Sign in to follow this  
troymclur

Olympic Stain

Question

33 answers to this question

We have had great success using the OMAX stain.

For stain that can be purchased from box store I think it holds up well.We rarely do wood anymore,but all of the decks we used the OMAX on 3 yrs ago still look good,most are due for maintenance now,but the stain has not failed.

Prep is the most important part of applying any stain.Prep it right and the stain will the job it's designed to do.

I have been using Olympic Max exclusively for about 4 years. They guarantee not to gray for 3 years - and it doesn't. Honey Gold and Cedar Naturaltone are my favorites.

I just recently stripped a 3 1/2 year old Honey Gold deck (still looked great) and resealed with Cedar. OMax strips VERY easily (downstreamed stripper) with low pressure. I apply with a backpack sprayer, brush and 6" foam roller. Almost impossible to leave a drip or lap mark.

I put a test sample of olympic max natural cedartone on a long time customers deck and she loved it. She is a 3 yr repeat customer and great for referrals. She did not like the cwf uv5 cedar[ too red] and honey gold[ too yellow] . My business model calls for a soap and water cleanup product that has a 2-3 yr turnaround on repeat customers. Most call from a referral and just say " i want my deck to look like so and so's deck". Color has never been a option with the uv sunblock cedar stock color everyone loved it. I think I have a winner with this olympic product because this customer is very pickey. Time is money and I have wasted too much time this spring letting customers decide on their color . I'm back on track to just get these decks done. I have read all the posts on ready seal and wtw but my price structure would have to go up considerably for a hand stain and mineral spirits cleanup product. Just what works for me!!!

Scott, have you used The waterborne version, they converted it last year or the year before. Its is basically like WTW mixed with water, only a lot thinner. Alkyd/oil resins emusified to use water for carrier. The cedar tone is a very nice color. I have used the water formula early last year.

Lyle,

We did a PT porch early this year wiith the OMAX,but it was the oil based.It was teh 1st wood resto we have done in over 2 yrs.We no longer pursue it,but if it comes to us and they will pay the prices I charge we get-r-done.

The cedar tone is the only color option I have ever offered in the OMAX.I found out early on if I gave customers to many color choices they couldn't make up their minds or wanted to change half way through staining.

Tell me about it! a good natural tone stain can turn out a lot of decks. Stain choices just eat time thats hard to price into the deal. I've found over 16 yrs that each deck sucks up different amounts of stain and the final color never looks like a sample . I started a olympic cedar deck[too windy mon. to spray ] and will finish today. I hope to remember to take a final picture. I would like to try the honey gold too before I decide on the final color I push. Custom mixed colors just cause problems buying too much or too little.

wE finished the job today . the left side is bright sunshine and to the right is a shade line in the darker part. the true color is not as bright as the camera makes it. I will try the honey gold next .

post-2354-137772178142_thumb.jpg

pressure treated - yes olympic cedar natural tone I was looking at the pictures of the same deck on my website I did before and they look simular . The problem is the camera doesn't get color just right. I liked the way it looked and it had a rich look to it

I noticed thAt the first time I did this deck [this is #3] . I used to build decks before I power washed. I would have angled the deck boards to give it a better appearance and keep it from racking

Shane

Would you please post your spray gun and tip size you use with your Sure Flow set up. I can't find that post.

I think I'm going to try Olympic again this year. I can't get a lot of the stains some of you guys use.

Shane

Would you please post your spray gun and tip size you use with your Sure Flow set up. I can't find that post.

I think I'm going to try Olympic again this year. I can't get a lot of the stains some of you guys use.

dsc00869sm7.jpg

dsc00871ng1.jpg

dsc00879wand2nr5gi8.jpg

6502/6503 Tee Jet Tip

I can buy any sprayer I want but I use a campbel hausefield $300 sprayer with an upgraded crayco gun[$100]. I started using them 11 yrs ago and am only on my second sprayer. That puts their cost at a minimum on each job. They can be rebuilt simply by unbolting the head and refilling the hydraulic fluid . I bought a highrer $$ sprayer before but the pressure was too high. I figured why mess with a good thing and stuck with my old one. I look for profit not just buying fancy toys.

Shane

I would have pm'd this question, "BUT" I don't know how. Computers are not my forte'.

I finally found a supplier up here for the wand and tip, and have ordered it. Should be in next week. I've got 7 decks to finish ASAP.

Anyhow, question is, Is that a 1.6 gpm pump ???

I tested a wand off a steel Chapin concrete sealer pump sprayer and a 3 gpm Shurflo that I already had, needless to say it would spray like a male cat, and go through stain in a hurry.

Let me know if you don't mind me giving you a quick phone call and if so a time that might be appropriate ???

Thanks.

Shane

I would have pm'd this question, "BUT" I don't know how. Computers are not my forte'.

I finally found a supplier up here for the wand and tip, and have ordered it. Should be in next week. I've got 7 decks to finish ASAP.

Anyhow, question is, Is that a 1.6 gpm pump ???

I tested a wand off a steel Chapin concrete sealer pump sprayer and a 3 gpm Shurflo that I already had, needless to say it would spray like a male cat, and go through stain in a hurry.

Let me know if you don't mind me giving you a quick phone call and if so a time that might be appropriate ???

Thanks.

Yes it's 1.8 gpm 60psi shurflo pump....surre you can call me anytime Richard 713-203-1648

Also interested in more info and a supplier on this wand setup. No way I could ever question this things ability in the hand of a master as Shane but it may help some of us to know if it at times it may put out a drip or two from the tip while spraying with certain pump flows or psi ratings. I fear how much drip and over spray protection to plan for. I want to spray and not shower things. With hvlp adjusted properly I can get almost no overspray and 0 drips via thorough atomization. Whether the Shane wand/pump setup sprays or showers I surely see the production value and reaching ability of it...Just need to know what to expect is all.

Seems if I decide to use various stains through a fickle system that I could have problems. Not saying it is at all fickle cause I never yet tried it of course but from what I see in hand brushing sample boards and garden type sprayers and noting product thickness difference between stains I can say I am considering not offering too many product choices to customers. As example, Cabot aussie oil is way thin and runs pretty good and but Spf is way thick. Omax a bit fickle on the runs also. Just takes more time to adjust system to be error free I would think.

The smelly Penofin and RS type parrafinics seem the easiest to apply without runs or laps..

Shane, can you offer any more advice on what does or doesn't work with your wand/pump setup?

I used the olympic honey gold this week and it looks great . A very natural color looks more like oak kitchen cabinets to my eyes. Customer loved the natural look. My camera is not very true on color or even focus but there is some pictures on my website under the olympic stain on nav. bar. DECK DOCTOR PRESSURE WASHING I got to sneak my wifes camera on a job because hers takes very accurate color shots!!!!

Hey Shane

I used that set up this week to squirt 3 decks. I LOVE IT. I've got another one to do today. I'm going to try a couple different tips just to see what happens. Thanks for that time on that quick phone conversation.