Sign in to follow this  
DanMc

Panhandlers

Question

I almost lost it today with this guy asking for money. The Home Depot I go to sometimes is in a sketchy part of town, and it seems like about 2 out of 3 times I go there I am stopped by some guy asking for "a few dollars for gas" or something similar.

I hate giving these guys money, because it most likely ends up being spent at the liquor store down the road.

What do I say to get rid of these people quickly?. How do you deal with these situations?

18 answers to this question

Unless I'm moved and want to help them, generally just a "no" works well. Their success ratio is about the same as that of telemarketers that call my house, and I respond the exact same way, "no thanks" or "no" or "leave me alone".

I had picked up a combo meal from some fast food joint and was passing a panhandler on the exit ramp of the interstate. I was in a particularly good mood so I put down the window and gave it to him...I mean, if you're begging for money to buy food, I just saved him the trip to the food place, right? Apparently he wasn't really hungry because when I passed the same spot two hours later, he was gone and the food was sitting on the ground, unwrapped and untouched. That was going to be a really good sandwich, too. The ******* didn't even have the decency to dispose of it properly

We draw all the freaks when on a job more than anywhere else.Everythig from I need gas to my kid needs diapers(yeah at 2am you decided to go buy diapers).I tell them I was hoping they were going to give me money so I didn't have to work at 2am.Then tell them I guess we are both broke.

I did ask one guy what he would use the money for and he actually said to buy a beer.Since he was honest I gave him $2.

I never carry cash. ;) If they ask why, I tell them it is because I do not like having homeless people asking for money.

I have been known to give money on occasion. One time I was cleaning something, and a bum was sleeping behind it, but his bottle was in front. As part of the service I threw the bottle away. It was something that I always do. That woke him up and he was complaining that I tossed his bottle. I was in a particularly good mood, and so I gave him $5. You would have thought he won the lottery. He could not get to the store fast enough.

When I moved to Texas there were tons of panhandlers around. I was not used to it, coming from a small town in Missouri. I gave a few dollars here and there, but learned really quick to stop.

One day, a panhandler was in front of a grocery store asking for money. I pulled out a $5 bukk and gave it to him. I entered the store, got what I needed and went to the checkout stand. There he was, in front of me with beer........

Another story, one of my in-laws was building a deck on the back of his house. He needed an extra hand. He thought to get one of the panhandles to help, feed him and pay a decent wage until the work was finished. When he went to a corner where they were at, they asked how much is he willing to pay. He said 8-9 bucks an hour, and they say screw you....."I make more money here on the corner....."

:lgsideway

When I moved to Texas there were tons of panhandlers around. I was not used to it, coming from a small town in Missouri. I gave a few dollars here and there, but learned really quick to stop.

One day, a panhandler was in front of a grocery store asking for money. I pulled out a $5 bukk and gave it to him. I entered the store, got what I needed and went to the checkout stand. There he was, in front of me with beer........

Another story, one of my in-laws was building a deck on the back of his house. He needed an extra hand. He thought to get one of the panhandles to help, feed him and pay a decent wage until the work was finished. When he went to a corner where they were at, they asked how much is he willing to pay. He said 8-9 bucks an hour, and they say screw you....."I make more money here on the corner....."

:lgsideway

Chris,

Welcome to TGS.We don't often we see car detailers show up here.

There was a woman in Toronto referred to as the shaking lady.

She used to sit at a very busy intersection downtown with the cardboard sign please help,the shoal around her shoulders,with what appeared to be an uncontrolable shakeing problem. A news team decided to do a segment on the homeless.They watched from a distance.At the end of the day they followed this perticular woman.Eventually she made it a few blocks,got into her two year old BMW and went to her home in the burbs.

I've seen a guy with a vietnam war vet sign in his lap while in a wheel chair,close up the wheel chair,push it between two buildings and walk into a pizza joint for a bite.

On a slight different note, In Canada to qualify as a charitable organization you only have to donate 10% of the procedes.The rest can be used to cover administative costs.

I'm not bitter,just a little apprehensive as to who can have any of my hard earnrd $$$$$$$.

This is a good topic. I get approched every single night i am out, soon as i turn on the geneator and my lights kick on.All of a sudden they come out of the woods or out from under a rock.

