Question

**Edit (July 2010)**

For those of you stumbling upon this post through Google Search, I wanted to report an update that Apex DeckSavers (providing deck cleaning, deck restoration, and deck staining services in the Apex, Cary, Raleigh, Chapel Hill North Carolina) has been using Armstrong Clark stain for over two years now with amazing results. Coverage is great, oil penetrates deep on the older woods, and the color tone is fantastic. No color shift from the decks I've been tracking either. Scotts been carrying it at the www.thesealerstore.com so all you East Coast folks can get it from there. We primarily restore Pressure Treated Pine and use the Armstrong Clark Semi-Transparent stains for most applications.

Anyone with questions is welcome to email me at charlie(at)apexdecksavers(dot)com

The thread below is several years old and has some great information on the stain before it became well known around the country. Thanks to all that contributed to the thread and the exposure this post has generated for Armstrong Clark.

I'm looking for anyone who has used Armstrong Clark stains or has experimented with them for some time now.

Theres some info in the 2008 sealer poll but I'm looking for people who has used it on a job to give their impressions

What kind of coverage did you get?

Where to purchase it?

Whats the viscosity of the oil?

And finally does anyone have photos of the stain on a deck? Pressure treated pine would be nice. Cedar and Rustic colors in particular

Thanks

Edited by bigchaz
Update on post

224 answers to this question

Different home and stain color. Original condition, prepped, and stained pictures.

Again, the wood is white cedar. The stain is Armstrong-Clark, Super Cedar color.

I really like the Super Cedar on white cedar. Nice natural tone, and the grain of the wood comes through the stain very nicely.

The regular Cedar semi-transparent is a bit too heavily pigmented for my own taste.

May just have to try the Super Cedar on an upcoming Western Red Cedar deck.

While working on a knotty WRC deck, next door neighbor inquires about her stairs. As we had the equipment on site, stripped and stained their stairway.

Wood is old, clear western red cedar with a ton of tannin still present in the wood. Stain is Armstrong-Clark, super cedar color. Single application, about 3/4ths of a gallon. I like it.

Curious what the maintenance is with AC. Clean and re-coat similar to RS?

Matt,

I hope so. But being the oils in the stain are 1/2 linseed, 1/2 paraffinic, not completely sure at this time. In some colors, there is a lot of pigment, and I think some of the pigments are clay as opposed to iron oxides. Multiple maintenance applications may really darken the color and hide the grain. At some point a hard percarb cleaning or light NaOH stripping may be necessary.

Maybe Jake Clark or Mark of Armstrong-Clark can weigh in here. A lot of wood contractors are wondering the same thing.

Just finished two decks (a 10x30 w/ rails on 4 sides and a 10x20) with AC Semi Trans Cedar and really like the color. It does look a little darker than expected but looks very rich and warm while in full sun. Going to pick up final check today and will try to get pics up. Application was almost too easy, feels like a splash and dash. Kudos' to Jake and AC team. I would like to know the maint issue as well. Also anyone know the shelf life of AC?

By the way has anyone applied the Flame Retardant formula?

Beth

I'm guessing thats a California thing. LOL What color are you useing Beth? Get ready for a stress free job though. The samples I've made with all the colors are a little darker than I expected on PTYP, (weathered / cleaned.) My guess is going to let the brightener dwell longer and brighten the wood more than you normally would. The only thing I found I could do wrong with the stain was knock over the can. Did find one thing that works better than any brush I've seen yet..........The blue car wash brush from Wal Mrt for 5 bucks. (4 vinle scrubbing) No kidding, I needed a bucket for some railings but only had a fiver on the truck so I needed a deep brush and wallllaa!!! Better than the 20.00 wooster I was using to that point. Again great stuff. I think I've found my primary "go too" stain.

I finally had a little time to spend making some sample deck boards of AC using the samples I was sent a while back. Wow! I have been a dedicated Olympic Max Toner user for years and have not been looking forward to changing - until now. The ____tone colors are almost exactly like the Oly Max toners; apply easy, thin, quick drying - should flow nicely through a pump-up.

I was impressed with how nicely ALL samples flowed, with virtually all of it penetrating into the wood...even with the semi-solids! I made samples with both fresh PT 5/4 as well as stripped and neutered 5/4 PT. Very different looks, but both look great. As I understand it, all but the clear can be mixed and matched, so it should be possible to "blend" new PT boards. As soon as I recover from my knee replacement (this Wed am) I will be applying AC to my wrap-around porch.

Beth what about your porch you were putting AC on? John good luck with the knee,,and yes the AC works great through a pump up. I was going to break down and buy one of them there fancy sprayer thingies but put it off after being turned on to the AC. It flows just fine through a 20.00 pump. Then back brush with a floor broom. Let it pool up all you want it soaks in over night with no shines. Len's about got me convinced into getting the Deckster though. Has anyone tried the sprayer broom that you can get with the Deckster?

Thanks all for your concern for my health - or lack thereof! As for the PT (I assume you all mean Physical Therapy. On first reading, I was thinking Pressure Treated - but then realized they now use titanium and plastic.) I will be going from the hospital to a rehab facility. My wife is an RN and already has to deal with invalids 40+ hours/week. My goal is to be working by the end of Feb.

John,

Remember to start moving the knee..... ASAP:lgjump:

Good Luck,

Phil

Like it or not, my leg will be moved - either by me or a machine that will move it constantly, 4 hours on/2 hours off.

Beth what about your porch you were putting AC on? John good luck with the knee,,and yes the AC works great through a pump up. I was going to break down and buy one of them there fancy sprayer thingies but put it off after being turned on to the AC. It flows just fine through a 20.00 pump. Then back brush with a floor broom. Let it pool up all you want it soaks in over night with no shines. Len's about got me convinced into getting the Deckster though. Has anyone tried the sprayer broom that you can get with the Deckster?

What about it?

Turned out great. Went down with ease, looks great, and will be a breeze to maintain.

Beth

Great Photo, they look great

Here are some pics of two latest jobs with AC

One is Woodland BRN semi-solid and the other is Mtn. Cedar Semi Solid.

These are hand brushed 100%. I sprayed a smaller deck Friday that I may post pics of after I go back to reset the furniture.