Sign in to follow this  
Lenny Schrec

Restora?

Question

Has anyone else gotten a call from Flood this week about Restora?

I got a call from them Tuesday morning and was told that they are nolonger producing or promoting Restora. John told me that Akzo Nobel Decorative Coatings ( I believe that is the name) that makes Sikkens stain bought Flood and they will be consentrating on wood care. They have some stock now that our suppliers can order.

I was getting gear up to push Restora this year. I have seen another product that is made for painted steel and fiberglass. I am going to chack it out on vinyl. I tested a spot on my garage 3 years ago and it still shows up better then the rest.

16 answers to this question

I do know the Flood reps will be discussing the decision at the Round Table. As I understand it, A N is one of the world's largest coatings manufacturer and their primary focus is on wood. These folks are out of Amsterdam - land of no vinyl. On the upside, they are introducing a composite deck cleaner since that product is making its way into the European market to compete with real wood. Who knows....maybe they won't stop with the Restora :) Europe may eventually see a benefit to that product as well ?

Celeste

So much for their marketing blitz promoting Restora. What was that all about? I pretty much decided it was a loser (for my company) as a viable add-on so no big deal. But what if I had already launched a marketing campaign geared towards promoting the service? A.N is a good company. Maybe they will drop (or redevelop) CWF as well.

Akzo Nobel is a multi billion dollar company. The manufacture coating for the hulls of ships...planes...autos...and then they also have decorative coatings and wood items as well, but they have heavy duty industrial stuff. They are HUGE. I used to sell software to them many moons ago...

Beth

I just requested a bunch of point of sale materials from them too!

I was going to push it as well this Summer. I was really interested in that and it seems to work well on the shutters. I have a demo shutter I was going to use as onsite demo with the p.o.s. materials they are sending ( or will they?). I like the stuff.

Too bad, they gave the stuff such a push towards the end of last year.

Thought it would take off.

Ken,

A.N is a good company. Maybe they will drop (or redevelop) CWF as well.

Careful what you wish for. Failing CWF generates more calls to my wood restoration business than any other product.

what a disapointment. I went out to Ohio two times last year, bought and distributed doorhangers, yard signs, vehicle signs. I've done five shudder jobs, booked my first entire home. Did a three day home show at the Mall advertising Restora. Also, I've been advertising "restora" in my print ad for the last few months in lue of deck restoration.

The real kicker is I have been lazy about getting my cooperative advertising money - I wonder if they will pay that.

Oh well, live and learn. Though, I'm not to sure what I've learned - Iwas teaming up with an established Company with what I thought was a quality product to fill a huge customer need. I'm not sure what I should have done different.

I feel even worse for Tom Vogel, He has spent more time and money than anybody I know promoting this product.

Tim, I would contact them. Sixty days ago they were pushing this stuff so hard. You have legitimate expenses that should be compensated. Maybe they will throw you a bone. If it were me I wouldn't stop until all of my marketing material was paid for.

I just found out about Restora. We have it planned for our business this year. We will follow up and continue to market Restora. If you never planned on using it, you gain nothing. We have an investment, time and money, so it will work for us. It has been our most profitable jobs last year and hopefuly will continue to do so this year. Flood's CWF & CWF-UV5 isn't the same product. The UV5 is very nice to work with and will not come off. The Flood company has been a Great company for us to work with and hopefully AzoNobel will continue our relationship. They are a very dedicated company and know the wood business. Thank You.

post-2261-137772173687_thumb.jpg

Stephen Carter, the Flood rep, is going to the NC RT next weekend. This guy wants to make friends. Tim, hit him up to fix the coop marketing thing. I don't see him not fixing this. Also, it'd be a good time to get on the contractor program, just ask. And ask for samples. He's sending me some of his water-borne stain to try out.

squirtgun,

We were an original tester for Restora. We have no problem holding the warranty for Restora or any of the Flood products we use. We stand behind every project we do. We use no inferior products or poor workmanship. If a product fails, the manufacturer warranty will be used. If our workmanship is inferior, we should be responsible. Thank You.

The Flood company seems to be in the business of discontinuing products. they had this product called 'brush stuff' and you mixed it into your paint brush and made your brushes easier to clean and the paint came right off - much less drag. Well - they discontinued the product right after I became a fan of it.

Celeste, Does Flood have Kool-Aid or similar potion?

LOL - No Ken, no Kool-Aid :) There is a strong desire though to continue supporting their contractors and helping them through issues.

Celeste