Sign in to follow this  
Scott Stone

Dirty jobs!

Question

We have all seen the show dirty jobs, and a lot of us have been involved in cleaning things that were just plain nasty. So, in order, what were some of your dirtiest, nastiest, filthiest jobs, and just for grins and giggles, what did they pay?

1. Landfill Equipment, not too bad, until I had to crawl underneath, in the landfill, to clean the belly pans and bottom of the engine. Mind you, I could not clean the bottom until the top was done, and they did not move it between areas. $75 an hour

2. Pavement milling machine. Very tough. Had to do a lot of presoaking of the asphalt with diesel fuel to get it soft enough to pressure wash off. They supplie the chemicals. $45 an hour (Years ago when the standard was $40 an hour and fuel was less than a buck a gallon)

3. Garbage trucks, side loaders. Had to get EVERY nook and cranny for the city, and the drivers did nothing to help. They also wanted us to crawl underneath and clean the undercarriage, and would not lift the bodies. $18 each

This is a start, so what are some of yours?

14 answers to this question

1) Garbage transfer trailers, they were replacing the "walking floor" and had to clean out all the old rotten remains in the floor cracks. $75.00/hour

2) Pigeon crap, in the emergency exit stairwells from a theater. same, $75.00 hour

Large back hoe sunk in a pond being dug, entire engine compartment and cab filled with rock hard dried clay. I had to clean out every channel and cubby. Ended up washing out about 5-6 yards of mud. (messiest job)

De-Greasing heavy equipment with 6" of caked on grease at all the fittings. Paint prep work-very detailed and time consuming you have to get every square inch under neath tracks...there is a lot of stuff stuck on those. (most time consuming)

Hoods (least favorite) I don't know how you guys do them incredibly frustrating and that smell stays on you and everthing forever. Icky.

Edited by Paul Kassander

I've cleaned many stone surfaces where I get very dirty( moss on Brick, blue stone, ect...) but gross has another meaning. Like a dog breeder and a hundred poops on the deck from the winter( will not go back). I cleaned all the piping in a parking garage ( bird poop and gunk) before a college graduation.

Garbage transfers nasty nasty nasty. found body parts once. (finger)

Currently the dumpsters we wash are pretty nasty. I would say compactors are gross as well.

Dairys and pig barns are high up on the list. Meat packing plants are pretty nasty.

Edited by Ron Musgraves

Dumpsters are nasty and don't pay well. Worse than dumpsters are the greese pit dumpsters. I really hate doing those.

A few years back I had to walk off a job (house) because of the spiders. The spiders were EVERYWHERE and were big and nasty. I told the home owner to call me back when she got the spiders taked care of. She never called back and that was just fine with me.

We did over six hundred dumpsters in march. We are shooting for 800 this month. by november we hope we will be over 1000..

I love dumpsters, I love apartment complex dumpster. They are easy, but your right about grease cans and dumpsters. OH yeah, 114 degrees helps also.

We did over six hundred dumpsters in march. We are shooting for 800 this month. by november we hope we will be over 1000..

I love dumpsters, I love apartment complex dumpster. They are easy, but your right about grease cans and dumpsters. OH yeah, 114 degrees helps also.

ron you cleaning dumpsters or the pads? Price?

Its been said before, but I have to say garbage trucks, chicken houses and probably the dirtest is heavy equipment. We wash a lot of machinery and when they export a machine to another country they have to be absoulutley dirt free. I mean no dirt in any crack or cranny. You have to wash out all the dirt from the tracks, all compartments, under carriage etc. I'm talking all the dirt must go, all of it. We price this by piece and depending on what kind of machine it is we het from $300 all the way to $850 for the big boys like D10 or Komatsu 600 track hoes etc.

All is fun in the life of a pressure washer.

Oh yeah reefer trailer wash outs can be nasty also.

Edited by R L S

Oh ya dairy trailers I do a lot of those, generally not too bad just one type is.

They have a trailer or two that they store the expired milk in for the pig farmers (pig trailers). After the farmer empties it usually 1-2 times a month we have to clean them. The milk sits in there so long un-refrigerated that the jugs explode and leave behind a spoiled milk goo. They are nasty...you have to brush the maggots off yourself when done (at least in the summer). That is one disgusting job, just thinking about it gives me the creepies.

Cat generators inside semi trailer. They are portable powerstations for the electric company. I left looking like a reverse raccoon I was black head to toe except where i my sunglasses covered my eyes.

A patio covered in dog pee & poo....I turned that part of the house down.