Sign in to follow this  
Tegrey

Deck Prep

On this defelting.... can you folk tell me what grit you like to end at before staining? And does it matter for you if it is a penetrating sealer or a top coat type you'll be using?. 80? 120?, etc.

I been doing research on simply making my own Hexpin type driver for standard rotary floor machines that can be used with stones, pads, etc. to remove all sorts of coatings, or in this case sand & polish, on large areas. HD rents a 17" driver which comes with very aggressive stripper heads or chippers that would likely take off most paints. Pearl Abrasives sells it and other attachments for concrete diamond grinding or sanding pads. Problem is the rotary marks it will leave if I don't step down abrasive levels sufficiently.

120 grit is fine for vct before acrylic topping and crete starts to be considered actually polished up past about 1000 grit .. so where everyone stand on the wood??

Reasons I want to just make this item relate to the size of my floor machines and ability to use it on autoscrubber in wet surface conditions.. The pads, attachments, and the shafts that drive them are same size as on hand tools yet the driver costs close to $400 not counting accessories.

p.s. thinks we now got all the keywords.. deburring, defurring, fuzzies, defelting...lol

Makita 9227C with 3M pads for defurring, touch up. Have yet to try the osbourne brushes or McMaster-Carr spinoffs but will soon.

I'm with Larry on sanding, but I never use anything finer that 60 grit on exterior wood. But thats because I use a penetrating stain.

I have access to a Milwaukee 7/9" 6066-6 or 6088-20 grinder/sander/pollisher Cheap. Does anyone know if there is going to be a reason I shouldn't but it instead of the Makita

Thanks Ken. That's why I asked. Guess now I know what to look for.

Can I also assume I'm looking for a variable (controllable) speed ??

The 6078 has 5 settings with a 0-6000 rpm setting. $65 brand new (reg.$199).A friend gets it through his work. BUT, if it's not the right tool, it's not such a great deal.

Beth - I mistakenly bought one of those 9xxx series makita grinders with the 10,000 rpm speed. My nephew glazed the wood in spots - and then showed him how to keep it moving. As long as you keep it moving around - it doesn't close the grain - it's just a whole heck of a lot harder to use. But now it's spinning so fast - your forced to buff a lot of area fast! And that makes my labor rates go up.

You just can't buff spindles very easily with the speed