I got so sick of it that i went and got myself, and trained a great dog.This was the best success i have found, no one will come any where near us.Most of the time these people are harmless hobo's or just strung out drunk's.

But i have run in to a few that will not take no for an answer, and this is where it can get real ugly.We do alot of work in some undesireable locations and although i am leagally armed to protect my workers and myself, sometimes you dont hear them approach or even see them because of the engines running and the blarring lights.

So with DUKE on guard ther is no more problems.

post-1950-137772173207_thumb.jpg

No one from DC? Oh man Oh Man, Ya wana talk about beggers. Out of many stories I will tell ya this one...

I was in dc on Benning Rd and Minnisota (sp?). 3am in the morning last winter. I was winterizing the rig and I saw this guy heading twords me. I turned the Ipod off But acted as I did not see Him. When he got up to me he acting all aplogetic for walking up behind me. Ha! I told him He was nuts, He doesnt know who I am, I mean come on, A white guy in DC at 3 am? Then he asked me for money... He needed to buy transmision fluid for his car to get home to WALDORF, MD. He "wasn't from the city" said, then he told me how his 3 year old twins were still in the car waiting for him. Holding back laughter, I told him no, and asked him why he thought I was in DC at 3 am. WOrking OF course cause I need money too! He left I laughed then got yelled at by my wife for bieng "confortational" (sp?) I usally just say no tho.

oh and by the way, GRETTINGS FROM SUNNY CABO SAN LUCAS! going snorkling now!

Here in Atlanta, GA we had as spell where you would find in the busiest intersections near the financial district a whole cadre of charity soliciting bums. All dressed in white outfits, the females looked like nurses the males in white slacks and shirts with red arm bands or something and they held out a bucket with a message like "please help the missionaries who take care of the poor little hungry homeless drug addicted alcoholic destitute children". When the news media got into it to do a feature these guys just vanished into thin air. There are scammers galore out there and these were the best act in town.

I like the silent approach. They ask and I just keep on doing what I am doing at the moment. Works very well for me. Not sure where I got it, but I have a very large "does not play well with others" sign flashing on my forehead.

I find it real funny when they see me coming out of a store and they turn away to act as if they did not see me, so they do not have to ask for anything and get my cold shoulder.

Whatever it is, it works well for me.

I don't get much of this either. I think it is because I spent so much time in truckstops across the nation, there is always somebody that just needs a couple of bucks for gas to get home, or to get food for the kids, always something. I learned to exude the "Do I look like a caring guy?" vibe. More than once, I'd walk up to the fuel desk, and the person on duty would ask me what was the matter. "You look like you're having a bad day," wasn't a surprising greeting from fuel desk girls to me!

I'd always laugh and tell them that I am smiling, and that they should see me scowl sometime!

The strange part of this is that it isn't unusual for me to give a buck or two, if I feel like it. I don't even usually care how they spend it, since once I give it up, it isn't mine anyway. I guess he isn't going to get cable in the cardboard box, or endow a research facility with my pocket change, so if he wants to get wasted, Cheers!

When I was a kid, I used to run with a crowd that frequented areas favored by the out-of-doors set, so I'd buy a couple of gut-bombs and make them tell me a story if they wanted one. They usually ate like they were afraid I'd take it away, and the stories were usually just too wild.

I've mellowed in the last few years though, because I usually just tell people I don't have any money on me on the rare occasions when I do get asked these days.

That, or I speak in gibberish that sounds vaguely Eastern European while gesturing wildly and getting louder. They usually get the idea that Latka doesn't donate.:lgsideway

Chris,

Welcome to TGS.We don't often we see car detailers show up here.

Thanks. I have been looking into adding some pressure washing to my services, since I am mobile. Figured making a little extra here and there wouldn't hurt.

BTW....PM sent.....

Went shopping earlier, and a homeless guy with a dog was sitting in the parking lot on one of the islands. As we walked by, my son reached out to pet the dog, and the guy said ".25 cents please"

I asked him if his petting zoo was licensed and he shutup real fast. Some nerve asking my kid for change. I wanted to kick his teeth in, but that wouldn't be very nice I guess. That is if he had any.