Sign in to follow this  
CLASSICPW

What's the coldest temps you've applied sealer/stain

Question

I primarily use readyseal now and sherwin-williams for solids and some semi-trans applications. SW and ready can (I believe) can be applied as low as 35 degrees. Anybody have any probs in the cold? I've never attempted below 45, but I've got a fence that requires 10 gal of ready that I washed a month ago, but it's been cold here and there. Share the horror stories

20 answers to this question

Jamie,

I've applied RS maintenance jobs in the mid 40's F without problem, aside from the stain taking a while to dry. As you are dealing with a fence, no problem, no one is going to walk on it!

For a first time RS job, the problem isn't the air temps and stain, the problem is the air temps and the wood drying out to 12%.

Realize you are not going to get as much RS into the wood when it is cold. May want to hit the fence a second time after a few days.

Jamie,

Rick is right, second coat in a couple of days or longer. RS doesn't penetrate very well under 50 degrees. I deal with this alot being in the great white north. I generally stop my staining operations with penetrating oil when nighttime temps dip below 40 degrees.

I guess someone always has to chime in and disagree, so here goes...

My scientific mind tells me that when wood is hot, the fibers expand and compress against each other, inhibiting penetration. The stain appears to dry faster because it is actuallly volitilizing (evaporating), not because it is soaking into the wood. That is why labels recommend against application in direct sunlight or high surface temps. Bottom line...you get less penetration on hot wood, not more.

The reason RS and other parafinnics appear to take longer to dry in cooler temps is that the oils in the product do not volatilize into the air, as they do on hot days. What you're actually getting is BETTER penetration during cold weather specifically because the stain is staying wet longer. That's a good thing. Of course, with heavy application you may mave to wipe up excess product after 24 hours, since again, the stain basically isn't evaporating into the air.

On the Sherwin-Williams products, the enemy is frost which is the reason for their product label directions with regard to temperature. It is possible for areas to frost when the forecast calls for anything below 40, since forecasts can be off by couple degrees, and low-lying areas can be a few degrees colder than higher ones. Just don't apply when frost is possible and you will be alright.

Where's Russel or one of the RS guys (Pierce) when we need them????

ahh, nice to have discussion, but thats a negative ghost rider, contact manufacturer and speak with one of their technical support guys. Wisconsin here, had many attempts at cold weather applications, product sits on surface and in the spring you can still take a cloth to it and wipe it off the surface,no penetration at all. Warm weather = Wood cells expand and allow penetrating chems. to enter. Basically I avoid any extreme temps above 90 or below 45 has proven safe for me.

Now that I think of it, we had probs with a client this time last year.

They wanted to rush a job, and we certainly wanted the money, but just could not do the work because surfaces were too cold.

MOF, the situation has caused bad feelings to this day.

It was a flipper, and they felt a window of opportunity was missed, at the beginning of the housing bubble burst.

Some things are just beyond my control!

Larry, I would have to disagree. The wood fibers in colder temps contract and inhibit penetration thus parafinic oils cannot penetrate and sit more towards the surface. Since they never cure, the deck will appear "wet" for a longer period of time. The effect is exacerbated at night when this contraction actually squeezes the product from the wood. I would guess a rain during colder temps would take away half of the finish.

I see your logic Ken. I've only had one late season RS job that seemed to stay wet forever, but I assumed it just wasn't evaporating.

In any case, what do you use as a minimum temperature.??

i just finished applying Wood tux to a deck today in 40-50 deg weather.(man was it cold!!!)

anyway, I had a lot of shiny spots when done and had to wipe with min spirits. Ive never had to do that on a warm day.

With Ready Seal I've sealed in the low 40's but in direct sun light. I also sealed a large job on the North side of a house in early Nov, and it stayed oily until April ( never saw the sun). The sun is important because it will dry up the moisture and heat the surface.

I applied wood tux to a deck that had frost on it when I arrived. By the time

I got done with the railing the frost was gone. The deck looked great, but the one day this winter when it actually dried there were many white spots around the knots where it didn't penetrate. There is a picture on my website under wood. Still waiting for another dry day to second coat it.

I applied wood tux to a deck that had frost on it when I arrived. By the time

I got done with the railing the frost was gone. The deck looked great, but the one day this winter when it actually dried there were many white spots around the knots where it didn't penetrate. There is a picture on my website under wood. Still waiting for another dry day to second coat it.

Call Russell Cissell before you put on that second coat. I think you may be begging for a film that will peel.

i just finished applying Wood tux to a deck today in 40-50 deg weather.(man was it cold!!!)

anyway, I had a lot of shiny spots when done and had to wipe with min spirits. Ive never had to do that on a warm day.

Jon, I think that may not have been a good idea... with the spirits you may have wiped off what normally would have penetrated and now you may get a lite spot showing in the spring or summer...

BTW, I really liked your website. I thought the pics should have been a bit larger, but it was a real class presentation. Especially making a referral to another company in a city you may not service. Looked great!

Call Russell Cissell before you put on that second coat. I think you may be begging for a film that will peel.

I lost the 1st quote in THIS quote...LOL

I'm with Ken...

Call the job good until springtime and tell the folks you will drop by for a complimentary spruce up because it was done so late in the season.

Thanks for the nice comments about the web site, Tmrrptr.

Actually that method came from Russell, just get the excess off before it dries to a film. The WTW really absorbs quickly into the wood, so it you have a filmy area and wipe lightly with Min spirits, you know your just getting what hasnt absorbed.