Sign in to follow this  
Celeste

Boy's Rite of Passage?

Question

Is there some small print somewhere that says a boy has to learn to burn ants with a magnifying glass??? Roger is planning to teach my son this little trick - says every boy is supposed to know how to burn ants with a magnifying glass?!? I say NO. Is this a guy thing that I just don't get or what?????

Celeste

72 answers to this question

Well Beth, not everyone always has money to just "go to the store".

Can't compare burning ants with a magnifying glass to hunting and feeding your family.

I never said not to kill anything, it's for what purpose and how you go about it that makes the difference.

Jeff

Oh gimme a break...You can't afford to buy meat so you hunt? Maybe spend that time washing a couple houses and you could buy meat rather than chasing it, wounded, through the woods? Or are you one of those hunters whose every shot is a kill shot?

As discussed earlier in this post, if you would have read it all you'd know ,... when the kids do it then yea, kids will be kids,..but for ADULTS to SHOW kids that some lives are expendable,... well then that is a different story.

Jeff

So ant lives (or bees or deer) are only expendable when it suits our selfish purposes?

So ant lives (or bees or deer) are only expendable when it suits our selfish purposes?

Senseless compared to necessary. And who are you to say what hunting can provide me and my family? Worry about your own damn self!! A lot of you on here need to realize that hunting provides food for a lot of needy people. Just going to the store isn't always an option. I guess a city boy like you wouldn't know anything about that.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

Oh gimme a break...You can't afford to buy meat so you hunt? Maybe spend that time washing a couple houses and you could buy meat rather than chasing it, wounded, through the woods? Or are you one of those hunters whose every shot is a kill shot?

Mike, it's none of your business how I take care of my family. I really don't need a clown like you telling me how to survive.

Jeff

Senseless compared to necessary. And who are you to say what hunting can provide me and my family? Worry about your own damn self!! A lot of you on here need to realize that hunting provides food for a lot of needy people. Just going to the store isn't always an option. I guess a city boy like you wouldn't know anything about that.

Jeff

Sorry, killing bees or hunting isn't necessary. You can fill your freezer much faster working a couple extra jobs each week during hunting season. That's such a BS excuse. I've met ONE hunter in my life who truly hunted to feed his family. And if you want to take it further, eating meat isn't necessary, so what you're saying is that the lives of the animals you eat are expendable simply because you enjoy hunting and eating meat, not because you need the meat to survive.

And as far as worrying about your own damned self, maybe you should have done that in your first post in this thread.

If you want to use "needy people" as your justification to chase injured and scared animals around the woods, be my guest...seems a bit intellectually dishonest to me...

You think I'm a city boy because I don't hunt? LOL

Mike, it's none of your business how I take care of my family. I really don't need a clown like you telling me how to survive.

Jeff

And it's none of your business if Roger Gothorpe wants to teach his son to fry ants with a magnifying glass...but you had to go and open your mouth there...I guess that only goes one way, eh?

Mike,

I agree...If a parent wants to teach their kid the art of frying ants...that is their choice as a parent.....regardless who agrees or disagrees with them.

Burn them...... Just last week one got my son in the foot and he took a nice trip to the E.R ....Then again we have fire ants and they will let you know they are there...

Ants are full of protein and kinda tasty. Mr Jeff, Bees are way more important to the quality of life than Ants. I would love for you to come my house and walk around in my yard with your barefeet. The fire ANTS would love some fresh meat from PA. LOL

This is going to be one of those things that will turn into a religion/politics type argument. Everyone will think that they are correct and no one will give an inch in their arguments. Somewhere there is a happy medium. I think in this situation we all need to see where we are, individually, on the line and allow others to choose their own spot on the line.

This is going to be one of those things that will turn into a religion/politics type argument. Everyone will think that they are correct and no one will give an inch in their arguments. Somewhere there is a happy medium. I think in this situation we all need to see where we are, individually, on the line and allow others to choose their own spot on the line.

Couldn't have said it better Scott......

Yea, you're right Scott, I will end it now!!

Jeff

Burning ants is no less cruel to tham than me having to take my 10 year old daughter to a Jonas Bros. concert. I had no clue that 20000 screaming girls between 10 and 15 could be so loud. When we walked out I felt like telling the parents waiting at the gate for their daughters they were cowards. Boy, I wish I would have taken ear plugs.

Kinda felt like an ant under a magnifying glass, huh?...:D

Ants and magnifying glass? I am so glad no one here knows how we used to put gas on the ant nests and light the hill on fire. Then we would stir up the ant hill. Or how we we see how many grasshoppers fit in a gallon jar, filled w/water. About that then Mom would come outside and ask the question "How would you like it if a big giant put you in a jar and filled it with water?" Then she would send us to the garden and pull tomato worms off and step on them.

The next non-PC thread will be how to teach your kid to pee on a tree and how they have to bring wood back to the camp fire or they cannot play in the fire.

We've decided to compromise and leave the ants alone. Rather, the guys are going to remove fleas from the dog and burn them up instead :)

You could just burn the fleas off the dog and save the time of picking them off first.:lglolly:

there used to be a band called ten thousand maniacs. I was in the middle of them.

One of the few 'chick' bands I ever liked. Great band.

Of course I had a huge crush on Natalie Merchant. I spoke to her briefly in the Quarter the day before the show at Tulane.