Sign in to follow this  
copgib

Walmart/Sams Club

Question

How many of you contractors recieved a packet through email from Walmarts/Sams Club Corporate Office? I just recieved it today, requesting a proposal for Sidewalk & Cart Cleaning Exterior Cleaning Program. I am just curious how many of you will apply. Hugh

27 answers to this question

Michael, I read it and it is not for me. First of all right now I do not reclaim and I work by myself. They are looking for a company that can handle all there stores in the state. I have heard they are real cheap on paying you a good wage and I am sure they will have all kinds of rules for you to follow. I do not like working under those conditions. But it was nice to see that they considered my business when they were looking for contractors. Take care and tell me what you think! Hugh

I think that for the company thats already set up for reclaim, with several trucks, it will be good. Waaay to much for me. the frequency of cleaning is not enough. I have done some sams clubs and quarterly for them will be alright, but for the walmarts, they need to be done monthly or every other month minimum.

A lot of work,a lot of prep a tremendous amount of gum, work only at night. I was coming back from another night time job when I looked over and some guys were doing our local wal-mart, so me being the curious type I stopped. Talked to the guy and turns out I knew him. He was telling me they were doing the concrete and removing gum for 250.00 a store. I looked at it and I wouldn't have touched for less than 500.00 he said that was all they were willing to pay. I do the Sams club next door for a whole lot more money. A few years ago I bid a super wal-mart the entire front and sides the flat work including gum removal. The bid was around 3500.00 The Mgr told me if I would do it for 2200 I could have the job.I turned around and walked away. I know wal-mart is famous for paying low and I can't see this being any different.

A little too strict I think. Submit testing samples of the reclaimed water? Seriously.

10-4 to that!! They have some unreal expectations.I was looking thru all the paperwork and they said that they would give me a 48 hour notice before they came to my place of buisness and looked thru my books, I dont think soooo!!!

Its a bluff I tell you. Biggest problem I see is the frequency. I am not aware of any companies in CA that could pull off doing the whole State. Walmart is asking for quarterly cleaning at most locations and in my area some stores get cleaned 4 to 5 times a week on a regular basis. Talk about screwing the schedule up.

Subcontractors while they are discouraged from being used, can be used if they are approved vendors of Walmart. The actual contract holder will never want that to happen.

no kidding,

interesting thing about the holidays with walmart....ALL employees must work through them....or your FIRED....its a story to say the least.

Well, as with anything else dealing with a mega-corporation like Walmart, I'm sure that's at least a slight exaggeration. I doubt if you develop pneumonia and are admitted to the hospital, or if you have a baby, or if you fall off your roof and break a leg, that Walmart will fire you for not working Christmas Eve.

However, I CAN understand their expectation that employees work those days, which are some of their busiest days...When you go to work in retail, you know you're going to have to work weekends, holidays, busy times. I used to work in a small grocery store as a meatcutter...We were open Saturdays, and that was by far our busiest day. No one ever got off work on Saturdays, except in extremem situations or if they were on vacation that week. You just accepted that you have to work...It doesn't make Walmart evil for expecting people to work during the busy times...That's what they're there for.

Well, as with anything else dealing with a mega-corporation like Walmart, I'm sure that's at least a slight exaggeration. I doubt if you develop pneumonia and are admitted to the hospital, or if you have a baby, or if you fall off your roof and break a leg, that Walmart will fire you for not working Christmas Eve.

However, I CAN understand their expectation that employees work those days, which are some of their busiest days...When you go to work in retail, you know you're going to have to work weekends, holidays, busy times. I used to work in a small grocery store as a meatcutter...We were open Saturdays, and that was by far our busiest day. No one ever got off work on Saturdays, except in extremem situations or if they were on vacation that week. You just accepted that you have to work...It doesn't make Walmart evil for expecting people to work during the busy times...That's what they're there for.

Not quite an exaggeration Mr Williamson,

We purchased tickets for my in-laws to come visit us this past christmas. Purchased well in advance to the holidays...like August/Sept...plenty of notice. Mother in law requested the time off...8+ year employee btw...denied the time off....we hate to waste money...so they came...she returned....three days later....We have to let you go..."insubordination"....I wonder how many executives worked the holidays?

I'm sorry but 4 months advance notice...

We purchased tickets for my in-laws to come visit us this past christmas. Purchased well in advance to the holidays...like August/Sept...plenty of notice. Mother in law requested the time off...8+ year employee btw...denied the time off....we hate to waste money...so they came...she returned....three days later....We have to let you go..."insubordination"....I wonder how many executives worked the holidays?

