Question

**Edit (July 2010)**

For those of you stumbling upon this post through Google Search, I wanted to report an update that Apex DeckSavers (providing deck cleaning, deck restoration, and deck staining services in the Apex, Cary, Raleigh, Chapel Hill North Carolina) has been using Armstrong Clark stain for over two years now with amazing results. Coverage is great, oil penetrates deep on the older woods, and the color tone is fantastic. No color shift from the decks I've been tracking either. Scotts been carrying it at the www.thesealerstore.com so all you East Coast folks can get it from there. We primarily restore Pressure Treated Pine and use the Armstrong Clark Semi-Transparent stains for most applications.

Anyone with questions is welcome to email me at charlie(at)apexdecksavers(dot)com

The thread below is several years old and has some great information on the stain before it became well known around the country. Thanks to all that contributed to the thread and the exposure this post has generated for Armstrong Clark.

I'm looking for anyone who has used Armstrong Clark stains or has experimented with them for some time now.

Theres some info in the 2008 sealer poll but I'm looking for people who has used it on a job to give their impressions

What kind of coverage did you get?

Where to purchase it?

Whats the viscosity of the oil?

And finally does anyone have photos of the stain on a deck? Pressure treated pine would be nice. Cedar and Rustic colors in particular

Thanks

Edited by bigchaz
Update on post

224 answers to this question

Ah bummer there's no contractor club

ha

I just got confirmation today that I will be carrying the stain for 43 states and Canada! Just not for 5 states. Hopefully I will have it up for sale within the week. Any feedback on colors would be appreciated.

NICEEEEEEE

From what Jason indicated I think cedartone will be popular since its similar in tone to the brown sugar. That may just be me though.

You sticking to semi trans or stocking the whole line?

Probably the whole line.

Nice. Good to see there are other great alternatives.

Maybe I missed it Charlie - what color, how old is the wood that you are applying the AC on?

Scott,

Congrats to you and The Sealer Store. Armstrong-Clark stains should become a big seller over time when teamed up with the excellent customer service your company provides.

A very good match.

Edited by RPetry

Scott,

Congrats to you and The Sealer Store. Armstrong-Clark stains should become a big seller over time when teamed up with the excellent customer service your company provides.

A very good match.

Thanks Rick!

Nice. Good to see there are other great alternatives.

Bryan, unfortunately I cannot ship to Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Wisconsin, and Michigan. Sorry but this is someone elses territory. You will be able to order straight from the Armstrong site though.

Sounds great Scott! That should mean faster shipping to us here on the east coast. Have you had a chance to use any stain yet? The Super Cedar special blend will be a popular choice along with the cedar semi-trans that Charlie mentioned. I know the semi-trans look great on old wood, but I don't know how the trans would look on it, as from what I can tell so far on test boards it looks similar in transparency as ESI stains. Have to do a job with one to find out for sure though. I like all the colors I have tested, although I don't like the redwood semi-trans by itself.

Edited by YVPW

I'll be staining a deck with the Cedar Semi TRans tomorrow so long as the weather holds out. This will be our first with the AC stain though in an effort to see what its about.

Glad to see all of the buzz regarding the Armstrong product. Greg, can't wait to see what you think of it(I also added 3 days of sunshine to your order). We have had a lot of success over the past 2 years with this product with in our service division and distribution. Hope you all have a chance to give it a field test - the three different finishes all have there place. Call us at the store with any questions - welcome to the team Scot!

I'll be staining a deck with the Cedar Semi TRans tomorrow so long as the weather holds out. This will be our first with the AC stain though in an effort to see what its about.

Greg -

How did you get it? Would like to try it also...

Glad to see all of the buzz regarding the Armstrong product. Greg, can't wait to see what you think of it(I also added 3 days of sunshine to your order). We have had a lot of success over the past 2 years with this product with in our service division and distribution. Hope you all have a chance to give it a field test - the three different finishes all have there place. Call us at the store with any questions - welcome to the team Scot!

Seems that Michigan is the hotbed of Armstrong-Clark outside of Calif.

The principal of The Sealer Store is Scott Paul. A big welcome to TGS to another A-C distributor, Steve James of The Stain Shop.

Does anyone in Michigan have last names that are not first names?

Sounds great Scott! That should mean faster shipping to us here on the east coast. Have you had a chance to use any stain yet? The Super Cedar special blend will be a popular choice along with the cedar semi-trans that Charlie mentioned. I know the semi-trans look great on old wood, but I don't know how the trans would look on it, as from what I can tell so far on test boards it looks similar in transparency as ESI stains. Have to do a job with one to find out for sure though. I like all the colors I have tested, although I don't like the redwood semi-trans by itself.

I have tried the Cedar Semi-Transparent and I did like it. Have yet to try the different colors.

Scott Paul,

What is kind of amazing that both you and Steve James are distributing the same products.

The head honcho of A-C is named Jake Clark, another one with a first name for a last name!

Edited by RPetry

Scott Paul,

What is kind of amazing that both you and Steve James are distributing the same products.

The head honcho of A-C is named Jake Clark, another one with a first name for a last name!

Yes, I have been blessed my entire life with people saying my name backwards!