Sign in to follow this  
Celeste

Boy's Rite of Passage?

Question

Is there some small print somewhere that says a boy has to learn to burn ants with a magnifying glass??? Roger is planning to teach my son this little trick - says every boy is supposed to know how to burn ants with a magnifying glass?!? I say NO. Is this a guy thing that I just don't get or what?????

Celeste

72 answers to this question

What if the ants are part of a colony that has invaded your home? Are you saying one method of extermination is better than another?

Did you hunt for sport...or food...?

Beth

I hunt for food. I enjoy hunting, but it is not senseless. Shooting a deer and letting it in the woods is senseless, what would be the point then. Extermination is one thing, don't think extermination was the goal in the original posting in this thread and if that was the only method then that would be fine. But teaching kids it's all part of having a good time is just ignorance. Don't try to spin it into extermination.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

Well jeff,

I think you just stepped on your tit. Hunting is necessary?? Killing bees is necessary? Hardly. You are simply bending your own morals to fit with what you do and how you live your life. Don't pass that judgment on to others who are just bonding with their children.

What about rites of passage such as hazing that goes on in college during rush week?

These a young men and women, obviously who have done well enough to get into college (read that as smart kids from good homes), and they are subjected to cruel act to join a social group?

Have you ever studied Anthropology? There are some very cruel, but very accepted acts among many cultures that are woven into the fabric of society. Heck, just look at circumcision!

Beth

Well jeff,

I think you just stepped on your tit. Hunting is necessary?? Killing bees is necessary? Hardly. You are simply bending your own morals to fit with what you do and how you live your life. Don't pass that judgment on to others who are just bonding with their children.

Hunting is not senseless, it's food and yes it's necessary. And killing bees when they're close to home and kids is necessary. People die every year from bee stings. Either one is senseless. If you don't find hunting necessary to save money on food well then good for you.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

Hunting is not senseless, it's food and yes it's necessary. And killing bees when they're close to home and kids is necessary. Either one is senseless. If you don't find hunting necessary to save money on food well then good for you.

Jeff

How is hunting necessary when you can go to the store?

How is eating meat (which promotes the further slaughter of life) something we need to do? It's a choice we make based upon socialization and choices. I love red meat. I buy it every week, at the store. If I had to go kill it for food I would see it like I do sport. I would be a vegetarian! Not my thing. Been there, done that, like it in a wrapper thank you very much.

Beth

I have a friend who's son thought it was ok to douse the stray cats with gasoline and set them on fire because they were eating their cats' food. And the father (my friend) thinks that's ok, because he's getting rid of the stray cats. I guess that's a form of extermination.

Jeff

How is hunting necessary when you can go to the store?

How is eating meat (which promotes the further slaughter of life) something we need to do? It's a choice we make based upon socialization and choices. I love red meat. I buy it every week, at the store. If I had to go kill it for food I would see it like I do sport. I would be a vegetarian! Not my thing. Been there, done that, like it in a wrapper thank you very much.

Beth

Well Beth, not everyone always has money to just "go to the store".

Can't compare burning ants with a magnifying glass to hunting and feeding your family.

I never said not to kill anything, it's for what purpose and how you go about it that makes the difference.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

I have a friend who's son thought it was ok to douse the stray cats with gasoline and set them on fire because they were eating their cats' food. And the father (my friend) thinks that's ok, because he's getting rid of the stray cats. I guess that's a form of extermination.

Jeff

I see that as cruel and inhumane. It's a cat, which is capable of being a pet in a good home. I have pet cats. I don't have pet ants.

Beth

I hate cats, but see this as terrible. The kid might have burned ants when he was little and figured , what the heck it's only a cat.

Jeff

If you don't find hunting necessary to save money on food well then good for you.

Look, I hunt, fish,trap, and garden. I eat the meat and produce I harvest and don't wantonly waste the resource. I've been hunting since I was 5 (now 45), and my children all do too. I definitely don't hunt to save money on food, I do it for sport. I eat what I kill or catch, but I could just as easily go to the market and buy it. Hunting isn't free either; license, ammo, gear, time, gas, butchering costs, etc. Probably cheaper to go to the store and pick up a steak in reality.

This is about kids burning ants. I say fry em all. I'm a fan of the aerosol can and lighter method, but thats just me. Peace dude.

Look, I hunt, fish,trap, and garden. I eat the meat and produce I harvest and don't wantonly waste the resource. I've been hunting since I was 5 (now 45), and my children all do too. I definitely don't hunt to save money on food, I do it for sport. I eat what I kill or catch, but I could just as easily go to the market and buy it. Hunting isn't free either; license, ammo, gear, time, gas, butchering costs, etc. Probably cheaper to go to the store and pick up a steak in reality.

This is about kids burning ants. I say fry em all. I'm a fan of the aerosol can and lighter method, but thats just me. Peace dude.

What you're saying about hunting may or may not be correct cost wise. But it is not senseless either way.

