what you get in a industry loaded with inexperienced idiots cutting the throat of legit businesses. I gave a quote to this lady about a month ago. She called me back the night before our appointment and canceled. I wrote her an email in response to her cancellation and this was the reply. She was very nice, but naive like many.

Lance thank you for your email. I am very sorry that I had to cancel our appointment but I also wanted to be honest with you. For years I paid $250.00 to have my house, driveway, patio & sidewalks pressure washed. When you quoted me $500.00 for the house & driveway I thought that was a little high but since I had not done pressure washing in 3 years I really just thought like everything else the price had gone up. I did not not go looking for another estimate but this gentleman was in our neighborhood and just came by so I allowed him to give me an estimate and I was really shocked in what he quoted me. I have never been a shopper for the lowest price because I do know you pay for what you get but his estimate was so much lower than yours that I had to make that decision. It will be interesting to see the kind of quality work that he does and I will let you know. I will keep you in mind for future jobs, and I trust you do understand. I wish you and your family a happy Thanksgiving and a wonderful holiday season.

Thank you

I'm happy with what I make, sometimes its lower some times its real high, but its always good. I love the PW biz.

What was that I heard once..... "You make that much for squirting water" LOL

This is a little example of what you get in a industry loaded with inexperienced idiots cutting the throat of legit businesses. I gave a quote to this lady about a month ago. She called me back the night before our appointment and canceled. I wrote her an email in response to her cancellation and this was the reply. She was very nice, but naive like many.

Lance thank you for your email. I am very sorry that I had to cancel our appointment but I also wanted to be honest with you. For years I paid $250.00 to have my house, driveway, patio & sidewalks pressure washed. When you quoted me $500.00 for the house & driveway I thought that was a little high but since I had not done pressure washing in 3 years I really just thought like everything else the price had gone up. I did not not go looking for another estimate but this gentleman was in our neighborhood and just came by so I allowed him to give me an estimate and I was really shocked in what he quoted me. I have never been a shopper for the lowest price because I do know you pay for what you get but his estimate was so much lower than yours that I had to make that decision. It will be interesting to see the kind of quality work that he does and I will let you know. I will keep you in mind for future jobs, and I trust you do understand. I wish you and your family a happy Thanksgiving and a wonderful holiday season.

Thank you

Lance

I know how you gotta feel after something like this, I hate losing customers. It sounds like you had a good relationship with the customer too, which is what we are all told to do to in order to stand out. I'm sure she will see she gets what she paid for and may even call you back. It would be real hard for me to jump right when she calls. I would have to mess with her a little and tell her I'm booked solid for a month. Did you ever e mail her back? Hang in there and keep doing what you know is right.

Congrats on spanking my Colts too, good game.

"You make that much for squirting water" LOL

That's the exact problem Jeff, that's all that most people thank we do, and for good reason, because that's all that most pressure washers do do. Most have no concept in what goes into this trade. I know this has been beat to death, but with that quote I couldn't resist.

Lance

I know how you gotta feel after something like this, I hate losing customers. It sounds like you had a good relationship with the customer too, which is what we are all told to do to in order to stand out. I'm sure she will see she gets what she paid for and may even call you back. It would be real hard for me to jump right when she calls. I would have to mess with her a little and tell her I'm booked solid for a month. Did you ever e mail her back? Hang in there and keep doing what you know is right.

Congrats on spanking my Colts too, good game.

Hey Barry, Actually this wasn't a previous customer. I had just met her and given an estimate about a week prior. The one thing that really surprised me about this lady was how upfront and honest she was. Most customers would just call and cancel, but she actually gave a thorough explanation on my voice mail of why she was canceling (same content as her email above) which is what prompted my email to her. I mean it's not a big deal, I've had plenty of this in the past, but I figured I'd share because I still had the email.

Oh, and GO JAGS!!!!!!!!!!

This is exactly why I don't sell water spraying anymore. Consumers know that "water squirting" is only worth $xx.xx. However, when you begin to realize that there is already a huge number of guys out there selling "water spraying", then you can make a plan to sell something that isn't being pitched at every corner. The supply/demand ratio is out of whack if all you sell is "water spraying". If we set ourselves apart and take a stand that we don't sell Pressure Cleaning but rather sell Great, dependable, trustworthy customer service, then our bids aren't and can't be compared to the bid that is only pricing for Pressure Cleaning. Once we realize what it is we are selling, then we realize who we need to market to. Our market changes. We no longer are bidding against "Water Squirters" because we reached the market that's wanting to buy customer service. They didn't call the water squirter and the water squirter didn't reach our market. We are now in a no-bid, high demand/low supply situation. This equals higher margins and higher close ratios (because you have marketed to a different mindset of consumers, you're not even bidding on the yellowpage low price shoppers)

Dude is right, "Pressure Cleaning" is not going to be in and of itself a respected trade. Even WE know that "Spraying Water" is only worth $15-$20/hr; this is what most of us pay our help. We have to just put more emphasis on what we are really selling.... Customer Service.

