Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Here comes the technology

Question

Here is the latest technology from Muralo - it is a waterbourne alkyd deck stain. Muralo has always been proactive company in the coatings industry - and for a small company they have really worked hard to put EPA compliant coatings out ahead of the actual laws. While in some ways this has been annoying, because they have let their oil products over the years really become cheesy. This is in part because instead of overburdening an already small R&R department, they simply took ingredients out of the can as mandated, did not reformulate - but instead were buying their time while the chemists were working on vast departures from old technology.

The rewards of this have been fantastic - their interior paints are the very best in the industry - I routinely use their waterbourne interior products, especially their Ultra semigloss - and eveyrone thinks my trim work is oil. They have waterbased primers that kill knots, waterbourne polyurethanes that look like glass and more durable than oil based poly's, the most amazing exterior paints in the industry - now they even have self priming high coverage latex paints. And now this product - I will be trying it and seeing how well it works, but as the can says - it has less than 250ml/L - it is basically butyl/water/alkyd. And I believe the 'stainshield' technology is nano-technology. Here are some pics.

post-1720-137772197555_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772197597_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772197638_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772197682_thumb.jpg

57 answers to this question

Ken, intercoat adhesion has always been a big concern in the coatings industry. As a painter - I routinely sand between coats - as added insurance, that if a paints ability to stick to itself isn't great{ie chemical adhesion} at least I will improve physical mechanical adhesion by providing micro grooves for which paint can seep into and 'lock' in. This is also achieved when painters pressure wash homes with TSP - we do this to etch the surface, or what we call a 'profile' for the next layer of paint to adhere to.

I think the fact the spelling is wrong is hilarious. It reflects the nature of this company. A company can choose to spend it's money 2 out of 3 ways. Those are - product quality, distribution, marketing. This company has no marketing budget whatsover - everything goes into quality - these guys were the first on the market with latex paints back in the 40's. And unlike most coating manufacturers that purchase their resins - these guys manufacture all resins and polymerize them in-house! And if you know anything about the coatings world - that's huge.

What about those product that use the water to dive in to the wood?

Beth

You'de have to ask it's manufacture of course for specific info but......

...I suspect it an alkyd emulsion and, if not mistaken, it's carrier is solvent-borne. To imply it dives different with water present than without could simply mean that it's choice of emulsion maker (emulsifier) or additive, which comes by way of a surfactant/detergent, leans the mix higher on a hydrophilic-lipophilic balance scale more towards being more water soluable than oil soluable. This has to do with Bancroft's rule which often goes the way side since all we hear is oil or water through our limited layman ears...myself not excluded.

- Bancroft rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Adrian, stop being obtuse. I have been using Muralo products for over 10 years in one form or another - and their quality puts such companies as Benjamin Moore, Pratt & Lambert, Pittsburgh paints to utter shame. The obvious quality to any have used Muralo products is readily apparent from Day #1. If you insist on judging a company for spelling errors - that's your problem. My experience with this company is that they are much more concerned with what's in the can than what's on the can. Of course there have been products lately - that have been having problems with what's in the can - although the label was perfect - but who cares, what's important is how the product performs.

Muralo is a small company in a day in age when most companies are going out of business because they cannot compete against larger national conglomerates. Even Pratt & Lambert was going out of business - which was saved by Sherwin Williams purchasing them. So I am sure they were aware of this unfortunate spelling error - but being a small family owned company - rather than trash printed materials for the sake of having perfect spelling - went and put it on the cans anyways.

So - unlike many suggested - I won't be applying this to customer decks, but rather on test boards and see how it weathers. I am not saying this is a great stain - but something to look into as new technology - I think your comments, however, judging a company by a spelling error is really ridiculous

Adrian, stop being a **** ****. I have been using Muralo products for over 10 years in one form or another - and their quality puts such companies as Benjamin Moore, Pratt & Lambert, Pittsburgh paints to utter shame. The obvious quality to any have used Muralo products is readily apparent from Day #1. So you can take your stupid lame opinion and shove it up your ass.

Be nice, and edit your post. :lgangry:

Beth

Whoa Nelly, And a cow kicked Nelly in the belly in the barn. Play nice boys or get out of the sandbox.

All bad posts need to be edited by the original poster or they will be edited by me. It would be in your best interest to do it yourself.

I think the fact the spelling is wrong is hilarious. It reflects the nature of this company. A company can choose to spend it's money 2 out of 3 ways. Those are - product quality, distribution, marketing. This company has no marketing budget whatsover - everything goes into quality - these guys were the first on the market with latex paints back in the 40's. And unlike most coating manufacturers that purchase their resins - these guys manufacture all resins and polymerize them in-house! And if you know anything about the coatings world - that's huge.

Latex as meaning physically an emulsion (generic definition) has been around forever.

Doesn't latex's departure from standard old time oil/milk/lime/ (casein oil latex paint), which were full of all sorts of other dangerous chems, to a water emulsion based (still a casein latex paint) get credited to Sherwin's Kem-Tone paint of the mid to late 1930's? They cover the Earth is what they say.. :)

ps--The advancement away from oil allowed the product not to spoil was one aspect far as I can tell...

Being that this is the first time you have ever spoken to me Daniel, my reservations are now conclusions.

But keep trying to prove your point. It's amusing to me.I never questioned your professionalism up to this point,but for obvious reasons I now do.

Many of us here have gained a small percentage of customers from this site, and we try to maintain a professional stance by monitoring what we input here simply because the potential customers may hire us from the knowledge we share here.

Obviously, I am not the only one that made a statement about the spelling, but I seemed to upset you personally which was not the intent. You seem to be all over the compass with your comments to me and many others. That is not limited to this forum either. Not to mention that you are very pushy and demanding

( unrightfully so )to those who should be considered as your peers in the industry. The fact that you are big enough to edit your sarcasm and insults says a little about you though. But only a little. I will accept that as the level of humility you possess. Or else you are simply trying to salvage your membership on TGS.

At any rate thank you for editing your post for the benfit of my potential customers. They don't need to see what kind of mouth you have.

As far as what I do , when, and where, or who I vote for ( which I already have) is absolutely no concern of yours, and it would serve you well to remember that.

Anyone want the flu?. I have it and all I got to do is breathe on ya...haha. In old days they stick everyone together and get it over with all at once....

But mang..this stufff is bad this year try stay clear of it. Almost as bad as 4 year back when I had that asian junk. This time I made mistake of going up the hill into elevation before it was gone. Wife and I both got so pukey sick up there and when I got back down my ears would not pop. Took 5 sudephed, 2 phenerin, 3 acetametaphin to get the putrid lump of bile to move from my head to my chest and that didn't happen until like 4 in the mornin.

...should I edit that for my customers?..lol... :)

..sorry, just changin the subject..

Everyone please just breath. Daniel has edited his post. You are both entitled to you opinions, please be respectful of one another here.

Now getting back to topic, I wonder how many new products will be introduced that are like this? Seems to me a number of folks said they thought things were moving this direction with coatings.

Beth

Adrian - if anything that got me upset with you, is your high horse riding sort of tone. You come off as woodie snob. I introduced the knowledge of this product to be helpful for those that are looking for alternatives - and all you did dismiss the company for a spelling error and the 'painting' industry as well - because heck what do they know about staining wood, right? So - I could really care less what you think about my professionalism - and I certainly don't care about your opinion either. It was a post meant to be helpful.

With new technologies , new products and unrealistic marketing campaigns looking for victims. The only way to get a handle on product is testing them your self. Then you can ask questions ?