Sign in to follow this  
Austin Under Pressure

A few Questions - Power Wash Equipment

Hello,

I am new to this community as well as to the Mobile Power Wash Industry. I have recently got all my paperwork in order and am looking forward to ordering some equipment here in the next month or so.

Here is my questions. I am debating between two brand currently. First is Landa equipment. It appears to be excellent. I have the salesman currently looking into additional pump options for me. I am wanting a pump that will put out 5+ gpm and capable of at least 3000 psi.

I am also looking at a washer offered by Delco Systems of Ft Worth. Sort of a build your own unit. I have been told by many folks locally that installing a CAT pump is the best move I can make. The same folks also had fantastic comments about Landa equipment.

My question to the experts: " Am I better off with a pressure washer utilizing a Landa pump and Safety Features or One from Delco Systems with the CAT Pump." For all intensive purposes lets assume the prices are the same as they are within about 500.00 of each other.

I am planning for most of my work to be on homes, decks and flatwork. I want something capable of picking up oil soaked in to concrete from say an Oil Change Shop. I am told the more GPM the better. I understand that detergents will be needed as well and GPM and hot water alone will not get the job done!

I may have been bland in my description and I will expand as necessary. Any advice or information that any of you can offer would be very greatly appreciated.

One last question. I am looking for funding options for my company to get rolling. Have any of you had any experience while starting up? Anyone recommend a leasing company that will lease to a start-up or something in business less than 2 years? I am currently looking into Small Business Loans and Leasing Companies.

Thanks in advance for all of your assistance!

If my two choices were between Landa and Delco, for a start up business, I would go with the Delco.

I have heard many good things about each brand, but Landa puts parts that are exclusive to them on their machines from what I have heard. If one of these items broke, it may not be readily available.

Cat pumps are good, as are General. I prefer Kohler Engines over the others for small air cooled. I have a Honda and have had no problems, but will go Kohler on the next round unless I go Diesel.

I also prefer the 120v units over 12 volt, but that just depends on who you talk to.

If I were in your shoes, I would go for the Kohler 18-20 hp min, with a either a Cat or General pump. 5gpm @3000 psi 120 volt hot unit. I am also a fan of the flow type unloaders, as they ease the kick at initial pull of the trigger.

You need to consider the service issue. If you can handle any/all diagnostics and repairs that may be required, then you can buy from whoever provides the best prices. Don't forget that shipping costs can run 200-400 bucks.

When you buy locally, it includes the full service that goes along with the higher price tag. If you can't handle the repairs, then you definitely want to buy a local machine, such as a Landa.

Gentlemen,

Both very good points to consider. I am able to buy both somewhat locally. I have been putting a lot of concentration in purchasing the best unit money can buy. The service aspect is a great point and something that I need to consider quite heavily.

Is there much difference between the pumps? Cat vs Landa? The Landa dealer is local here in Austin. Delco is about 3 hrs away in Ft Worth. Both have a lot to offer and are offering warranty on all items sold.

Pardon my ignorance. " Flow Type Unloader " Can you explain what this is for me?

In my opinion...I don't like flow type unloaders. If you are not versed in their adjustments, you may have problems. That can get out of adjustment very easily. As for machines, for the two that you speak of, I would go with Landa, their service is great. I have been offered a job recently with my local Landa dealer. They showed me their pump and I was impressed. one thing I was impressed with was the size of their plungers. All the bolts are thicker as well. I don't like CAT pumps. Not because they are bad, they are the opposite, they are great pumps, but, the rebuild kits are almost the same price as a new General pump. I have used Generals for years and have no complaints.

Whatever system you go with I would recommend seperate components. That is a pressure washer and a seperate water heater.....much easier to get them off the truck if you have to and you are dealing with 2 smaller footprints rather than one large one. One of my machines is a diesel skid. Its size dictates where you put it in the truck....and after I got it I realized one important fact.....dont let it run out of fuel. If you run out of fuel in a gas engine you add fuel and restart. If you run out with a diesel you have to have the system purged to get the air out.

Andy

With any setup you buy one of the keys to long trouble free life (hopefully) is maintanence, if it says change oil the first 25 hours then every 50 then be sure you do.

I do one better, I change my oil and filter every 25 hours regardless, also be sure to check the pump fluid and add if it gets low and change that too.

Be sure to keep the engine tuned, fresh spark plugs, air filters etc.

A small price to pay compared to rebuilding or replacing one.

Diesels run forever but do get dirtier and are noisy so you need to also consider the type of work.

What are you planning to tow it around on, open trailer, enclosed trailer or in the back of your pick up?

Jon

Guest rfitz

I was in your situation last year, and bought a Delco Hot water,

RK-43 Unit, never had 1 problem, and their service is awesome, I believe they build a great unit, however I have since scrapped everything and started from scratch, unlike the automobile industry, this is a whole lot different than 1 size fits all, with my new unit and set up I am at almost twice as fast, if you would like to discuss this further, feel free to email me with any questions..

Take Care

can you fix equipment?

