Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

'08 Economy Poll

How is the Economy affecting your business?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How is the Economy affecting your business?

• Not at all.
    • Too soon to tell.
    • Yeah, it is affecting my business.
    • I am concerned for my business.
    • I have had to look into other options to stay busy.
    • I need to find a job.

Ok, It is 2008 and many of us who have voted in the previous poll may have had a difference of opinion since the poll first showed up so I am creating this updated poll to help gauge the responses.

Let us hear from you.

Rod!~

Its effecting everything, how bad Im not sure. Just fuel cost, not just what I put in the trucks, but fuel costs effect everything we buy

I think all forms of PWing can and probably will be effected, people tighten their purse strings when the economy shakes. I know many retirees that are looisng money or nervous about the Stock market etc are they going to wash their houses, some yes, some no. New construction is down so isnt that line of PWing, I know a couple guys that, that hurt

theres a lot going on, I hope it doesnt last to long and I hope all survive, but not all will

Good luck to all Oh Ya, its all that devils fault ........George Bush :lildevil::lgbonk:

I voted to soon to tell but I am slightly concerned about the upcoming residential season. I have projected some nice numbers for 08 but the economy could put a damper on that.

I have been watching Michigan closely since last year, for those of you that don't know the MI economy has been very bad for awhile due to the car industry. Though it has certainly affected small businesses in the area, there are still pressure washing companies up there that did just fine last year in terms of numbers.

I voted not at all because my business is still doing well got a lot of workk for the spring and i'm steady right now but its still to early to tell

I am the eternal optimist. I get tired of the doom and gloom portrayed in the media no matter how well things really are.

That being said, I am beginning to be very concerned. But I dont beleive were in a recession. You read all the time about the current recession, the coming recession etc., but by definition a recession is 2 quarters of negative growth in GDP and that hasnt happened yet, nor do I beleive it will. But we are having a definate slow down, and the economy will probably slow further.

I kind of hope for a democrat president so they will be blamed if we do slip into recession. As we all know its the president in office that gets blamed for downturns and the previous occupant that gets credit for upturns.

I voted to soon to tell but I am slightly concerned about the upcoming residential season. I have projected some nice numbers for 08 but the economy could put a damper on that.

I have been watching Michigan closely since last year, for those of you that don't know the MI economy has been very bad for awhile due to the car industry. Though it has certainly affected small businesses in the area, there are still pressure washing companies up there that did just fine last year in terms of numbers.

Our residential work volume has been the same in michigan for the last 3 years. That's actually good compared to the majority of companies here. I've been lucky.

Things are picking up out here in the West.

It's ALWAYS great to read your posts Carlos!

Excellent positive outlook that inspires everyone, I'm sure.

What upward indications have you seen that have reached the "street level?"

Are existing home sales rising in your area?

New home starts and building permits up?

Easier qualifying for "jumbo loans?"

We are all dressed up and ready to rock and roll!

I search Craigslist at least a couple times each week for bargain deals on various things I'm interested in to expand our scope of action...

Gosh!

It seems as though the number of professional construction tools offered has tripled. Probably a seasonal kinda thing, huh?

Hey Rich....good seeing ya man. How's things in your neck of the woods? I trust good.

We walked into '08 a little skittish about the economy as the previous year(s) have been pretty good to us.

Prior to the holidays we added a C53 Component to our licensing (Pools and Spas) and kept pounding the pavement on our sales and following up on every single lead that we received (ServiceMagic, Yellowpages, Craigslists and etc).

All in all '08 is at least looking okay for us!

Don't get me wrong, there are still alot of homes going into a foreclosure/bank owned status on a daily basis.

Best of Luck!!

Good good, Carlos!

It does sound like your planning is doing very well.

Persistence is the key!

I'm about ready to investigate options elsewhere, so I watch very closely when folks say things are picking up in their area.

post-2833-137772195817_thumb.jpg

I was again reading of different aspects regarding the housing bubble, and this facet popped up...

From the Associated Press (via CBS 13):

The house was ravaged -- its floors ripped, walls busted and lights smashed by owners who trashed their home before a bank foreclosed on it. Hidden in the wreckage was an abandoned member of the family: a starving pit bull. The dog found by workers was too far gone to save -- another example of how pets are becoming the newest victims of the nation's mortgage crisis as homeowners leave animals behind when they can no longer afford their property.

Pets "are getting dumped all over," said Traci Jennings, president of the Humane Society of Stanislaus County in northern California. "Farmers are finding dogs dumped on their grazing grounds, while house cats are showing up in wild cat colonies."

The situation has become so widespread that the Humane Society urged home owners faced with foreclosure to take their animals to a shelter. Shelters are trying to keep up, but the spike in abandoned pets comes at a time when fewer people are adopting animals. Home sales are plunging to their lowest level in decades, and new homeowners are often the most likely to seek a pet.

Even people who are buying homes are not adopting pets. "People are not bringing home puppies because times are tough, and animals cost money," said Sharon Silbert, president of Animal Rescue of Tracy, a community near Stockton.

There was also a lot of dialog coming out of Merced in CA's central valley.

post-2833-137772195819_thumb.jpg

Rich....love the thumbnails on your last 2 posts...lol.

I will be in contact with you in the very near future as I have something in the works up here that may benefit you for some residual income.

Stay tuned!!

SO far I have not had an effect. We are up about 5% over last year at this time. However, that does not mean that I am not concerned. It is hard when you do not know how other people are going to react. I have asked two of my bigger accounts about their budget, etc. and both of them have increased their budget for me in the coming fiscal year that start on July 1.

All left wing liberal media cr*p. The Bush tax cuts and Bush economic policy is working, just ask him. Mission Accomplished. Got any Euros I can borrow

Why the fed cuts won't help?

Gee whiz!

The new loan rates are to help the banks, NOT the little guy!

The moguls of finance are getting bigger paychecks than ever before.

Now, instead of the fdic insuring bank failures, fannie mae and freddy mac are going to buy up all those bad notes and the taxpayer is going to foot the bill anyway!

Good luck all.

It will be time to learn how to get by with a whole lot less.

Well? How is everyone's season going? Is new business up or down?

Beth

We are adding new PM's often a ton of repeat work and my #'s for the 1st 4 months have double over last year. I do have one developer that owes me and is paying in small increments, not a good sign, but he is the only developer property I do and am getting money but slow. the others are all governed by HOA's and have it in their budgets

Even thou I don't target any residential and haven't for 2 1/2+ years I still am getting calls from referrals and the like

The economy I think is scary for many and I would imagine many aren't as quick to spend. I instead of buying new trailer rig & truck have added another machine, I didn't want to take on any debt. I am paying it all down as quick as possible. Hope to be debt free in the biz in less than 2 years (hopefully). I am also hoping this isn't to prolonged downturn, because everything and every one will be effected sooner or later

Good luck all!

So far very well. The very high end stuff!! Two marble restorations, a brick restoration clean and a couple of very difficult strips $$$$. No contracts, no paper work, it will run ya about this much Lad.....