When we realize that, then you begin to figure out ways to reach the consumer that is buying customer service. You approach all your Marketing and Selling with this in mind. Get away from telling a potential customer that you "spray water" better than anyone. Tell them that you will be on-time to comlpete thier project so that you are not intruding on thier schedule. Sell them the benefit of having YOU make sure that thier project is completed in a timely professional manner while they enjoy themselves at the Golf Course/Day Spa without worrying that the "Water Sprayers" are tearing up thier property or stealing thier Big Screen TV. Tell them about your policies that don't allow employees to smoke on thier property littering thier manicured lawn with cigarette butts.

I could go on and on, but the jist is that there are way too many "water sprayers" (Supply) for it to be worth much more. Face it... Painters do it, Lawncare guys do it, Handymen do it, Home owners do it, So the Supply/Demand ratio is 1:1. What do we do? We sell something else that is in higher demand. Customer Service. You marketing focus should be on selling benefits of hiring a Professional company to handle the consumers project versus selling how your House wash soap is better that the other guys soap. That will only get you a call from someone wanting to buy better soap. You want to get calls from people wanting to buy Service. Wanting to buy a day that they don't have to stay at home while they babysit the "Hired Help"

Anyhow, $150/hr is not a gouge or even unreasonable when it is buying Peace of Mind. I see $250+/hr at times. Am I working 8 hours a day, not yet. But who wants to do that for the same money. Is it harder to sell Service? Yes. That's why there is a demand for it. Not everyone can provide it.

Off my box now.

I have not raised my house washing prices since I started in PW. And it's harder not to be the highest price for washing. Go figure? I'm wth Orr on this one. However; In Nov and Dec with Temps in the 40 and 50's and being cloudy and not to worry about plants. My time was cut in half. I did a 500 dollar job in 2.5 hours.

The climate for house washing has gone south as pricing goes. To many part timers , painters, handyman services ect... So you need to establish a client base and service them with quality.

I agree with FCPWLLC, The Value for the customers dollar is what it is about. Unfortunatly there are many more price shoppers than folks who realize the Value. As with our painting business, we shop our customers. We don't lower prices, use inferior materials, etc. We charge more than average, do less work than alot of companys, BUT make more money. We feel the LOW Ballers our not our competition. They are usually out of work after an attempt to do what we do. Sell Your Service. Thank You.

Quality-Service-Price

When I started this topic, the reason I charge that much includes, the phone call for the bid, going to quote the job, selling the customer, fuel to bid the job, and time, advertising materials, Insurance, wear and tear on equip. and vehicles, going back to do the job, usually you and another guys labor, washing materials, etc.. etc.. etc.. so actually that $150 an hour is almost cut in half after the job is all said and done, so even at $150 an hour I consider my prices are very reasonable, I cant work for free as should no one, especially with the level of quality I offer my customers as opposed to my competetion, most if not all my competetion wash and stain wood the same day, hardly no companies here make 2 trips, and most bid jobs over the phone without ever seeing the job, no wonder 90% of people in this biz fail...???

Rob,

First of all, I want to start off by saying I mean no disrespect.

You came out into my neck of the woods last year and bid a house. They called me wanting a bid. The house was a two story house, if my mind serves me correctly it was around 260 linear feet. After I submitted my bid, the homeowner looked at me and said "We called A+ Pressure Pros out of the phonebook and they came out and wanted over $1000.00"

I agree we all need to charge more.

Keep in mind Don, on a bid like that, Rob would have already had 3-4hrs. invested before he even fired up a machine (out and back for a bid/out to start the wash). I think Rob's point was that you cannot count that as "free time".

This is off the main subject, but directed to what Don brought up. I'm sure Don didn't do this, but NEVER, EVER disparage a higher bid than yours. If it's lower, sure, you'll say, "I'm assuming they referenced out, had the necessary insurances, etc, yes??" Or, "Mrs. X, we define quality by the fact that we use a very special, expensive soap on your home that will dry spot-free, and resist mildew for two years. At the lower prices you've mentioned, there is no way that can be accomplished. (no clue about housewashing, making stuff up)"

BUT if higher, as was the case with DonM. vs. RFitz, you say, "with respect, I don't want you to think RfitzWashing was trying to rip you off. They are located in the city, we're in the country. They live an hour away, I'm your neighbor. Sure, that price may sound high for the scope of the work, but I can see where that is what RFitzWashing needed to charge to be profitable on this job. But I feel I can offer you the same quality of workmanship, with the service all of my customers get, for $700---not because I am a lowballer, but because it pays to shop local."

Or something like that.

Jon,

I told the homeowner that I knew Rob and I knew he did quaility work. I left it alone after that. I didnt bash Rob or his company.

