Sign in to follow this  
Tegrey

Quick Connects

I'm having a simple problem, costing me lots of Money. My quick connects are very hard to seperate? No pressure, clean and fairly new. They do not want to seperate. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You.

One other thing to check is the male end. Sometimes an edge will build up on the male end due to the ball bearings in the female end squeezing from pressure. I just take a file or even a fine grinding wheel on a bench grinder and smooth it back down flush. You can do this numerous times, just be careful to only remove a little though. I have this problem also, especially with the regular steel ones. I use mostly stainless now and the problem has been really minimal.

Jeff

Terry,

I actually have better luck with the cheap ones. Try pushing them together as you pull on the female part. Sometimes if you spin them first they are easier to get apart. Once apart pour some oil in the female to lube the little balls. I always just use a little 10w30 that I keep in the truck for the pressure washer engine.

Andy

Terry,

We only do wood so don't run the PW fulltime. But Tom Vogel of ACR Products taught me a trade lesson years ago.

In March, or whenever you are gearing up for the season, just put on new male and female ends of quick connects. An easy DIY task before the season starts and the hardware cost is nominal.

Just normal before the season maintenance and saves the hassle and potential problems when your business starts rolling.

Thank You all. I appreciate the info. These couplings have cost me too much. I will try all the ideas. The next time I see you all together, the next beers on me! LOL

I buy the cheaper stainless ones from Bob at Pressure Tek and have no problems at all. I do what Rick says as well, for the $30 in materials, I put new ones on this spring and kept the old ones for spares.

I forgot one thing, I would not buy any expensive ones Except for the ones you use the most. I only regulary play with two quick connects. The one at the end of my lance for my nozzles, This female one I made sure was high quality, and the one that attaches to my gun that I disconnect for my surface cleaner.

After being a miser for to long, I now use hansen Stainless and have hardly any problems. Of course everything wears out eventually, but these have lasted the longest. On the qc on my gun I use Mosmatic swivels to save o-rings as well.

Just wanted to add my two cents worth.

Never buy the Brass Male ends they don't last. Get the Steel or Stainless male plugs.

The brass Females are good but, Keep them lubed up.

Also here is a little trick. Lets say you have the Quick couplers between the gun and hose. Put a Male on the hose and the female on the gun. Why?

When under pressure the couplers push and pull against eachother when you pull the trigger. When the male is on the gun it wears out faster than when the female is on the gun. I'm sure there is some scientific reason for this. I notticed that Landa Always runs them this way.

Also here is a little trick. Lets say you have the Quick couplers between the gun and hose. Put a Male on the hose and the female on the gun. Why?

When under pressure the couplers push and pull against eachother when you pull the trigger. When the male is on the gun it wears out faster than when the female is on the gun. I'm sure there is some scientific reason for this. I notticed that Landa Always runs them this way.

Seems like the wear would be the same, as they still move back and forth regardless of where they are.

About every couple month or so I set out an assembly line using 32oz. plastic cups, a wash bucket, and spray can of silicone wire dryer. One cup I put 50/50 mix hydrochloric and water, another I put a cup of baking soda and water, and then the wash bucket with clean water.

I dunk most my fittings, tips, spray bars, downstreamer, etc. one by one through the line and then spray them with silicone. When the males look funky I rub them with 220 grit. When I feel real frisky I'll add water and then run the left overs through my coil with a flojet and dump the baking soda on my battery terminals. I don't perticularily do this for sticky quik connects but for to clean the mineral buildup out the insides of the barbs. :)

Ron,

How about posting the tapered ends so people know what they are? Those look like a standard thread uncrimped hose end.

If i get a chance, I thought i had a photo. Maybe i'll get one at the shop Monday.

I see some guys may not get it.