Even with a good mechanic on the phone you still need some knowalge. It's hard to get a point accross when you keep telling the guy"you mean the black,thingy-ma-bobber"

Weigh the extra cost of a local dealer to the saveing's of mail order. Dont forget shipping.

If you do go out of state be sure to order everything at that time.

Shipping later will kill you.

Extra hose,o-ring's,quick dis-connect fitting's,unloader,jumper line,trigger gun,hose reel,downstreamer,and extra tip's are the MIN. to order with your unit.

Any one of these thing's[except the reel] can shut you down in a min flat if it break's. You need this stuff on your truck at all times.

Plus tool's and a cell phone.

So once agin, if you dont want to stock this stuff, you need a local guy. If you dont buy from the local guy you will prob pay top price when you go down or need something.

Great Advice everyone.

The service issue is key. While I am able to do regular maintenance any rebuilding of components will take some time. This is something I will definetly take into consideration. I was planning on all the extras you mentioned Ron. And then some!

Thanks,

Guest rfitz

When I was considering local or mail order on my first unit it really didnt matter, my local guy is 40 miles away so 80 miles round trip at 10 miles to the gallon = 8 gallons of gas at $1.50 = $12.00 plus drive time of 2 hours. when you look at it like that, shipping or local, it was about a push, and that is if he can get to it right away, most cant, not in the busy season, your looking at least at a couple days, so if you go thru shipping and they can walk you thru it, which most can, you will ending up fixing 90% of your stuff yourself, that is why I keep saying, it is best to have a spare unit on hand no matter what,

even if it is smaller, you can still get the work done.. if I would have broke down last year, I would have been dead, I was just that busy, so I bought insurance, a smaller but very effective cold water 5 GPM machine, that will get me thru till things get fixed, or have another guy working for me on smaller jobs, either way, you cant go wrong with an extra rig

Hey Mike,

Just curious, How is it that you have used General pumps for years? It seems that last year that you were just starting out. Now I am going to have to go back and see when you started on some of the other BBS'S

Scott Stone

detective stone here.

up against the wall

spread'em

ahhh a gun

a 45 deg.

hand's behind your back.

What you goin to do,what you goin to, when stone come's for you? badboy badbay.

suspect in the kitchen with a new rig.

Dont do the crime if you cant do the time.

[can you tell i have a temp of 102? man the flu suck's!]

The hardest part of making a repair on a hot water rig is determining what is wrong. Unless you have a mechanically inclined mind, it is not necessarily intuitive to figure out what part isn't working.

Also, depending on how your rig is setup, it might not be easy to get at everything from the position it is in.

I keep all the parts Ron mentioned in each of my trailers. Also, like Rob mentioned, I keep a couple backup cold water machines.

I've been thinking about keeping a spare pump on hand. Then, a few bolts and such and you're on your way. You can then rebuild the bad pump at your leisure.

I like Cat pumps, but they cost too much to rebuild.

Currently I've got General and AR pumps with nothing bad to report.

Ron, I hope you feel better. Scott, good memory. But...There is a certain reason it "seems" like I just started cleaing last year. I am not going to post why, if you would like to know, give me a call. I actually started pressure cleaning when I worked for my uncle's concrete company when I was 14. All I really did was rinse mud, but that is where it all started. Ever hear the saying "stupid like a fox"?

I don't have that much exp. I will be 32 in a few weeks. Like I said, started with my uncle when I was 14, you do the math. I never said how many years I was doing it, I just stated when I started. Do you feel threatened by me or something? It seems you always have something to say after my posts. Maybe you are the one with less exp. than you say and you are trying to take the emphasis off of you and put it on me. Or... you are jealous that you never ran an adult club? I can help you out if you want a job in Phoenix, lol

Mike,

Maybe he's ribbing you. Look at Scotts photo. He doesn't bite.... much..... and he's a very helpful guy. ;) He just calls it as he sees it. Sometimes perception is a funny thing. I'm sure the clarification you made helped. Besides, you could be flattered. Heck, I've read some very intelligent posts by Lance over the years...:dunno:

Beth :groovy3:

Guest rfitz

MIke if looks could kill..? I hope he didnt take that pic when he was replying to your post..? He looks pretty mad, or maybe I just dont know scott..?

I don't dislike Scott at all. I think we are actually having fun "ribbing" each other. I actually have fun, it breaks it up a little. I hope to meet Scott one day soon and buy him some drinks. Maybe even dinner, unless he looks that mean all the time, I won't be able to afford how much he would eat, lol. I have to find a way to get my picture up here so you guys can make fun of me too.

Look, I know I can be an ass sometimes, when I am I apologize. As a hole, I am a nice guy, those who have talked to me in person or on the phone, I hope, would say I am nice and helpful. I don't dislike anyone here. I hope everyone knows that.

Originally posted by Scott Stone

Now you are starting to sound like Lance Winslow. I never could figure out how he had 24 years experience, and was only 32.

Scott Stone

Good ol Lance started when he was like 8 or something, riding his bike to wash planes. I am sure you already know the story. If not ask Chuck.