Question

**Edit (July 2010)**

For those of you stumbling upon this post through Google Search, I wanted to report an update that Apex DeckSavers (providing deck cleaning, deck restoration, and deck staining services in the Apex, Cary, Raleigh, Chapel Hill North Carolina) has been using Armstrong Clark stain for over two years now with amazing results. Coverage is great, oil penetrates deep on the older woods, and the color tone is fantastic. No color shift from the decks I've been tracking either. Scotts been carrying it at the www.thesealerstore.com so all you East Coast folks can get it from there. We primarily restore Pressure Treated Pine and use the Armstrong Clark Semi-Transparent stains for most applications.

Anyone with questions is welcome to email me at charlie(at)apexdecksavers(dot)com

The thread below is several years old and has some great information on the stain before it became well known around the country. Thanks to all that contributed to the thread and the exposure this post has generated for Armstrong Clark.

I'm looking for anyone who has used Armstrong Clark stains or has experimented with them for some time now.

Theres some info in the 2008 sealer poll but I'm looking for people who has used it on a job to give their impressions

What kind of coverage did you get?

Where to purchase it?

Whats the viscosity of the oil?

And finally does anyone have photos of the stain on a deck? Pressure treated pine would be nice. Cedar and Rustic colors in particular

Thanks

Edited by bigchaz
Update on post

224 answers to this question

Steve, Glad to see you found us, welcome to TGS. Please note we have a vendor area for vendors to post specials etc. There are some rules in "stickies" there too. Looking forward to reading your posts, I'm sure you have lots of helpful tips to share with our contractors. Have a great day! :)

Beth

man I'm so pumped that Scott is gonna be carrying AC. Cant beat the speed or the prices. Plus Im starting to get cozy with the FedEx guy...I dont even know the UPS driver haha

Bryan: Im using the cedar semi trans on a pressure treated deck 11 years old. It was stained 4 years ago so we'll strip it and put on the AC

And welcome to the forum Steve

Wow, glad to see all the excitement. Once I decide on a color i will clean, brighten then stain my deck and post pics accordingly.

How does the AC stain do when sprayed on? Is there less chance of lap when it's done this way? Thanks again, Greg Thomas

Finished out two decks with the cedar semi transparant today. One a two tone with white rails (painted solid brown before floor and all....) and one a Pressure Treated deck that we stripped.

Pros: Overall application is pretty easy. The stain goes down well and leaves alot of color at the surface. One thing I loved about it was how much pigment was actually in it. It allowed the grain to show through nicely but still had enough color to provide a consistant look and hide any blemishes (such as in the two tones often...). Coverage was really very good. We used about a gallon and a half on the elevated deck 3/4 of a gallon on the two tone maybe. Average is around 150 to 200 sq ft to the gallon I would say.

Cons: Not much really.... Cant stand the metal pails and I would say the pour spout is pretty much useless if you truly have to mix it as directed. The metal pails in general never seem to seal back up very well. If you could simply shake it (haven't tried) the pour spout may be the way to go. Application is easy but you have to be conscious of drips and cut in areas a bit and feather out any spills.

Overall I would say it's a great product to be honest. No real complaints and although I would like to see a better pail it's not something I would want to pay additional for :) Both customers loved the color and the finished product when we were complete so it gets good marks in my book.

Our pictures are not the best but you get the idea

It really depends on the wood. Newer decks that are less porous will most likely bring more of the orange to the surface and I would expect for cedar to do the same. The two tone deck had a little nicer tone to the floor IMO but it was 12 year old neglected pine that had been stripped and sanded out.

I just looked a little more closely at the A-C website. The color I like most is the Transparent Redwood tone. Does this have enought tint to help protect my deck from UV rays? I've been leaning towards the semi-transparents from what I have read, but don't see a color I truly like in the semi tranparents.

The upper half of my deck is about 8 years old and has only had an Olympic toner applied to it about 4-5 years ago. I don't think it was any kind of "stain/sealer" because all it ever did was color the wood.

The lower part of the deck is PT pine, about 3 years old with nothing ever applied to it.

The upper deck obviously needs the moisture, will a transparent give me what I need?

I just looked a little more closely at the A-C website. The color I like most is the Transparent Redwood tone. Does this have enought tint to help protect my deck from UV rays? I've been leaning towards the semi-transparents from what I have read, but don't see a color I truly like in the semi tranparents.