The bottom line is this....this upcoming year I dont want to sell pressure washing. I dont want to sell deck stripping and staining. Want I do want is to have a system in place that generates leads, a system that does a lot of preselling and prequalifing leads, and when that lead comes to my website and makes a phone call they are already 90% sold. I dont want to run across hell's half acre chasing job bids like I did this year. I want my phone to ring, and when it rings I want that customer to have went through a couple of phases before they called me.

If they want a 100.00 house wash, call the local handyman or your local painter (no offense RCBill). If they want great customer service, with a detailed quote that wont go up in price after the job is done, that will back their work with a guarantee or they dont pay...call me.

Jon, like in a previous post and you enlightened me...I need to make what I am worth. I know that in the previous years I havent done that and that needs to change. I agree with Rob that yeah, 150 is probably right by the time you break down everything from paying a guy xxx dollars an hour to paying a guy to tune up your truck. There are many expenses that many dont associate with the business, but they are business expenses.

Like I mentioned in my post, I meant no disrespect to Rob and his company. I made well over $100 an hour on that job. With that being said maybe our expense stucture is different. I have seen Rob's vehicles, equipment, ad in the phone books, so forth and so on. For him to have that stuff he needs to charge xxx. I dont have all of that, even though I do have expenses they are probably much lower than his. So for me to make my target xxx I need to charge a rate that probably falls much lower than his.

But I admit, the rate that I charged on that house was probably too low. It takes time to see what the market will bear price wise. Will I was happy making over 100 an hour on that house, chances are very easily I could have made close to 200 an hour. I guess thats were inexperience and selling on price comes in.

Those two items will not be an issue in 07.

Keep in mind Don, on a bid like that, Rob would have already had 3-4hrs. invested before he even fired up a machine (out and back for a bid/out to start the wash). I think Rob's point was that you cannot count that as "free time".

I understand this. This is why I am hoping all of us STL guys can network together. He may have been able to stay at home and collect a check for just making a phone call.

The bottom line is WE ALL HAVE TO RAISE OUR PRICES DRASTICALLY.. Only if your prices need to be raised.

I know that sounds weird but it's true, if we want to raise credibility to our industry, and stick together.Credibility doesn't come with higher prices. It comes with being credible.My prices will jump 20% across the board in 07 this is as a skilled craft no different than Plumbers, Electricians, etc.. and we should be compensated so.. If you need to raise your prices by 20% that simply means that your prices are too low.We have tons of overhead, headaches, etc.. This is one of the reason s I hear from so many customers that the guy that washed their deck, house, whatever 2-4 years ago is no longer in BIZ, then I tell them, you know why..? he made no money on his jobs, and decided to get out , A lot of hacks go out of business every year, & not just because of their prices. Their credibility probably had a lot to do with it too.I cant tell you how many customers tell me that every year, it is in the hundreds, I hear that all the time too. I don't get scared though. I know what I'm doing and the idiot that thay are talking about did not know what he was doing.so word to the wise, if your not billing minimum $150 an hour or close to it, you would be better off getting a job at Walmart, or Macdonalds, Rephrase - If you don't #1 - Master your craft, #2 - Have a good handle on your business plan & goals, #3 - Use advertising that works, #4 - Learn how to close the sale, #5 - Use professional equip, chems, & ethics, #6 - Perform every job professionally, #7 Charge accordingly - You will definately go out of business!!!!! However, if you do all of these things, you will succeed!

Jon,

But I admit, the rate that I charged on that house was probably too low. It takes time to see what the market will bear price wise. Will I was happy making over 100 an hour on that house, chances are very easily I could have made close to 200 an hour. I guess thats were inexperience and selling on price comes in.

If you made a hundred dollars an hour and were using a 5 GPM machine for this job you did good. If you had an 8 GPM machine you may have done the house in half the time which would have put you per hour rate at $150-200 dollar an hour range.

I'm gonna really step on toes here but to me a house wash is a fixed price commodity. The quality of chems, speed and technique, proper planning and size capacity of equipment are what determines what your per hour net rate ends up being.

I mean if i do a house today for $350.00 (let's assume it takes me 3 hours) with my 4 GPM machine. Now this summer I buy an 8 gpm machine and can do it in an hour and a half now, Is my price going down to $225.00???

Or say i bid another house with my 8 GPM machine for $450.00, and that machine breaks, and I have to use a 4 GPM backup machine. Does my price go to $900.00 so I can make $150.00 per hour??

I personally think you are confusing newer people with these mandatory rates you think everybody should be charging. Strictly MY opinion though. I know it is for the good of the industry you are discussing this, but I think more is involved than a mandatory rate.

Scott

Scott, I agree your equipment will help you with your dollar per hour increase. I know Jarrod will be touching on that subject at the St. Louis Roundtable the end of Feb.

I charge xx amount per linear foot per story. So as I've gotten faster over the past couple years that is like giving myself a raise. If I buy an 8gpm next spring I will still charge the same xx amount per foot and the hourly rate is what it is.