Let's see...requested time off during one of the busiest times of the year, was denied, and took the time off anyway? I'd have fired her too.

Isn't it wise to request time off BEFORE buying tickets/making plans???

My wife works a great company, but if she requested time off, was denied because she couldn't be spared by the company at that time, and took the time off anyway, she'd be fired. Doesn't matter if she requested it a year in advance, if she was denied, she deserved to be fired if she just took off anyway.

Is your mother in law an executive? If not, she shouldn't expect to have the same benefits as an executive.

To expect the executives to work in their offices simply because the stores are busy is just silly...That argument doesn't hold water. Sorry.

Hope the trip was worth it!

It was a great visit.

Any company that places themselves as a priority over family is not worth working for.

Plus, she had a standing offer to make $5 an hour more elsewhere.

Let's see...requested time off during one of the busiest times of the year, was denied, and took the time off anyway? I'd have fired her too.

Isn't it wise to request time off BEFORE buying tickets/making plans???

My wife works a great company, but if she requested time off, was denied because she couldn't be spared by the company at that time, and took the time off anyway, she'd be fired. Doesn't matter if she requested it a year in advance, if she was denied, she deserved to be fired if she just took off anyway.

Is your mother in law an executive? If not, she shouldn't expect to have the same benefits as an executive.

To expect the executives to work in their offices simply because the stores are busy is just silly...That argument doesn't hold water. Sorry.

Can you spell UNION!!

Unions Like I said somewhere else that they don't always work in the workplace but in some instances they do such as this. Totaly Garbage that the lady had to ask 4 months in advance and still get denied and then more or less get canned with there "insubordination" end all of end alls.

As we get older we do lose a step on some young up and comings and because of this should the older people be put out on the curb?? Never..This is where I would be Union thru and thru...But like I said on another bb us being business owners no matter how nice we are to our employee's we/you should never ever want a Union to latch onto your company..and one of the ways to do this if you ever get big is to treat your employees fairly and never forget that as a business owner who has just about absolute power with your own company...well you know what they say"Absolute Power Corrupts" and that is why you saw the birth of unions back in the day.

It was a great visit.

Any company that places themselves as a priority over family is not worth working for.

Plus, she had a standing offer to make $5 an hour more elsewhere.

Well good for her!

And anyone wanting to spend a lot of time with family during the holidays really should re-think the concept of getting a job at a retailer who is going to be horribly busy during those holidays!

Was Walmart expecting her to work 16 hours a day, 7 days/week? If not, didn't she have plenty of time for family when she wasn't working?

There are a LOT of people who didn't get to take a vacation during the holidays...That's just the nature of retail.

Can you spell UNION!!

Unions Like I said somewhere else that they don't always work in the workplace but in some instances they do such as this. Totaly Garbage that the lady had to ask 4 months in advance and still get denied and then more or less get canned with there "insubordination" end all of end alls.

As we get older we do lose a step on some young up and comings and because of this should the older people be put out on the curb?? Never..This is where I would be Union thru and thru...But like I said on another bb us being business owners no matter how nice we are to our employee's we/you should never ever want a Union to latch onto your company..and one of the ways to do this if you ever get big is to treat your employees fairly and never forget that as a business owner who has just about absolute power with your own company...well you know what they say"Absolute Power Corrupts" and that is why you saw the birth of unions back in the day.

Unions typically aren't good for anyone.

You miss the point (I hope). She was told "No, you can't have the time off" and she took it ANYWAY.

If the rules say "No one takes off during the "holidays", then why would someone think that just because they ask 4 months in advance, they should be entitled to the time off, AND should be entitled to take the time anyway once they're told no???

Unions SUCK.

You miss the point (I hope). She was told "No, you can't have the time off" and she took it ANYWAY.

If the rules say "No one takes off during the "holidays", then why would someone think that just because they ask 4 months in advance, they should be entitled to the time off, AND should be entitled to take the time anyway once they're told no???

I didn't read the whole thread so I might have mispoke. My Union ruled but some others do as you say suck..

Unions are like welfare. Thay started out as what seemed to be necessary at the time and then came back and bit the country in the a$$. I think that both should be abolished because they make people LAZY.

Gary, I hate to say there has to be more to that story.

As a former manager that worked for Wal-Mart there has to be more to that. There has to be several steps involved before she is shown the door.

She made the decison to go anyway after being told no. She had to suffer some sort of consequences. If she was a three day no call no show then yeah, she was probably let go. But my gut feeling tells me there is more to it than you know.