The upper half of my deck is about 8 years old and has only had an Olympic toner applied to it about 4-5 years ago. I don't think it was any kind of "stain/sealer" because all it ever did was color the wood.

The lower part of the deck is PT pine, about 3 years old with nothing ever applied to it.

The upper deck obviously needs the moisture, will a transparent give me what I need?

The Oly Max Toner is a true stain/sealer. In fact, as near as I can tell, the AC Transparent is very similar. Oly has a 3 yr guarantee on graying on decks and 4 (I think) on fences. Have you seen the Oly Max Toner in Canyon Brown?

man I'm so pumped that Scott is gonna be carrying AC. Cant beat the speed or the prices. Plus Im starting to get cozy with the FedEx guy...I dont even know the UPS driver haha

Bryan: Im using the cedar semi trans on a pressure treated deck 11 years old. It was stained 4 years ago so we'll strip it and put on the AC

And welcome to the forum Steve

I placed my order today. I will work on having it added to my sites this weekend!

The Redwood Tone looks more like the orangish-red cedar that I'm used too. I would use a transparent on the 3 year old deck. The 8 year old I don't know, I would really have to see it, especially during the cleaning process. Since it's been sealed before you can probably get by with the transparent on it too.

Glad to see your liked it Greg. I know what you're saying about the metal cans. With the great spread rate you don't have to open many on a job which is a good thing. I wish all stain companies would use the buckets that Baker's Gray Away comes in. Anything is better than the ESI stain buckets. I absolutely hate those. I wonder how many people that use ESI stains just shake it and use it without stirring? I take a razor knife and cut the top out of them so I can easily get my paddle mixer in the bucket. Mad as crap the whole time I have to do it. I know a smaller one can fit in the lid hole but with the rigid bottom it's still hard. I've got to a point that I won't use a stain with buckets like that no matter if it has 14k gold pigment.

Jason: Really? I love the ESI square buckets. You don't get much settling so I transport it upside down and then shake it for a minute before using. They stack and ship real well too. Never had any problems. And the airless tube fits right into the cap. Only thing I don't like about the square is you can never quite get all the product out.

I still have to figure out how to spray from the AC container. Do I need to pour into a container or just leave the lid off and have leaves, dirt, etc land in there? Ive only ever used the square buckets.

Charlie,

Do I need to pour into a container or just leave the lid off and have leaves, dirt, etc land in there? Ive only ever used the square buckets.

Go to a good local paint store and purchase, I think they call 'em paint strainers. Anyway, it is a fine mesh fabric with an elastic perimeter band, fitted for 5 gal. containers. Inexpensive.

You didn't ask who... (your favorite acronym)

Beth

Hah! Good for my little 2nd wood minx and the best distributor in the US. That accent gets this old blood a' boiling!

Still, we are a paraffinic oil contractor. I'll wait, seen too much for too many years.

Charlie, when I've used an airless I've always just mixed it up and used the same bucket the stain comes in. I don't think you would really have to worry about debris getting in the stain. Unless it's real windy outside, and then you're probably not spraying anyway.

I've never been able to get all the pigment off the bottom of those cube containers by just shaking it with my hands. As long as all the pigment is off the bottom you're probably good to go. Now I know a shaker at a paint store could. I personally believe every stain should be mixed thoroughly with a paddle mixer. I use the black one from Sherwin-Williams, it works excellent. I like to watch it change colors from the mixing and also knowing I've gotten every bit of the ingredients blended. I know I'm probably stir crazy, lol. There are some water based stains that you can't mix like that, including polyurethane. Too much air into the finish can cause tiny bubbles.

You will need a paddle attachment for the AC stain.

I just used a stir stick :) I'll shake the next one to see if it mixes well enough to use the pour spout. UPS banged it up pretty bad so Im a bit afraid to open it right now. The can is about an inch shorter than the other one.

Edited by Greg R

Cordless drill fine to use with the paddle mixer?

Charlie,

The AC stain we received was so well integrated, I'm not so sure that a hard drill/paddle mix was needed. Still have a 5'er we will use later this season, so will see if it is still good to go without a drill paddle.

Ahhhhh...... the power of the boards :)

Absolutely true. Grandkids will be asking their elders how they managed to learn anything prior to the internet.

And the kids will be right. Most of my generation did not learn much due to difficult, sometimes inaccessible, information.

It is a new world.