Sign in to follow this  
Lightning Gene

WHAT To Do With LOWBALLERS?

Question

I recently bid on a vinyl fence cleaning after researching past threads.I think I gave a fair estimate of .20 per linear ft x 2 sides of a 3 board fence.The footage was 2800 feet for both sides and I bid 600.00.Also was to haul water to the ranch to do the job.The ho said he thought that was fair and would call me Monday...I called today and he informed me he found someone who would do it a whole lot cheaper.I guess my question is after I find out who shredded my bid should I call them and ask why they work so cheap? Should I just remember who it was and meet or beat their prices in the future?Or just chalk it up to experince. I own everything in my business with no loan payments and very little overhead,and I can really bid jobs cheap but I hate to work for nothing....Ok I am thru venting but would like to hear what others would do....Thx

10 answers to this question

I recently bid on a vinyl fence cleaning after researching past threads.I think I gave a fair estimate of .20 per linear ft x 2 sides of a 3 board fence.The footage was 2800 feet for both sides and I bid 600.00.Also was to haul water to the ranch to do the job.The ho said he thought that was fair and would call me Monday...I called today and he informed me he found someone who would do it a whole lot cheaper.I guess my question is after I find out who shredded my bid should I call them and ask why they work so cheap? Should I just remember who it was and meet or beat their prices in the future?Or just chalk it up to experince. I own everything in my business with no loan payments and very little overhead,and I can really bid jobs cheap but I hate to work for nothing....Ok I am thru venting but would like to hear what others would do....Thx

Dont go cheaper, chaulk it up and forget about it , there's always going to be someone cheaper, its the luck of the draw

Hello Gene,

Many ways to survive in biz...

One of 'em is to price everyone else out, then u got all the biz.

If you make a buck, that's 1 the competition didn't get.

You are in a good position, if you own all your gear & no payments.

A far better way to go is improve your salesmanship and get your client excited about having you to do a fine job based on your sterling reputation.

r

So what?!?! The Home Owner made a decision based upon price. Let it go. The other who got the job and possibly ruins the fence will be the one who really pays. Keep your pricing and don't worry about the lowballers. They are a nuisance but they aren't always going to get the job. Once they have burned enough people, others like yourself who can provide reasoning to support your pricing and methods to back it up will eventually win out.

Keep at it.

Rod!~

You failed to show the customer the VALUE of doing business with you and they had nothing else to base their buying decision on but price.

That or you were in front of the wrong 'type' of customer to begin with, you have to weed out the price shoppers.

If he thought it was fair, why didn't you sign him on the spot? One sure fire way to beat lowballers is to not give them the chance to bid. Take it as a lesson learned and brush up on your closing skills. As Barry mentioned, selling value is everything. You price was well low enough to close this deal.

You basically have to show your customer what your made of... sell him on your knowledge and eco-friendly approach. If the guys shopping for price you may be out of luck but if he's shopping for service you can have the advantage if you use it.

What to do with lowballers? Let them be and focus on the jobs and customers that pay. Then you can smile all the way to the bank, knowing you're getting a decent rate while that lowballer is working for peanuts.

You'll lose every time if you try to compete with them. You'll get work you regret doing because the entire time you're doing it you know you're not getting paid what the job is worth. Provide a top notch, professional service at a fair price and you'll do fine..you just have to find the right customers.

You can't fault the customer...He saved some money on an easy job...face it, cleaning a vinyl fence is hard to screw up...anyone can spray some bleach and rinse it off....someone was just willing to do that cheaper than you were.

If you bid your jobs at the same level as a lowballer, then you're no different than they are...you're on their level.

Learn the next responses, not by heart - because that would sound false.

1. OK, I understand. No thats fine, I'm a little more expensive because I'm legal & Insured & have overheads. I just hope the guy doesn't wreck anything for you because if he isn't insured, theres no come back.

2. Thats OK, if you find that his work isn't up to scratch, give me a ring (This lets your competition get rid of the worse & gives you an easier job). By the way, if he's doing it for less than I quoted, he must be cutting corners. I thought my price was quite competetive.

3. I'm always free to give you a quote for work in the future, thanks for thinking of us. You have my card. Good luck with the work.

All the replys give a second thought process in the clients head. You never know, he might turn round & rethink. He knows you are always approachable the second time round.

But as someone else said, who neeeds clients like that!

Gene,

I've found that the best customers usually aren't the ones shopping for the lowest prices, but are more impressed with the person who will be doing the job for them. So...forget about it and move onto the next customer.

Well I read alot of responses and I agree that I should just let it drop and not pursue the issue.Its just hard going full time in January with no other income to let these jobs go to a Lowballer with no overhead, a 300.00 washer,a box of tide, and a bottle of clorox. May The fleas of A Thousand Camels infest his armpits and I wish him Good Luck !