Sign in to follow this  
usarose

Hi Pressure Hose 50/100/200 foot. What do you use?

Thanks - I am now a TGS member.

I use black hose R2 (4500psi + 2 wire) 3/8" for my portable PW unit that has a cox hose reel attached. I use a 100'+50'lengths - my theory is when the 50' length on the end wears out, it does not cost that much to replace just the end piece. Problem is it does not roll on well, because of the join, but is a useful length for most small jobs.

Does anyone do as I do and buy 50' hoses still?

Does anyone use this same theory?

How long does your hose last?

When I get my big unit in 2/3 weeks time (10GPM/15GPM) , I will have a 300' electric reel and I want to use 1/2" R2 hose on that reel. Should I use 100/200/300 foot lengths - all in 1/2" or at least the 1st 100' in 1/2" and the balance in 3/8 ???????

Please let us know what you use and your advice on this subject. I tried to find if this was covered in any other forums - if this is an old subject please forgive my ignorance and direct me to that post.

I have 2 100 foot sections of 3/8' 2 wire non marking hose. They are about to be retired to backup duty as I am getting new hose after the first of the year.

That's an impressive set up. You bought two machines 10gpm and 15gpm? TOTAL = 25gpm? What kind of engine/pump combination are you running?

I use (2) 100ft lengths of 3/8 gray non-marking 4500psi 2 wire hose on my stackable hose track reel. I use stainless steel couplers.

I do keep an extra 50 feet in my van as back up and for extending the hose or by itself for small jobs. Like Scott says, too many joints are a pain.

I like your idea of using 1/2 for the first 100' and 3/8 for the second 100'. Since you are running a TON of gpm that 1/2 would help with the flow and the 3/8 would help with ease of use, less weight.

I run 150' lengths and will usually do 1 repair before replacing it. I replace them then because I cannot stand splices. Cost wise 50 or 100' lengths are the way to go. Mine will last about 6-8 months before they blow a hole about 25' back from pulling on the trailers, otherwise the casing lasts me a long time and we are washing on concrete and asphalt 5 days a week, mostly tractors and trailers.

If you are washing trailers and tractors your hose will usually blow about 25' back where it catches on the feet. If you are going to run a real long length like that you can get a 200' hose and run a 100' on the end and replace that section as it wears. Invest in the 2 wire hose and you will not be sorry.

That's an impressive set up. You bought two machines 10gpm and 15gpm? TOTAL = 25gpm? What kind of engine/pump combination are you running? quote].

Mike.

I have 2 pumps a 10GPM(with jetter feature) and a 5GPM if I couple the pumps then I will have 15GPM. We have a Clean and Recovery dual axle setup with 2 x 37HP Kohler engines. Also driven by these 2 engines are, a 5MP Sutorbilt blower, a 3.500W generator and a compressor for a diaphragm pump. I only take delivery in 2 weeks time and only have some pictures of our R&D unit that were taken at the recent GA Roundtable.

Rob

attachment.php?attachmentid=6326&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1165290751 attachment.php?attachmentid=6327&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1165290751 attachment.php?attachmentid=6328&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1165290751

i cary 5-6 100" lengths and use them until they blow. when they blow i repair them only once, second time they are in the garbage. for the cheap price of a hose its not worth having to pull off a job because you have a worn out hose blow again

i don't see the need for 4500 psi hose if you are not exceding that psi. it is just more weight to carry around.

i also use s.s. plugs and couplers. they normally outlast the hoses. I am currently using goodyear neptune single wire 4000 psi. i have considered dropping to a lower psi hose because it would be lighter.

i don't see the need for 4500 psi hose if you are not exceding that psi. it is just more weight to carry around.

Jim

I could not tell the weight difference between regular and the 4500psi hose but if weight is a problem then I would highly highly reccomend a ZK1 unloader - its like going on vacation - an absolute pleasure. When you release the trigger the hose which is normally rigid and heavy, turns limp and lifeless - when you pull the trigger again, there a 1/4 second lag till you are back at full power.