Jeff

Jeff,

Just realized that I grew up down the road from you. I lived in Somerset County - graduated H.S.

Yea, thats cool small world. I think that's like 1.5 hours away. I live right near Raystown Lake.

Jeff

Burning ants with a magnifying glass can be viewed in many different ways. A child learning that ants can be burned under the suns magnification could be considered a science lesson, a learning tool that may help his/her increase their understanding of the world in which they live in.

Just because the act may seem cruel to you believe it or not experimentation, and trying different things as a child is very important in their development process, and helps contribute to their ultimate abilty to adapt, thrive, and survive in this world.

The very essence of nature is cruel. My cat catches lizards on my screen porch from time to time when I'm not around to save them. He plays with them until they are dead. He has no interest in eating them, but his curiosity and INSTICT pushes him to act this way. Is this cruelty? I don't think so it's just nature.

Burning ants with a magnifying glass can be viewed in many different ways. A child learning that ants can be burned under the suns magnification could be considered a science lesson, a learning tool that may help his/her increase their understanding of the world in which they live in.

Just because the act may seem cruel to you believe it or not experimentation, and trying different things as a child is very important in their development process, and helps contribute to their ultimate abilty to adapt, thrive, and survive in this world.

The very essence of nature is cruel. My cat catches lizards on my screen porch from time to time when I'm not around to save them. He plays with them until they are dead. He has no interest in eating them, but his curiosity and INSTICT pushes him to act this way. Is this cruelty? I don't think so it's just nature.

As discussed earlier in this post, if you would have read it all you'd know ,... when the kids do it then yea, kids will be kids,..but for ADULTS to SHOW kids that some lives are expendable,... well then that is a different story.

Jeff

As discussed earlier in this post, if you would have read it all you'd know ,... when the kids do it then yea, kids will be kids,..but for ADULTS to SHOW kids that some lives are expendable,... well then that is a different story.

Jeff

Yeah, I did read the whole post, and my point is still valid.

WE DO WHAT IS IN OUR NATURE TO DO, AND SOMETIMES THAT INVOLVES CRUELITY FOR PURPOSES, OF ENTERTAINMENT, SCIENCE, CURIOSTY, LEARNING, AND TEACHING.

LOOK AT IT AS HUMAN INSTICT, BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT IT IS.

Yeah, I did read the whole post, and my point is still valid.

WE DO WHAT IS IN OUR NATURE TO DO, AND SOMETIMES THAT INVOLVES CRUELITY FOR PURPOSES, OF ENTERTAINMENT, SCIENCE, CURIOSTY, LEARNING, AND TEACHING.

LOOK AT IT AS HUMAN INSTICT, BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT IT IS.

You sound like a lawyer for one of those sick ******* you see on the news.If you're an adult and still find it invigorating to be cruel to other living things just for the sake of it, or for entertainment or whatever,... then you've got some serious issues. Especially if you're teaching young kids that it's ok for entertainment purposes.

Jeff

You sound like a lawyer for one of those sick ******* you see on the news.If you're an adult and still find it invigorating to be cruel to other living things just for the sake of it, or for entertainment or whatever,... then you've got some serious issues. Especially if you're teaching young kids that it's ok for entertainment purposes.

Jeff

Go lay in an ant bed and I think you will discover very quickly that the ants loyalty is to themselves and they can give rats butt about you, or any other human for that matter.

Look, I don't condone cruelty, but I think it's ridiculous that you turn a light hearted thread about ant burning into a cruelty to animals tirade.

You say it's not right turn burn ants because it is useless cruelty. I say from a humans prospective, that sacrificing a few ants to teach your young boy something kind of neat and even scientific is a small price. I don't think showing a boy how to burn ants with a magnifying glass is going to make him any more likely to burn cats, or hang dogs either. Let's keep things in perspective, what do you say chappy.

Neat and scientific?? Tells me something about you is what I think.

Jeff

You don't think magnifying the suns light rays to produce enough intensity to burn the exoskeleton of an ant is scientific and neat? :lglolly:

You don't think magnifying the suns light rays to produce enough intensity to burn the exoskeleton of an ant is scientific and neat? :lglolly:

Whatever man!

Jeff

Burning ants is no less cruel to tham than me having to take my 10 year old daughter to a Jonas Bros. concert. I had no clue that 20000 screaming girls between 10 and 15 could be so loud. When we walked out I felt like telling the parents waiting at the gate for their daughters they were cowards. Boy, I wish I would have taken ear plugs.

Burning ants is no less cruel to tham than me having to take my 10 year old daughter to a Jonas Bros. concert. I had no clue that 20000 screaming girls between 10 and 15 could be so loud. When we walked out I felt like telling the parents waiting at the gate for their daughters they were cowards. Boy, I wish I would have taken ear plugs.

And you know whats''s really crazy Scott, is someday you will REALLY miss doing that kind of thing with your kids.

Jeff