Question

**Edit (July 2010)**

For those of you stumbling upon this post through Google Search, I wanted to report an update that Apex DeckSavers (providing deck cleaning, deck restoration, and deck staining services in the Apex, Cary, Raleigh, Chapel Hill North Carolina) has been using Armstrong Clark stain for over two years now with amazing results. Coverage is great, oil penetrates deep on the older woods, and the color tone is fantastic. No color shift from the decks I've been tracking either. Scotts been carrying it at the www.thesealerstore.com so all you East Coast folks can get it from there. We primarily restore Pressure Treated Pine and use the Armstrong Clark Semi-Transparent stains for most applications.

Anyone with questions is welcome to email me at charlie(at)apexdecksavers(dot)com

The thread below is several years old and has some great information on the stain before it became well known around the country. Thanks to all that contributed to the thread and the exposure this post has generated for Armstrong Clark.

I'm looking for anyone who has used Armstrong Clark stains or has experimented with them for some time now.

Theres some info in the 2008 sealer poll but I'm looking for people who has used it on a job to give their impressions

What kind of coverage did you get?

Where to purchase it?

Whats the viscosity of the oil?

And finally does anyone have photos of the stain on a deck? Pressure treated pine would be nice. Cedar and Rustic colors in particular

Thanks

Edited by bigchaz
Update on post

224 answers to this question

Chaz, Can use a plastic squirrel cage type mixer on a cordless if ya like. Haven't seen the need for such though with most stain I use. By the time I throw it in truck and it's rolled or bounced around abit in transit there doesn't seem to be fall out when I pour it into a fiver spray bucket.

Charlie, yeah you can use a cordless drill. The stain I got from AC I shaked and shaked. Then I opened up the lid and sure enough it didn't mix. I took the paddle and scraped the bottom and then brought it out of the stain to take a look. There was quite a bit of pigment on it. When I spun the paddle the color changed.

I think it all comes down to when the stain was made. If it's sat for quite a while then it's gonna need to be stirred. If it's recently been stirred or made then a few shakes should do it.

Just FYI, Jake is out of this world!!! I just received an email from him at 1:16pm on July 4th stating he'll send me samples of whatever he needs.

P.S. - I promptly told him to go home and enjoy the 4th. Hope he listens, he deserves it.

Looks like I should have samples as well as cleaning/brightening supplies and stain of choice next week. Take care all, Greg

I wouldn't shake some of the water-based film forming stains or poly's. Those are the ones where you can make a mess of a job by doing that. I did shake that bucket when I first got it, but I always use the paddle. I never take a chance with a product not being mixed thoroughly, even though it may have been easily stirred or shaken. That's a good point about the air even with a penetrating oil based coating, the spray wouldn't be as even with air in it.

Edited by YVPW

I have been fortunate to be in contact over the past few years with a mentor. A semi-retired, 35 odd years in the business, wood restoration contractor.

He sent me these pictures of Armstrong Clark stain, color is Super Cedar Blend. The wood is white cedar. Numerous layers of acrylic stripped and sanded.

Two wet on wet applications of Armstrong Clark stain. This color is magnificent on cedar.

No thanks due me, but my thanks to my friend. Aside from the great looking stain, how about that acrylic strip job? That is wood prep at its finest. A first class guy in the wood restoration business longer than the age of many contractors.

I have been fortunate to be in contact over the past few years with a mentor. A semi-retired, 35 odd years in the business, wood restoration contractor.

He sent me these pictures of Armstrong Clark stain, color is Super Cedar Blend. The wood is white cedar. Numerous layers of acrylic stripped and sanded.

Two wet on wet applications of Armstrong Clark stain. This color is magnificent on cedar.

That's sharp!!!

Beth

Beth,

Unfortunately, we do not see any white cedar here in NJ. Ever run across it in Md.?

Still, this color is worth a shot on Western Red Cedar. I think I have just the job for it in August.

Yes, we see quite a bit of it here in MD, have a number of these decks we care for regularly.

Beth

Actually, we do see white cedar here. Only white cedar fences. And we do next to nil of fence work.

Super Cedar Blend is not currently added to their list. I was told that it may be added under the semi-solid colors in the future. I will be getting a sample with my order and will post some pictures.

Just FYI, Jake is out of this world!!! I just received an email from him at 1:16pm on July 4th stating he'll send me samples of whatever he needs.

P.S. - I promptly told him to go home and enjoy the 4th. Hope he listens, he deserves it.

Looks like I should have samples as well as cleaning/brightening supplies and stain of choice next week. Take care all, Greg

And he has a good sense of humor too!!..

He sends me this today:

Cell phones - New Law(2008)

According to new law that goes into effect July 1, 2008 you will no longer be able to use a cell phone while driving unless you have a 'hands free' adapter.

I went to Circuit City and they wanted $50 for a headset with a microphone for my cell phone. Having a friend in the cell phone business, I talked with him and was able to come up with an alternative, working through Office Depot.

These kits are compatible with any mobile phone and one size fits all. I paid him $0.08 each because he bought in quantity.

Then we tried it with Motorola, Sprint, Verizon and Nokia units and they worked perfectly.

A photo is attached so scroll down & take a look and let me know if you want one.

Also, forward this to anyone you know, who has a cell phone, and who may want one!

handsfree.jpg

Edited by MMI Enterprises

Scott, the Super Cedar Blend that Rick posted and that they sent me samples of is in between transparent and semi-transparent.

I got my samples of the A/C stains today. I received 4 oz. each of the semi-transparent stains Sierra Redwood and Rustic Brown. Here are a couple of pics of each. The wood is pressure treated pine. I'm leaning towards the sierra redwood but like the rustic brown more than I thought I would. Both were applied by brush. The left two are the sierra redwood, the right two are the rustic brown.

Yes, this site is great. Otherwise I'd have been at Lowes buying BS off the shelf and wondering why my deck didn't turn out right. Now, hopefully things will be easier and go smoother.

What the heck, I don't start my new job until August 4th, so hopefully the cleaning/brightening and staining will be done in a week or so. I'll start a new thread then 'cuz I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions. Thanks, Greg

Edited by gt2003

Greg -

How did you get it? Would like to try it also...

Hey Bryan -

Call Steve James at the Stain Shop - 810-735-8600 - www.thestainshop.com

He just left my shop this morning from dropping off 90 gallons to me in a last minute need. Great guy to do business with. I'm still more less in the trials side of things but the product has been pretty impressive and I think you'll like it.

Here are a few more shots of the rustic brown (left) and sierra redwood (right). The stain had dried for a few hours and the sun had gone down to where it wasn't causing too much glare. You can see the difference between the PT pine and the stained area. The top part of the stain area is darker due to some concrete that I knocked off the wood prior to staining.(OK, I'll quit posting pics now)

Edited by gt2003