Try it you wont be sorry.

Rob

i i have considered dropping to a lower psi hose because it would be lighter.

I'm confused, for the burly dude that I thought you were and then you go and use girly hose, wanting an even smaller little girly hose.

Honestly Jim, do you really feel a difference dragging the different types around? I went from 3/8" R2 to 1/2" R2 and cannot feel the extra 10 pounds on the ground. My shoulders have gotten wider though, Coincidence????

I went from 3/8" R2 to 1/2" R2 and cannot feel the extra 10 pounds on the ground. My shoulders have gotten wider though, Coincidence????

Alan

A while ago you said that you would be replacing all your 3/8" R2 hose to 1/2" R2 hose - how has that turned out - probably too soon to say if your hoses are lasting longer but I am sure you will find less backpressure on your pumps will give longer service intervals.

Rob

I keep 2 100' sections of 4000 psi Goodyear non-marking hose on my hose reel. I also have another 100' section and 2 50' sections on hand. Where do you get the hose repairs kits?

Thanks,

Mike

Alan

A while ago you said that you would be replacing all your 3/8" R2 hose to 1/2" R2 hose - how has that turned out - probably too soon to say if your hoses are lasting longer but I am sure you will find less backpressure on your pumps will give longer service intervals.

Rob

I was trying out various 1/2" hose to see what I liked since my favorite Neptune 4500 is not made in 1/2". I so far like a hose from Hydrotek the best, just oredered another one I liked it so much.

I still have 3/8" hose for back up and extra reach, but when it is worn out, 3/8" will be history. I do not recall the numbers on the psi gauge, but the difference between the 2 is worth it to me.

I use a solid 200 foot length, its 4500 psi 2 wires and all rigs carry and additional 100 ft length.

I prefer a solid length with no couplers. I use male female connections. The only place I use a quick connect is at the gun and surface cleaner.

This is together

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/RonMusgraves1/coupler2.jpg?t=1166802407

Apart

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n132/RonMusgraves1/coupler1.jpg?t=1166802453

Ron

Thanks for your time the other day - it was very informative. I like your idea of solid connections as they would roll easier onto the hose reel. Do you have a hose crimper to put these on or do you use a local hydraulic hose shop. Which brings me to my next question - do you or anybody else for that matter buy your hose in baulk on a big roll and cut and crimp when needed - if so is that a big saving?

Prices...

I have recently paid $90 for 100' R2 3/8

and $150 for 100' R2 1/2 all with male /female couplings.

Rob

Where do you get the hose repairs kits?

Thanks,

Mike

I'm sure Russ ,Bob, or Paul carry them. I bought several as back ups from Steve Rowlett when I started a couple of years ago. They were like 6 bucks or so back then.

Here is a picture

Hope this helps

Scott

post-1087-137772171805_thumb.jpg

I'm sure Russ ,Bob, or Paul carry them. I bought several as back ups from Steve Rowlett when I started a couple of years ago. They were like 6 bucks or so back then.

Here is a picture

Hope this helps

Scott

Scott, you should be able to get the connects for about .87 for solid and swivel for about 1.45

I do buy the by the hundreds but even if you dont, tack on another .50 each.

He was actually asking about hose.

your local rubber supplier is about the best place to get Hose. We live near a goodyear factory in goodyear arizona.

PW distributors often have good prices but if you set up and account with a hydrolic of rubber supplier and can afford to buy larger amounts your going to save 20% to 30%

Prices...

I have recently paid $150 for 100' R2 1/2 all with male /female couplings.

Rob

Rob,

What are the specs on that hose? Mine is R2 5800 psi 275°. Price is $271.00 per 100 and that was the best deal I could find. That I am willing to spend that much more for a hose, should show what a difference 1/2" is over 3/8" on an 8 gpm machine.